Pin Lube?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Conservative

Blackhawk
I just watched a guy (youtube) disassemble a Ruger LC9S.

After flipping up the little pin lock door, he turn it over and out the pin slipped (ploop) without having to be pushed out. I was amazed as I have to use a tool to push it out.

So, I wondered what sort of grease, lube, oil, telflon, mobil 1 or what the heck he lubed the pin with in order not having to use a tool to get the pin out of it's little hidey hole.

Can anyone here perform this 'almost' magic act?

If so, would you please let me in on the secret?

BTW, I took out the LC9S to (maybe) make a discovery.

While it'll shoot the 147 Speer Lawman practice ammo with the magazine it came with, it really prefers 115 grain fmj's for practice. This also held true for the 7 round mag I bought from Midway.

I don't know if what I'm about to post has any bearing or not, but it seemed to operate better shooting fast, vs. slow, deliberate aimed shooting.

Anyone know if this faster paced shooting is simply coincidental in efficiency i.e., shooting faster promotes fewer failures to to eject or feed?

Shooting roughly 150/200 rounds we had a few failures. FTF twice/three times and not going into slide lock after the last round was shot. However, the failure rate with every outing is to some extent lessening...

Is it because it's getting better with greater shooting thus breaking in?

Shrug! I don't know.

Feedback please, if you'll be so kind.

Thank you!!

Clovishound

Blackhawk
A lot of production semi autos take a couple hundred rounds for everything to smooth up. Some are fine right out of the box, and some take a several range trips to get past the occasional feed issue. I assume you have done a thorough clean and lube?

Can't help you with the take down pin. I have an SR9c. I can tell you that up to about a thousand rounds or so it need a tool (I made a pretty little push out tool on the wood lathe using some walnut for a handle and brass for the tool end). After a while I could push the take down pin out with my thumbnail. Different system, however. Just commenting on the fact that some of these things loosen up with use.

Conservative

Blackhawk
Clovishound,

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm going to experiment with some different lubes to get the pin to simply drop free rather than having to push it out. While it's not a 'giant hassle' to push it out, it would be really neat if would simply fall out once I turn the pistol over.

ilikerams

Single-Sixer
I've had my LC9S pro for two years now and that pin has dropped out like you described since day one, no lube needed. Guns must be like women, all the same but all different. I have over 1000 rds. thru it, no factory rds., only reloads and haven't had a failure or a stovepipe yet.

Mike J

Hunter
Not an LC9S but I have a small pocket sized 9mm pistol. It is a Kahr CM9. In the first couple of hundred rounds I had twice the slide didn't lock back. It was due to my grip. My thumb was pushing down on the slide stop.
As far as the failure to feed unless you are limp wristing (the pistol must be held firmly enough for the recoil impulse to cycle the slide) I would probably contact Ruger customer service. They will send you a shipping label & instructions. While they do sometimes have issues their customer service is usually good.

To be honest whenever possible I carry something larger. A mid sized (compact) or full sized gun is generally a lot easier to shoot well than a pocket pistol. Everything is a trade off.

Conservative

Blackhawk
Mike J,

I once had to return my LC9S to the factory - Ruger Customer Service didn't offer a shipping label with instructions while Ruger C.S. person frankly acted like they were bored. Maybe I just came across the one in a million who isn't helpful... At no time was I rude or cold or unkind. Acting pleasant with any company's customer service isn't smart, so I am always on my best behavior.

I continue to read of what great C.S. Ruger offers. Maybe for some, but darn sure not for all.

I won't bother going through the hassle again.

What I will do is continue to shoot it and hope as parts wear in, my problems will disappear.

If this doesn't happen, I'll retire it and buy a Glock. Of which, I have 2 without a hiccup out of either, ever.

Mike J

Hunter
If it didn't start acting right I would call, explain my issue & ask for a shipping label. No need to be impolite. It is not impolite to say I purchased a product from your employer, it doesn't work right, they need to take care of me. I might even say I wanted to give them the opportunity to make it right.
My one experience with Ruger service did not involve a mechanical malfunction. My SR 1911 had rust spots under the grips (if stainless steel has been in contact with ferrous metal some of the ferrous metal can imbed in the stainless & rust). They took care of my issue promptly.
It would really annoy me to keep spending money on ammunition trying to get a gun to wear in & work right.

Glocks are good guns. Nothing wrong with them. I don't own one but I have shot them & they work well.

Rugeraz

Bearcat
Old post but....my wife's LC9 requires a tool to poke the take down pin out. My brand new EC9s take down pin falls out when I turn it over. Don't know what the diff is - the pins or the pistols.

The difference is probably less than a thousands of an inch either in the hole or the pin....
In manufacturing this happens over time when making thousands of the same part.
Personally I'd rather have it tight so that you need a tool to push it out...