Is the 9e discontinued?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Steelerdude1

Bearcat
I saw the 9e was on sale at a local shop, so I checked it out. Before I bought one I wanted to do some research. First place I went was ruger.com and it's not listed.

The gun shop told me it's basicall the same gun as the SR 9 without all the bells and whistles.

Anyone have any comparisons of the 2? What other than the 9e only coming with 1 magazene are the differences?

If it's been discontinued, does that affect me in any way if I buy new?

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Differnces: Sights (Novak cut on rear on 9e), No popup loaded round indicator on 9e, less machining on slide (serrations). Magazines & internals are identical between the models.

I've had a 9e for about 3 years as my EDC gun. Never any problems with it. It has been discontinued because it wasn't making money for the company, but it's a damn good gun. Keep in mind that it's not a competition or hunting piece. It's an accurate and dependable bedside/carry gun that is not picky about ammo. It'll eat whatever you feed it, and ask for more.

As for customer support, Ruger as always, will fix it if you do have a problem with it.

Buy one, you won't regret it. There are after market performance parts available also, if you've a mind to tweak it.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
I still think it's a good buy and it shares a wide range of parts compatibility with the Sr9. The removal of what was a way overdone loaded chamber indicator to me at least actually was an improvement over the Sr9.

The old loaded chamber indicator often gave me issues holstering when seated in a car seat. If you are wearing a kydex holster it would seem to catch at the top and prevent the gun from traveling the rest of the way home. Resulting in a very awkward set of movements just to get it back in.

With the 9e that's no worry.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Its a great value. Get one.

"As for customer support, Ruger as always, will fix it if you do have a problem with it."
Agree, but they will return it to as-sold condition and specs.

Spim

Bearcat
I was at my LGS yesterday poking around and the 9E wasn't anywhere in the shop, at least new ones. They did have a couple of lightly used ones. They had several new in stock when I bought my sr9 a year ago. I didn't ask about the status, just saw the used ones and confirmed they were 9E's.

TBH I probably should have bought the 9E vs the sr9 when I was shopping back then, save a few bucks but the store cut me a pretty good deal at the time so I was happy with the purchase. (Still prefer shooting my P89 at the range vs the SR9 but thats just me.

gunman42782

Hunter
I love the 9E. And I am one of those guys that would have bet money that I wouldn't have liked it, as I am not a striker fired kind of guy. I hated the SR9 because of the loaded chamber indicator, and I honestly think the 9E looks much better. In my hand, the 9E comes closest to feeling like a slightly bigger 1911 than any gun I ever held, and it shoot like a house a fire. It points naturally as well. For the money, I don't think they can be beat.

teuthis

Single-Sixer
I have one. I am glad I purchased it because they are no longer being made. That is a shame because as stated above, they are ergonomic, reliable and mine is my favorite pistol. I am thinking of getting a used one when it shows up.