Do You Prefer or Reject Decockers?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tawcat

Bearcat
Personally I love a decocker. Prefer it over a manual safe. At least with the decocker there is not an additional step (moving to off safe) when deploying the weapon. Just my two pennies worth.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I don't particularly like the DA first out of the pipe, and SA for the rest thing. Mentally having to shift gears on trigger pull between the first and subsequent pulls is a recipe for poor accuracy. It's far easier to train to thumb the safety off on draw IMO.

hittman

Staff member
De cockers all the way for me! At one time I had several of the P Series guns ..... ALL de cockers. Helps that I'm left handed I suppose.

grobin

Blackhawk
Given that DA/SA & DA only are inherently inferior if not dangerous a decocker is about as useful as tits on a boar!

grobin said:
Given that DA/SA & DA only are inherently inferior if not dangerous a decocker is about as useful as tits on a boar!

Sounds like someone who loves those Glocks....

I really like DA/SA pistols that are decock only and no safety.... I have started carrying a DA only pistol because I think it is safer and of course a Double Action only pistol does not have a decocker because the hammer is never cocked. Here's what a SA/DA pistol can do with no problem:

I have a P97, which in fact was the first semi auto that I ever owned. At first I liked the idea of the decocker as it made me feel safer handling the gun. But I had a tough time firing that first round accurately with the very long trigger pull. For some reason it seems even more of a challenge than the trigger pull on a DAO revolver. Now I am used to carrying a striker fired pistol with no safety or the manual safety in the "Fire" position and trust that I am comfortable enough with the gun that I will not accidentally pull the trigger when I do not intend to. If I were buying a new 45acp auto today it would not be one with a decocker feature.

TBear77

Single-Sixer
I have both, with and without a decocker. A Ruger P89DC (DA/SA) and a Springfield EMP4 Champion (a SA only 1911 clone). It did take time to get proficient with both, but I'm to the point I like both. And, can shoot both equally well...even in DA.

Ted

grobin

Blackhawk
I have several da/sa and use them as sa pistols. A decocker is just something else to fail!
Yes if you carry with a round in the chamber and the pistol cocked you must use a holster that covers the trigger. As for passive safteys I'm not a big fan, but they are less problematic than da with or with out a decocker

Mike J

Hunter
I don't honestly prefer or reject them. My only DA/SA is an old Ruger P94. I spent a fair amount of time with when I first got serious about learning to shoot a handgun. Then I decided striker fired worked better for me. Since then I have used a true Double Action Only hammer fired pistol & a single action striker fired. Recently I went back & messed around with the old P94. All of a sudden it shoots better than it used to. The double action first shot & the transition from double action to single action can be trained for.
My gripe about my P94 is that it is a safety model. If I ever buy another DA/SA it will have the decocker only without a safety. The slide mounted safety on my old P94 is up for fire & feels backwards to me. I don't know if I will ever get another or not but I kind of like the looks of the Sig P 229.

The Sig P 229 is close in size and feel to that Ruger P94 as well as the P95... the difference is where the decock lever is placed. For some reason I've never had a problem with the transition from double to single action on one of these. What I'm now trying to train to is trigger and grip control... specifically with the trigger on multiple shots just letting it out enough to reset and not going all the way out.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
On a DA/SA pistol I say decocker all the way, or cocked and locked like the CZ-75. Other than Sig Sauer, I prefer single action or striker fired autos.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The worst version is a pistols with a safety/decocker in a lever that allows "cocked-and-locked" carry with the lever pushed up as a safety, pushed down about half way to fire and further down to decock. The original FNP9 and the current Springfield XD-E have this arrangement and there may be others.

If you want to carry cocked and locked you cannot just sweep the safety off firmly as you would with a 1911 or CZ75 because it's too easy to override the fire position and decock the hammer. To me, this defeats the purpose of cocked and locked as you can't be expected to use finesse when pushing off a safety.

Latest posts