Do You Prefer or Reject Decockers?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Coyote Hunter

Single-Sixer
22/45 Fan said:
blume357 said:
I have to disagree, but to each their own, I really like the decock function. When I first started using one I would still hold the hammer and drop it down while using the decock lever instead of the trigger... after a few years I finally just started using the lever and letting the hammer fall on its own.
The only guns I recall reading that this shouldn't be done with were the Walther PP/PPK/etc. series. Apparently the decocker's firing pin block could break after many, many hammer strikes and allow the gun to fire when being decocked. Most other designs better protect the firing pin during the decock operation.

That said, I also eased the hammer down while operating the decocker on the Ruger P-series, Sigs, etc. I have owned and/or handled.

I never, ever trust a decocker to drop safely. Nor do I particularly care for dropping a hammer manually. (Ask Big Brother about a .45 hole in the floorboards of his car...)

My Browning BDM decocks, as does my Walther PPK/s. I let the hammers drop on my thumb, just like I do my non-decockers.

s4s4u

Hunter
blume357 said:
using just the decockuer...have dropped the hammer on various decockers thousands of times.... still here.. no unwanted holes anywhere....

Me2 ;-)

montegomx70

Single-Sixer
tawcat said:
Personally I love a decocker. Prefer it over a manual safe. At least with the decocker there is not an additional step (moving to off safe) when deploying the weapon. Just my two pennies worth.

yup me too i just got a cz-75bd for that reason.