Finally, a compact that "fits"!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mike Bolin

Bearcat
I bought a lightly use Ruger American Compact 9mm two weeks ago. I've been carrying/shooting mostly Glocks and spent a bit of time with the S&W Shield, but just never felt like I was shooting to my capability. I've put 250 rounds through the American so far and I couldn't be happier with my purchase.
I am a fairly big man, but have small hands and the grip on the Glock 19 is a little big for me. I shoot it fairly well, but have to use a two hand hold. The grip on the Shield and the Glock 43 just didn't feel good to me and I tended to pull my shots left (I'm a southpaw). With the small grip panel on the American, the gun fits me almost perfectly and I shoot it well. One handed shots with either hand are as accurate as I am with the Shield or the 43 using a two hand hold.
I thought after the first couple of shooting sessions that it was just "new gun" syndrome, but my accuracy is improving with each range session. Only problem is that it will probably cost me more money...think I need a full size American in .45!!

s4s4u

Hunter
I agree. When I first wrapped my hand around my RAC it felt like no other pistol ever. It is my glass slipper of handguns. I ran 250 rounds through it on the first day and obliterated bullseyes with boring regularity. I highly recommend it.

louchia

Single-Sixer
Have you tried any Sig? P938 is easy to handle for someone with smaller hands. So is the new release P365. The 365 has a 10 rnd mag. Both are good shooters and very accurate. May be a little more than you want to spend, but worth a look and maybe rent and test.