First-time Ruger pistol owner -

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RedHotFuzz

Bearcat
Hey all, I've owned a couple of 10/22s over the years but no Ruger handguns. I finally decided to get my concealed carry permit and a suitable weapon I could conceal on my small (160 lb) frame. I own one revolver (not small enough for CC) and have never owned a semiauto pistol. I ordered an LCP Custom, picked it up at my FFL today and headed to the indoor range to make sure it worked correctly. This gun is certainly unpleasant and difficult to shoot as expected (I do much better with my S&W 3" 686+) but I'm sure I'll adapt with practice. While all my revolver rounds hit near center target, all my LCP rounds are low and to the right. Perhaps someone can give me some advice to correct this.

What I won't adapt to are the FTE issues. I had jam after jam using a box of Fiocchi ammo I picked up yesterday at Cabelas so I ran to Wally World and picked up a box of Winchester ammo to see if it was an ammo problem. Sure enough, the gun did much better, though I did still have one stovepipe. But here's the thing that freaked me out. After running out a fresh target, I loaded up the gun and pulled the trigger. Hmm, that didn't sound normal. Then I looked at the target. There were two holes! They were touching each other but they were definitely two shots. From one trigger pull. How is that even possible? I asked my father, who's been shooting for many decades, and he has never experienced that with any of his pistols. Should I drop this in the box and send it to Ruger right away?

I'm feeling like I shoulda gone with a small revolver as I had originally intended. :(

Welcome!... don't panic... most of what you described is normal for someone who has no experience with a semi-auto pistol. I know they don't show this on TV or in the movies ... but semis are a different animal. I grew up with revolvers and was what I consider a pretty good shot with one... my first semi-auto was a Ruger P95... and when I first shot it I could not literally hit the side of of a barn while in it.... I thought this has to be the most inaccurate gun ever built.... I was wrong... it was me If you check my post here you will find some links to my 'bragging rights now'...

Anywho: The low and to the right is most likely you jerking the trigger just before it fires.... this is normal, I still do it too often.

Now the fail to eject issue could be the gun (I really don't go with ammo).... but more than likely it is what is called limp wristing. I thought for a good while this was some kind of myth until I actually experience it shooting a friends brand new Glock 19 and he showed me .... then I watched a relative do this shooting one of my P95s.

Few suggestions... rent a full size semi-auto and give it a try.... just for practice.... try your LCP and hold it tight out in front of you... I don't mean squeezing the grip, but keep it from moving backwards towards you when firing.... also, almost all semis need some breaking in before they smooth out.... trigger and recoil wise... but that little pistol is never going to be 'fun' to shoot. That is not what it is designed for.

RedHotFuzz

Bearcat
Thanks, glad to hear my issues may just come down to technique and practice.

Is there an explanation for my two-shots-one-pull experience?

louchia

Single-Sixer
I agree with Blume357. , especially the limp wrist idea.If you are not familiar with that, check You Tube.there are many videos explaining it. As far as you jamb issues, did you clean and lube the gun before you shot?
If you think there is a problem with the gun after another range session, Call Ruger. They have excellent CS. They will fix it.

Mike J

Hunter
I've never shot a LCP. I have shot a Kel Tec P3AT which is very similar. Those little guns are a handful.

s4s4u

Hunter
RedHotFuzz said:
Is there an explanation for my two-shots-one-pull experience?

Is it possible you had a squib and bullet lodged near the end of the barrel that the subsequent bullet pushed out? Was the POI significantly different from the previous rounds?

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Nearly all semi's, especially small ones like the LCP, are ammo sensitive. You'll need to try out various brands and bullet designs besides the el cheapo Winchester and the like. Hornady has a couple good .380 cartridges your gun might like better.

I did not read all the way through.... I see the two holes and that is strange.... but had you changed targets just before that... are you sure that was how it happened? One hole could have been there ... I was doing some shooting last week and my first shot went so far off I did not see where it impacted the target until I went and pulled it down.. this was at twenty feet.

There are a number of issues that could cause that... one for instance is that a round bounced back and punched a hole through backwards....

The only semi-auto handgun I've had trouble ammo with was 22 long rifle... I've shot everything from 380 to 45acp and they have all shot what ever was fed them.

Go back to the range... lube up the little pistol ..... hold her tight and see what happens... if possible have someone else shoot a few rounds.... if it continues after you've put around 200 rounds through it... call Ruger.

Latest posts