LC9S Stupidity in Cleaning.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jjmcd

Bearcat
A friend of mine has his LC 9 S as his BUG. (This is not a Cali Gun, it has no LCI)
So, he pulled off the slide, removed barrel and springs and proceeded to clean it thoroughly. Lot of junk out of it.
Then he proceeded to lube it. Put the grease (What can I say, he is a SIG nut) on the slide and rails and proceeded to rack the slide a few times to make sure it got thoroughly coated on the frame rails and slide. And come we now to the issue at hand.

The slide won't come off. It stops about 1/8 inch from full forward battery and hits some Spring and then refuses to come off the weapon. Something is STUCK.

Any ideas of what it is, how I can detent it so it will allow the slide to come off of the frame? I am befuddled and a bit unhappy.

Any Ideas?

HELP.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Check the instructions for the LC9s. It says to dry fire prior to removing the take down pin.

I don't have have an LC9s, but my SR9c requires the ejector lever to be pushed down prior to removing the slide, or it will hang up. I found out that dry firing brings this lever down. Perhaps the LC9s does the same thing, but has no means to manually push the lever down, hence the need to dry fire.

I'm not a fan of dry fire as a requirement to field strip, but it is what it is.

Be sure and follow all safety procedures prior to dry firing. Also this model has a magazine disconnect, so to avoid damage the manual has you use the orange inert magazine to prevent damage to the striker.

Just look up the manual online and follow the procedure, it will likely take care of the issue.http://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/LC9s-Hf8E3P74Sa.pdf

hittman

Staff member
Referring to the manual is always best.

Otherwise, a guess is the guide rod and spring may be jumbled up. Is there a front and rear to the spring? I don't have the "s" model ..... just the plain Jane LC9.

If a person can't live without grease a little easier way to apply is with a q tip.

jjmcd

Bearcat
Folks. I guess I am not too clear.
The Barrel and Recoil spring were removed from the slide. The slide was then remounted on the frame and worked to the rear. The slide now Hangs Up when trying to remove it from the Frame. Thus I cannot remove it from the frame. Regardless of depression of the trigger, it won't come forward to slide off of the frame.

hittman

Staff member
Silly question, but .......

You've tried to remove the slide both with and without the magazine inserted?

And holding the gun up-side-down?

I'd take mine apart and try what you did but seems already those results ain't good. :lol:

jjmcd

Bearcat
Upside down. Magazine in and out. Magazine in, trigger pulled, and then removed.

hittman

Staff member
A call tomorrow to the mother ship in Prescott seems in order. I think that's where they assemble those.

Or! Have your wife try it and if it comes right off you'll never hear the end of it but you'll never do it again either!

jjmcd

Bearcat
HORRAY. I got it.
TO remove the Darn Slide. first insert Magazine. Second force Slide forward to full battery position. Third Pull Trigger while Magazine is in the weapon. 4th continue to put pressure on rear of slide. 5th, Remove Magazine. 6th force slide forward.

Phew. What a PITA.