LC9s Pro Fail to Feed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

skifast

Bearcat
I bought a like new LC9s Pro. Took it to the range today.

The 7 round magazine worked fine. With the 9 round extended magazine, about one round per mag would fail to feed. The slide stayed to the rear. It was not locked to the rear.

After a few mags, I started to tap the mag on the table after loading it. This seemed to resolve the problem.

I plan on taking the mag apart and cleaning it.

Anyone else experience this problem or have any thoughts about it?

5of7

Hunter
Whenever I load a magazine I thump it on a hard surface to be sure that the cartridges and properly aligned to the rear of the magazine.

I do not have scientific proof that it promotes better feeding, but I don't have many feeding problems either. 8)

s4s4u

Hunter
Whenever I load a magazine I thump it on a hard surface to be sure that the cartridges and properly aligned to the rear of the magazine.

Was taught to do that way back in basic training and have ever since.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
s4s4u said:

Was taught to do that way back in basic training and have ever since.

Sometimes it was hard to get some private to hold still tho. :wink:

CoyoteHunter_

Bearcat
skifast said:
I bought a like new LC9s Pro. Took it to the range today.

The 7 round magazine worked fine. With the 9 round extended magazine, about one round per mag would fail to feed. The slide stayed to the rear. It was not locked to the rear.

After a few mags, I started to tap the mag on the table after loading it. This seemed to resolve the problem.

I plan on taking the mag apart and cleaning it.

Anyone else experiences this problem or have any thoughts about it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Different shaped bullets will cause this problem. Blazer Brass 115 gr 9 mm FMJ type bullets feed great in the Ruger LC9S Pro Semi-automatic 9 mm. Flexlock Hornady Critical Duty 9 mm Luger +P 135 gr. bullets will fail to feed in this little Ruger 9 mm LC9S Pro pistol. However, these same Hornady 9mm FlexLock Critical Duty 9 mm bullets will feed all day long in my Walthers PPQ M2 4" 9 mm as the feed ramps are made differently. The feed ramp on the Ruger is steeper than the one on the Walthers. So you will have this FTF problem with this little Ruger unless you feed it the right shaped bullets.

I polished the feed ramps on both guns using my Dremel tool and a buffing compound and cotton buffing wheels. But these Hornady Bullets when stacked on top of each other in the 7 round Ruger Magazines will tend to have the head of the bullet not feed properly. The top bullet head dips and hit the bottom of the feed ramp on the Ruger and fails to feed properly. IE The bullet jams and doesn't ride up the feed ramp into the chamber of the gun properly.

I carry the Ruger LC9S Pro with me every day I'm out and about. It's my go-to carry gun for the most part as it's lighter and easier to conceal. But I have to use the right ammo to make sure that it will shoot and keep on shooting when I need it. Even though the Hornady Critical Duty 9 mm FlexLock bullets have more stopping power than the Blazer Brass 9 mm 115 gr FMJ the former is more reliable.

Make sure that the type of ammo you plan to use will feed properly all the time before you use this little pistol for a carry gun. I learned the hard way and I'm glad that I figure out what the problem was and fixed it for now.

I'm still planning to test some other type of 9 mm defensive ammo in this gun to see if I can find one that will feed and that has more stopping power than these Blaser Brass 115 gr FMJ bullets. I practice shooting and reloading with the Blazer Brass 9 mm 115 gr. ammo all the time.

Look at the bottom of the feed ramp on your Ruger and see what it looks like. Slowly feed some of your ammo into the gun and watch to see if the nose of your bullets dips down before hitting the feed ramp. That's what the Hornady bullets do.

Note: look at the bullets in your magazine to see how the stack together. If you only have one bullet in the mag it won't be any problem. It's when you have 7 bullets in the magazine that the top bullet tend to nose down into the bottom of the feed ramp.

My advise it to change ammo and or gun.

I checked three different types of Ruger Magazines for the LC9S Pro. I have four magazines. One type is made in Italy and the other is made in the USA. Both are made by Ruger. The third magazine is the Pro Mag made it USA which carries more bullets than the two other 7 round Ruger Mags.

louchia

Single-Sixer
5of7 said:

I do not have scientific proof that it promotes better feeding, but I don't have many feeding problems either. 8)

Yep! That's what I do every time.

Iggy

Bearcat
Sad to say, the Italian mags seem to be more reliable than the American made ones.