Security 9 review

Help Support Ruger Forum:

love2fish

Bearcat
I only have 200 rounds through mine so far, but I like it. I find that pulling the trigger back smoothly, instead of trying to stage it, gives me better accuracy. Probably because I shoot my wheelie DA only. The Ruger's pull, though, is lighter than the revolver's. It also shoots to point of aim out of the box. I like that.

Chuck

dogtag69

Bearcat
I'm getting better with mine couldnt hit nothing when I first got it but it was me not the gun I had a old 17 round mag from my sr9 done a little drilling and fiieing and it works with the security 9 after I got it marked it took about 30min.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
dogtag69 said:
I'm getting better with mine couldnt hit nothing when I first got it but it was me not the gun I had a old 17 round mag from my sr9 done a little drilling and fiieing and it works with the security 9 after I got it marked it took about 30min.

This is a carry gun, not a comp or bullseye gun. As such, you should take your practice with your carry ammo. Usually that will be 147gr gold dots or similar, such as the Hornady 135gr +P Critical Duty. The Security 9 is fitted with a 17lb recoil spring, which is not the best choice for the heavy loads and is a compromise to work with low power 115gr target ammo. I recommend getting the 20lb recoil spring and guide rod from Galloway. It's a simple drop in, and you can switch out with the factory part any time you want. The heavier Galloway spring will reduce felt recoil and muzzle flip when firing the more powerful ammo.

https://gallowayprecision.com/ruger/security-9/assembled-stainless-guide-rod-for-ruger-security-9-pistols/