I May Have To Retire My LC9S - It's Not Dependable

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Conservative

Blackhawk
Took it to the range yesterday.

Oh, I bought a 7 round magazine as an additional magazine to the one that came with the pistol.

After the first 50 or so rounds, the gun started to fail to go into battery or fail to eject.

I've never had so many failures and yes, I know how to shoot and what limp wristing is all about. That wasn't the problem. I have other pistols that have never failed me.

I will go through one maybe two more range efforts and if it continues to fail, (it's broken in with approximately 250/300 rounds shot) I'm gonna retire it. It could serve as a paper weight as I wouldn't give this (no, I'd NEVER sell this to anyone) who would use it to defend themselves with.

My ammo ranged from Blazer 115 grain, FMJ to Fiochhi 115 grain (sp?) to Lawman 147 FMJ and HST 147 grain JHP's.

My Glock 19's will fire all of the above without a hiccup.

My estimation of this pistol is: Don't carry it for self defense as it's unreliable.

I bought it because I thought: Light, dependable, certain that all the reviews could be depended on. I wanted a sub-compact for house and yard carry.

What my experience is: It often fails to go into battery or fails to eject and on and on and on.

You get what you pay for...

As stated earlier, if it continues to fail, (it's already been sent back to Ruger for other problems) I'll retire it, and buy a Glock 43.

Glocks are dependable.

I have 2 that have never failed to perform, ever.

Ruger's quality is dismal...

USMCXD

Single-Sixer
If it was lubricated well and you are confident on your not "limp wristing," I would suggest that you contact Ruger. Sounds odd.

Ruger has proven to be one of the best gun manufacturers to date. You will receive top of the line service.

Keep us posted!

Conservative

Blackhawk
USMCXD,

Thanks for your interest.

Yes, I'll (for the second time) communicate with Ruger, but come on, this is ridiculous.

I'm not going to spend a lot more time with this problem.

I haven't mentioned some of the other things that have gone wrong with this pos. Like the front sight falling into some weird position after the first 50 rounds and having to be fixed.

Overall, it's been a giant pain.

One more effort with Ruger and I'm done.

If it comes around and performs...great, if not, paper weight it'll be and I'll get a Glock 43, which I should've bought in the first place....

I have a Ruger SP 101 that performs, but I bought it some 30 years ago when quality was still high. Now, sorry to say, it's terrible.

Hell, Hi-Point and Keltec are building better firearms than Ruger.

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
Conservative,
Did you ever consider communicating with Ruger Customer Support?
From your rant, didn't think so!
next time you want to try to pull the wool over our eyes,
get your stuff together. Many of us have and trust LC9s pistols and your
rant is dismal.
Do not bother to reply to my post because I do not want to get in a pissing contest
with you.
Blackie

Rugeraz

Bearcat
Conservative said:
USMCXD,

Thanks for your interest.

Yes, I'll (for the second time) communicate with Ruger, but come on, this is ridiculous.

I'm not going to spend a lot more time with this problem.

I haven't mentioned some of the other things that have gone wrong with this pos. Like the front sight falling into some weird position after the first 50 rounds and having to be fixed.

Overall, it's been a giant pain.

One more effort with Ruger and I'm done.

If it comes around and performs...great, if not, paper weight it'll be and I'll get a Glock 43, which I should've bought in the first place....

I have a Ruger SP 101 that performs, but I bought it some 30 years ago when quality was still high. Now, sorry to say, it's terrible.

Hell, Hi-Point and Keltec are building better firearms than Ruger.

I had a terrible experience with a Keltec PF9. Sent it back to Keltec twice and then got rid of it.

woodsy

Blackhawk
quote]

Conservative,
Did you ever consider communicating with Ruger Customer Support?
From your rant, didn't think so!
next time you want to try to pull the wool over our eyes,
get your stuff together. Many of us have and trust LC9s pistols and your
rant is dismal.
Do not bother to reply to my post because I do not want to get in a pissing contest
with you.
Blackie[/quote]

I agree 1000%. My LC9sPro is completely reliable, with all factory ammo, and all but the lightest handloads.

hittman

Staff member
My LC9 (not "s") was a dismal failure until I sent it back to Ruger.

I had light primer strikes and FTE problems; every mag, every time, every type of ammo regardless of who was shooting it.

When it returned I "torture tested" it because frankly, I had no faith it'd ever be right. That first weekend I had it back I put 500 rounds through it without one single problem.

First gun I'd ever sent back. Glad I did.

I have an KelTec P-11, that had the same symptoms. Greased the rails, presto, chango, it works like a charm! Same thing happened with my brand new S&W 4506. Greased the rails with the same results. Good luck!
gramps

Virginia Boy

Bearcat
I have a LC9s, a LCP, a SR9, & a SR9c, & have shot many rounds through
them all, never a failure of any kind.
So, they must make a few good ones.

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
Any of you out there in Ruger land with an LC9S acting wonkie may I suggest installing Gallaway Precision, SKU GP-115-SS, captured Sure Feed Guide Rod assembly for LC9S. It includes a new firing pin spring as well. There is a video on their website on how to install this as well. Gunny Gene turned me on to this kit and it works well if you don't want to send you guns back to the mother ship. $38.00 bucks including shipping.

Conservative

Blackhawk
Lemons pop up in anything manufactured.

Given the positive feedback from others who shoot the LC9S who experience no problems, I must've have gotten a lemon.

I sent it back to Ruger once already.

Additional problems I've had with Ruger made products: I bought 3 Ruger brand magazines (2 were the extended) and 1-- 7 round - as the gun came with only one 1 - 7 round magazine and I wanted more than one (each and every one I bought after I bought the gun have been unreliable with feeding and ejecting problems) The one magazine that came with the gun has always performed well.

So, not only am I having problems with the gun, their magazines are problematic too.

Note to diehard Ruger fans: If my experience and posting about it upsets you, I don't what to say except the above is my experience with this gun, the Ruger LC9S and 3 different magazines.

JPGLSG,

Thanks for your post.

I talk to Ruger one more time regarding the problems I'm having, if I'm not satisfied, I may try your Gallaway Precision ideaa.

Thanks again.

woodsy

Blackhawk
It's not your experiences with problems, but your reactions to them, which bother us. You write as if someone bought a Lincoln car and had two or three trips back to the dealer, and that person subsequently concludes that everything Lincoln currently makes is a piece of junk.

Conservative

Blackhawk
woodsy,

I own a number of guns and this LC9S has been THE absolute worst plus some the Ruger magazines.

If my description of my experience upsets you (or 'us' as you put it) all I can tell you is I speak plainly.

If that bothers you feel free to ignore my posts - my posts are not required reading.

In addition, I'll speak however I care to within the posting guidelines.

USMCXD

Single-Sixer
JPGLSG said:
Any of you out there in Ruger land with an LC9S acting wonkie may I suggest installing Gallaway Precision, SKU GP-115-SS, captured Sure Feed Guide Rod assembly for LC9S. It includes a new firing pin spring as well. There is a video on their website on how to install this as well. Gunny Gene turned me on to this kit and it works well if you don't want to send you guns back to the mother ship. $38.00 bucks including shipping.
Maybe you can help BEARCAT: (reference link below) 8)

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=265652

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Conservative,
When you talk to Ruger and tell them of all the problems that you have had with the Pistol, I would also comment on how much you have lost in faith with them and the pistol. Ask them to just total replace it. I would think that the LGS that you bought it at would redo the paperwork for free since they sold it. That is if Ruger will replace it. I would also even comment on the magazines that you bought issue.
Good Luck, the Glock 43 is a fine pistol, little bit bigger. I will be keeping my LC9S. I have had three of them. Keep thinking I need something better and selling them just to go back and repurchase them realizing I was mistaken. I will be keeping the one I have now and all of mine were reliable. Never a hiccup.

Armybrat

Buckeye
The OP's conclusion about the gun he bought could be correct as described, and definitely so if Ruger isn't able to fix it.
His sweeping conclusion about Ruger in general is not correct in my personal experience.

Yes, we all know a number of inferior quality guns are being shipped & sent back, which indicates that Quality Control has slipped quite a bit in recent years. If Ruger ran their QC department as well as their Customer Service, then the CS could probably be downsized.

Of course when any manufacturer expands as much as Ruger has in so few years, it is no surprise to see a drop off in some part of their process. Fortunately (unlike some other major manufacturers) Ruger's CS has not deteriorated.

One would think management should take notice of the real problems in their inspection process so as to maintain the company's good reputation.

I would like to add that every other major manufacturer has had many of the same complaints about their firearms products. I read the Glock, Sig, H&K, Remington, Colt, & S&W forums too - just to name a few.

Conservative

Blackhawk
jstanfield103,

Thank you for your understanding response.

Armybrat,

Thank you too, and yes, my comment was sweeping, but I fear not that far off the mark. Ruger QC is not what it once was.

Being the persistent cuss that I am, I will continue to shoot it with the hopes as more rounds are expended it'll get better, smooth out if you will, failure to feed or eject becoming a thing of the past, if not it'll either be a paper weight or I'll cut it up into little bitty throw away pieces. I wouldn't give this pistol to anyone as they may actually attempt to depend on it...

As mentioned earlier, the mag it came with performs admirably, the extra 3 I bought to supplement it have all failed to either feed or eject properly. Everyone were Ruger products, not something that'll fit a Ruger, but genuine Ruger products sold by... (in this case Midway). So, they weren't chinese knock offs or something sold by a disreputable supplier.

I have some experience with Sig and once had a failure. So gun failures and me aren't unknown, but not at the level I'm currently experiencing with the LC9S. However Glock, Colt, Savage, plus many others I've had, were outstanding in their dependability.

I've only been on this forum for a short time and see others complaining about this and that regarding Ruger quality problems.

I'm not the only one experiencing problems with poor Ruger quality, who previously I thought of as a high to premium quality and perhaps gave them to much credit...? Thus my constant problems with their products have led me to a level of frustration as to make sweeping comments about them.

Here's a kicker: I usually buy high quality, but broke down and bought a Hi-Point 9mm carbine as a truck gun. I've run about a 1000 rounds through it without a single hiccup. Two other people shot it also with ever encountering a problem.

Odd, we disparage some mfg's, but if their products don't fail...

Then we buy one we expect to perform and it consistently doesn't - am I going to complain...?

Yes, yes I am and the hardcore Ruger fans go amuck.

For some Ruger is a deity - for me it's just a tool and my particular tool purchase has led to maximum frustration and I will say so even if it chaps the buttocks of the diehards...

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
Conservative said:
jstanfield103,

Thank you for your understanding response.

Armybrat,

Thank you too, and yes, my comment was sweeping, but I fear not that far off the mark. Ruger QC is not what it once was.

Being the persistent cuss that I am, I will continue to shoot it with the hopes as more rounds are expended it'll get better, smooth out if you will, failure to feed or eject becoming a thing of the past, if not it'll either be a paper weight or I'll cut it up into little bitty throw away pieces. I wouldn't give this pistol to anyone as they may actually attempt to depend on it...

As mentioned earlier, the mag it came with performs admirably, the extra 3 I bought to supplement it have all failed to either feed or eject properly. Everyone were Ruger products, not something that'll fit a Ruger, but genuine Ruger products sold by... (in this case Midway). So, they weren't chinese knock offs or something sold by a disreputable supplier.

I have some experience with Sig and once had a failure. So gun failures and me aren't unknown, but not at the level I'm currently experiencing with the LC9S. However Glock, Colt, Savage, plus many others I've had, were outstanding in their dependability.

I've only been on this forum for a short time and see others complaining about this and that regarding Ruger quality problems.

I'm not the only one experiencing problems with poor Ruger quality, who previously I thought of as a high to premium quality and perhaps gave them to much credit...? Thus my constant problems with their products have led me to a level of frustration as to make sweeping comments about them.

Here's a kicker: I usually buy high quality, but broke down and bought a Hi-Point 9mm carbine as a truck gun. I've run about a 1000 rounds through it without a single hiccup. Two other people shot it also with ever encountering a problem.

Odd, we disparage some mfg's, but if their products don't fail...

Then we buy one we expect to perform and it consistently doesn't - am I going to complain...?

Yes, yes I am and the hardcore Ruger fans go amuck.

For some Ruger is a deity - for me it's just a tool and my particular tool purchase has led to maximum frustration and I will say so even if it chaps the buttocks of the diehards...

Conservative,
You do not do Ruger justice. I have an LC9s, LC9, LCRx and, LCR and my wife has an LC380, and
an LCP. All operate perfectly. Get in touch with Ruger, tell them your problem and
they will send you a return label. I had a problem with my Ruger LCRx and they handled
it within three weeks.
Oh, I forgot, I also have a vintage 10-22 and it runs like a singer sewing machine.
Blackie

Armybrat

Buckeye
I am a Ruger fan - also Colt, S&W, Kahr, North American, & even Remington (just the R1 & RM380). Recently CZ has caught my eye.

But nothing will ever surpass this, IMO:
8)
3932593459ddb116b9f038a371a517085daabf2.JPG

Latest posts