SR 9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mikein

Single-Sixer
Just picked up a brand new 9mm SR 9 and would like any feedback on how they run. Trigger (dry fire) feels very gritty, like most of the Ruger Lawyer Triggers seem to feel. I've torn it down, cleaned it up, and ready to take it to the range, so share your experiences with me, please. What ammo does it seem to like the best? I'll be reloading for it once I get a couple hundred rounds of factory fodder through it, so I'd like to hear about your pet hand loads as well.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
It pretty much a typical striker fired 9 mm handgun, nothing particularly strange about it. The trigger is typical of the type and about the same as the Glocks I've shot. There are aftermarket action parts which can improve the trigger if you want to spend the money.

What ammo does it like best? No one can answer that and you will have to experiment with your particular gun. Mine eats everything I've fed it from WW White Box and CCI Blazer Brass to premium self defense ammo and a variety of lead, jacketed and powder coated bullet handloads. I haven't heard of any particular load the SR series doesn't work properly with. Ruger themselves says NO +P+loads which absolutely no manufacturer recommends either.

Otherwise, shoot it and enjoy it.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
22/45 Fan said:
It pretty much a typical striker fired 9 mm handgun, nothing particularly strange about it. The trigger is typical of the type and about the same as the Glocks I've shot. There are aftermarket action parts which can improve the trigger if you want to spend the money.

Well, the trigger on my SR9c is far better than any Glock I have shot.

Mine was gritty when new. It smoothed out considerably by about 300 to 400 rounds. I would recommend spending particular attention to lube the striker blocker button. I noticed a big difference after flooding it with CLP the first time. Some say that removing the mag disconnect collar improves the trigger. I tried it and did not notice any difference. I would clean the striker channel, if you haven't done so already.

My SR9c eats anything I throw at it, including the nasty steel cased stuff.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I have a 9e. Functionally identical to the SR9, but without the pop-up load indicator (which has been known to cause problems). Never had a problem with the 9e, including running 3 full mags as fast as i could pull the trigger as a stress test. I did swap out the factory 18lb recoil spring for a 20lb from Galloway, and removed the mag safety/disconnect. No issues with any ammo. It is my EDC, and I use Hornady Critical Duty 135grn +P for carry ammo.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
GunnyGene said:
.....but without the pop-up load indicator (which has been known to cause problems.
How has it been a problem? Mine never has. I know some owners consider it unsightly and unnecessary but I've never heard of it causing functioning problems. I have a 9c and I find the LCI to be a useful confirmation that I didn't short-stroke the slide while loading it. The stiff recoil spring on these guns requires some effort to fully retract the slide and it confirms i did.

OP, there are aftermarket gadgets to remove it and fill in the resulting gap if it offends you.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
22/45 Fan said:
GunnyGene said:
.....but without the pop-up load indicator (which has been known to cause problems.
How has it been a problem? Mine never has. I know some owners consider it unsightly and unnecessary but I've never heard of it causing functioning problems. I have a 9c and I find the LCI to be a useful confirmation that I didn't short-stroke the slide while loading it. The stiff recoil spring on these guns requires some effort to fully retract the slide and it confirms i did.

OP, there are aftermarket gadgets to remove it and fill in the resulting gap if it offends you.

I've read a couple reports of it sticking in the up position, or not being compatible with some holsters.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
My 9e and SR9c's have eaten everything I feed them. The trigger is one of the best out of the box striker triggers and will get better with use.

loiblb

Single-Sixer
My SR9 is better then most 9's with most any ammo I have owned. It rides along the primer with the firing pen but not to the point of being a issue. Just a little trace of a mark. The gun does what needs to be done and does not stop doing it.

Taterman

Buckeye
Clovishound said:
Well, the trigger on my SR9c is far better than any Glock I have shot.

Mine was gritty when new. It smoothed out considerably by about 300 to 400 rounds. I would recommend spending particular attention to lube the striker blocker button. I noticed a big difference after flooding it with CLP the first time. Some say that removing the mag disconnect collar improves the trigger. I tried it and did not notice any difference. I would clean the striker channel, if you haven't done so already.

My SR9c eats anything I throw at it, including the nasty steel cased stuff.

I'll have to do this on my SR9, thanks for the tip.

mikein

Single-Sixer
I lubed the striker blocker button, cleaned the striker channel, and noticed an immediate improvement. I don't intend to remove the mag disconnect collar unless, after a few hundred rounds, I feel the trigger still needs some smoothing out.