A real solution (so far) to my P89 scope mount problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
This is an update to my original post shown here.
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=254209&p=2551487&hilit=P89#p2548217

To summarize that thread, I needed a red dot for my P89 because I can no longer see the iron sights as clearly as I'd like. With help from a couple of folks on this forum I was able to find a B-Square mount for a P85. Thank you again for the help. The mount fit perfectly on my P89, but after 20 (or so) shots the mount and a mag were destroyed. I did not fault the mount or B Square. I took a gamble that a P85 mount would work on my P89, and lost. My guess is the P89 slide moves with more force than the P85 slide, and the extra ooomph (that's a technical term) caused the B Square slide release pin to bend and jam the slide, and chew up the mag lips at the same time.

Fast forward a year. I found a JPEnterprises mount that replaces the rear sight on the P89. Only JP red dots will ft the mount, so I got a JP4. Yesterday I got the range with it for the first time.
After exactly 4 shots with factory Winchester 115gr ammo, the dot went dead!
Long story short, it was only a dead battery. After 150 more shots the thing is working great!.

Sorry for the long posts on this subject, but the P89 is my favorite 9mm and I really, really, really wanted to find a solution to my sight problem. Now, if I do poorly in my bulls eye matches, I have only one excuse...I stink! :D

s4s4u

Hunter
Glad you got something that worked for you. I have a similar setup on a 1911. I am surprised that little sight can withstand the repetitive cycling of the slide, but it does.

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
s4s4u said:
Glad you got something that worked for you. I have a similar setup on a 1911. I am surprised that little sight can withstand the repetitive cycling of the slide, but it does.

Thanks!
I agree. It took me a while to believe they would hold up, but several of the guys I shoot with convinced me when I saw how theirs have held up over time.