While cleaning my LC9s Pro..

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tom W

Blackhawk
I went to the range Saturday and fired a box of .358 diameter bullets I'd cast, mostly for when I had my Glock and the Ruger. I have had inclement weather and my Wife's son came over one day and her daughter is here from Ithaca. He left, and today my wife and her daughter went to Auburn to see SIL. I stayed home and cleaned my pistol and two rifles that I had fired a few times. All three had fired cast bullets that I lubed with Carnauba Red. All three just had some powder residue in the barrels, not a hint of leading. It took me a minute to remember how to disassemble the pistol. I didn't remember if it needed to be cocked or dry fired. Anyway, the pistol cleaned up well. I was not really surprised to see no leading, as I've been using CR for years without incident.
As an aside, My CZ hates the .358 bullets, but will gobble up the .357 just fine. So I've been shooting all of the larger diameter bullets in the Ruger, and handloading the empty brass with the Lee 356 120 TC from a 6 cavity mold that throws them a bit heavy, around 124 gr. and am sizing them to .357, a box at a time... My larger rounds I put in an old factory box with the info on a label, the smaller loads go into the little plastic boxes by MTM or Plano. I like those 100 round boxes, or those with an actual hinge, rather than those with the "flex" hinge. Getting picky in my old age. And as they just opened up an Academy Sports store just across the river in Columbus, I'm subject to spend s dollar or six on some more boxes....

Tom W

Blackhawk
I've been handloading and casting since the early '70's. The only handguns that I have had that have seen factory loads were a Colt GM that I had, and the Glock 30, and two boxes of Federal aluminum cased 9mm for the Glock 17. They were too cheap to pass up. I learned about the Carnauba Red from the Castboolits forum. I tried making my own and my results ended up as flux when casting....