Picked up an American Compact 9mm...holster suggestions?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mike Bolin

Bearcat
Got a pretty fair deal on a Ruger American 9mm Compact last week. Fits me well, points good and am pretty impressed with it so far. I am having trouble finding a good, comfortable holster for everyday carry. No one locally has anything in a left handed holster for me to try so I'm looking for suggestions. I had been carrying either a Shield or a Glock 43 as a "pocket gun" but the American is much more accurate for me and just "fits" me better.

Primary use would be everyday carry and while working around home and/ the hunting property. 20% to 30% of my day I am on my tractor, my atv or in my pickup and the rest of the day will be running a chainsaw, shoveling rock/lime, stacking brush or splitting and stacking firewood. An OWB would work fine most of the time, but for carrying in town it seems like an IWB might serve me better.

Would I be better off buying 2 holsters...one for CCW and another for everyday use? I believe I would prefer one holster that would work for all occasions so to speak, but I see Aliengear offers a convertible set-up that looks pretty nice and gets good reviews, but I am looking for real world experiences. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

grobin

Blackhawk
I've had good luck with midway holster finder:
https://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLocation=%2F_%2FN-0%2B20788%3FNr%3DAND(p_visible%3A1%2Ccustomertypeid%3A1%2Cp_gungroupid%3A1-6-1185-702-11-HA0)

I like the tanker holster, but none of them really fit any of the guns I have, BTW midway doesn't carry them. ElPasdo saddlery does cary excellent holsters but a little pricy:
https://epsaddlery.com/

From a previous discussion...

Finally! The DeSantis American Compact Holster. Fits well. Holster hugs tight to waist. Very high riding. Perfect length.

I have yet to find this holster in a retail establishment, and I don't expect I ever will. I had to order this directly from DeSantis.