SR 40 Stainless

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jules

Single-Sixer
I have been wanting to own one for a while. $299. for a new one seems very good. But not many folks are shooting the 40s. I like the caliber. And input?

We have had this SR40 for a number of years and it is a fine pistol:

VQFsevD.jpg

conrad

Bearcat
$299 is a great price, I bought one a couple months ago for $399 from my LGS and saw one for $499 at Bass Pro Shops. Nice addition to my SR9 and SR45. I've put a couple hundred rounds through it so far with no problems.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I expect this low price is indicative of the declining interest in the .40 S&W cartridge. Ruger doesn't even offer it's newer American pistols in that chambering. Law enforcement sales have trended toward 9 mm as easier to shoot, greater magazine capacity, easier on the guns, less expensive to feed and more than adequate performance with proper duty ammunition. Or they have chosen .45 ACP as a bigger bullet with manageable recoil and relatively easy on guns. The .40 S&W is a relatively harsh cartridge on both the shooter and firearm and it's field performance improvement over the 9 mm is very small.

jules

Single-Sixer
The 40 is personal preference for me. I have no problem with control of the 40 over the 9. Plus I have a ton of reloading supplies. I will say when ya get things moving over 1150fps it's a hand full. I like it :D

FergusonTO35

Hunter
The .40 is an outstanding cartridge with lead bullet reloads. I feed my Glock 22 4.2 grains of Bullseye under a Lee 401-175-TC for a very consistent 906 fps. Easy to shoot, accurate, and can put the smack down on anything in pistol range here in the Bluegrass. It's like having a 15 shot .44 Special!!

jules

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
The .40 is an outstanding cartridge with lead bullet reloads. I feed my Glock 22 4.2 grains of Bullseye under a Lee 401-175-TC for a very consistent 906 fps. Easy to shoot, accurate, and can put the smack down on anything in pistol range here in the Bluegrass. It's like having a 15 shot .44 Special!!

Thanks good to hear it.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I really like this cartridge. The biggest mistake is ammo companies loading it too hot. It's hard on guns and most people can't shoot it well, which I would think is the opposite of what you would want for an LE gun. Back the charge down to a reasonable level and the .40 is a fantastic round. If the load I mentioned won't kill something cleanly you need to move up to a rifle.

jules said:
The 40 is personal preference for me. I have no problem with control of the 40 over the 9. Plus I have a ton of reloading supplies. I will say when ya get things moving over 1150fps it's a hand full. I like it :D

I also am a fan of the forty. Far better performance than any 9mm ever thought of.

I truly don't get the part of the forty being punishing. The evolution of shooters I guess.

And the price of this pistol I think is an absolute bargain. :mrgreen:

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I think the punishing part mostly stems from the emergence of poly frame guns. When firing a factory load out of my Glock 22, the heavy slide feels like it is going to jump off the flyweight lower and out of my hand. I used to know a guy that had a Beretta 96, and that thing was the easiest shooting .40 I've ever tried.

pzlehr

Bearcat
I plan on getting one. Internet gossip has it that Ruger may stop making the SR model. I love them, accurate, tough,etc. Right now I only see them for around $400.00...be nice if I could find one for $300. I have the SR9,9c and 40c, so a full size will round it out.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
That is why I don't want to jump into any Ruger autos. I don't want to suddenly discover I can't get parts for it when Ruger makes it walk the plank in favor of something completely different.

Mike J

Hunter
pzlehr said:
I plan on getting one. Internet gossip has it that Ruger may stop making the SR model. I love them, accurate, tough,etc. Right now I only see them for around $400.00...be nice if I could find one for $300. I have the SR9,9c and 40c, so a full size will round it out.

I just saw on gun.deals CDNN has them for $299.99 plus $19.74 shipping. Of course you would have to figure in what whoever you use charges for a transfer.

Latest posts