Ruger SR40c Light Strike

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Have a problem that has developed with SSR40c after several hundred rounds. It strikes the primer very lightly, even after repeating the strike a second time. The ammo is then switched to Glock, XD and Sig pistols on hand and the same ammo that wouldn't fire in the SR40c, now functions normally in the other guns. I am thinking that it needs to go back to factory, but is there some easy fix?

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Years ago after the pistol was released it was discovered that cleaning the striker channel helped many people solve light strikes. Spent powder likes to find it's way inside there which can cause drag on the striker assembly. It was also agreed by the people who posted here that leaving that channel cleaned and dry (no oil at all inside the striker channel) has solved the problem for many.

It's very easy to do, here's a video of how to do it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dHXND_9-bE there's also several others. This will also allow you to inspect the firing pin to rule out that it's broken or damaged before sending it off.

Unlike most pistols, at least for me I consider this part of the maintenance. It doesn't have to be done after every firing. Once every 6 months, or even once per year in my case has been enough to completely avoid the problem. It's worth a shot before going through the hassle of sending it back. I hope this helps.