RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:05 am 
Bearcat

Just when I thought I had all of the issues with cast bullets in my American .45 solved, it jammed up again. As hard as I tried to like that gun, it just was not reliable with my loads (loads that I have been using successfully for 50+ years in 1911 pattern guns). I sold the American and bought a Remington RP 45. Right out of the box I shot it better, it runs with semi-wadcutter bullets and is a 15+1 capacity gun.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:45 am 
Single-Sixer

I recently bought a used RAP 45. Both mags wouldn't hold open the slide administratively. I called Ruger customer service and they sent me a new one with an envelope to send the others back and they will send me another new one upon receipt. Fair enough I thought.

A side note. I carry a 9mm RAP for work as a uniformed Police Officer and have for about three years now. I went though the early 9mm magazine issues so I assumed it was just the followers in the 45 but we shall see.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:17 am 
Bearcat

Single-Sixer
The American is a great design, for me the SR series guns, just seemed a little bit easier to carry and use. The American trigger is much better, the chassis is a real innovation, the feeding issues with different cast bullets in the .45ACP, is what "put me off".

Ruger sent me a couple of new magazines and a different recoil spring assembly, which was an improvement, but still not the answer for SWC bullets.

As a career police officer. I am aware that reliability is of paramount importance. Hopefully the new mags will solve your difficulties.

Regardless of the "hype", the Rugers are better guns than the "Austrian" imports.