Ruger LC9S ---OR--- EC9S???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

USMCXD

Single-Sixer
I just came to learn that Ruger came out with the EC9S pistol.

What's your thoughts folks....???
Is it really that much of a savings when considering only one (1) magazine and the different sights?

DO THEY BOTH FIRE THE SAME?

Just the different sights and only one magazine the only difference?

Thanks for your time folks!!!

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The current Ruger web site only shows a bunch of cosmetically different distributor specials for the LC9s so I take it that it's being dropped and the lower cost EC9 has replaced it in Ruger's current line up. Except for the simpler slide with the integral sights they are the same gun.

Jdog

Bearcat
Recently shot the LC9s and bought the EC9s. To my amateur self, there is no difference in how they shoot. I am thrilled with the EC9s which I was able to get for $209.00 shipped to my LGS.

USMCXD

Single-Sixer
22/45 Fan said:
The current Ruger web site only shows a bunch of cosmetically different distributor specials for the LC9s so I take it that it's being dropped and the lower cost EC9 has replaced it in Ruger's current line up. Except for the simpler slide with the integral sights they are the same gun.
The LC9S has been dropped by Ruger?

Rugeraz

Bearcat
USMCXD said:
22/45 Fan said:
The LC9S has been dropped by Ruger?

Apparently so, the Ruger 2018 catalog only shows the EC9S, no sign of the LC9s or LC9s Pro.

Rugeraz

Bearcat
Jdog said:
Recently shot the LC9s and bought the EC9s. To my amateur self, there is no difference in how they shoot. I am thrilled with the EC9s which I was able to get for $209.00 shipped to my LGS.

Congrats! That's a great price. Where did you buy it?

Jdog

Bearcat
I got it from Whittaker Guns. Very good to deal with. I'll be in the market for another handgun in the next few months and will certainly try to go with them again.

I believe they sold out of the EC9s quickly but they seem to be good about getting new popular models in ASAP.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
209 is a good price for a USED ec9s! They are the same gun, OP, with a different slide. They will shoot the same due to a common barrel/fire control system.
Under 250 for this NIB gun I'd say take it home now. Prices only go up from here.

Sights? Really? this is a belly gun. A save-your-life gun. My instruction taught me how to shoot at 3-5 yards. You don't use the sights for much!

Ruger will embrace the one-pc casting for poly pistol slides on several if not all models. Its simply a manufacturing decision for non-hunting, non-target pistols.

hittman

Staff member
I have the LC9 (no "s") and kinda wanted the "s" model. Now that the EC9s is out and I can buy one locally for $235.00 ..... I've got one on the way. It's a carry gun ....don't care that it's finish is flat (or matte).

Jdog

Bearcat
I actually think it's a decent shooter out to 10 ish yards too, with some practice. Put about 200 cheap ammo (S&B, I really like it for shooting at the home range) through it and two mags of carry ammo and zero hiccups.

Not a plinker but I had no issue putting almost 220 rounds through it over two days.

Plan on making this my CCW once I get my permit. Hope to have 5-700 through it by then, but so far it is one of the best value purchases I've made in quite a while.

Rugeraz

Bearcat
hittman said:
I have the LC9 (no "s") and kinda wanted the "s" model. Now that the EC9s is out and I can buy one locally for $235.00 ..... I've got one on the way. It's a carry gun ....don't care that it's finish is flat (or matte).
Any opinion on how the finish on the EC9S might compare to the LC9s as far as durability?

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Black oxide is what we use on turbine engine gearing. Should be fine for holster wear. Comparison-wise, the LC9 had some flaking problems from poorly-contracted finishes. Black Oxide is not plating, it penetrates the steel.

hittman

Staff member
I haven't seen the EC9s finish in person yet but it'll be hidden in a holster so, don't really care.

However, the LCR in 38 Special that I've carried almost daily for 3 years in a nice Galco ankle holster still looks like new.

Rugeraz

Bearcat
mohavesam said:
Black oxide is what we use on turbine engine gearing. Should be fine for holster wear. Comparison-wise, the LC9 had some flaking problems from poorly-contracted finishes. Black Oxide is not plating, it penetrates the steel.

Good to know. Thanks.

Rugeraz

Bearcat
hittman said:
I haven't seen the EC9s finish in person yet but it'll be hidden in a holster so, don't really care.

However, the LCR in 38 Special that I've carried almost daily for 3 years in a nice Galco ankle holster still looks like new.

Thanks. Let us know how you like it when you get it.

19drivermaker46

Bearcat
I've had the LC9s pro for about 3 years and it's my primary carry gun. Also have the LCR .357, LCR .38, LCR .22 LR, LCP II, and about a dozen guns from other manufacturers with varying calibers. (Springfield, Glock, S&W, Kimber, Kel-Tec.)

I got the EC9s shipped to me last Saturday and shot it at the range on Tuesday for the first time along with the LC9s pro.

For those who want to know if it shoots the same, the answer is yes. Same size and dimensions, same magazines, with the exception that the EC9s has a manual safety and fixed sights.

I don't know if a better trigger can be found on any gun that matches these two. I certainly don't own one.

Over the years I have not had one jam or misfire with hundreds and hundreds of rounds through the LC9s pro.
On Tuesday I had about 4 with the EC9s over 50 rounds due to failure to eject the empty. It did tick me off.

The Instruction manual said the gun was good to shoot straight out of the box with no cleaning necessary so that's what I did. I WILL be cleaning it before the next session. Maybe it needs it along with getting broken in but the LC9s pro never did. We'll see what happens.

RUT

Single-Sixer
I went into my LGS the other day fully intending to buy the EC9S, but in comparing it to the LC9S I found that I was able to see the sights better on it than the EC. The LC has "three dot" sights whereas the EC's are totally black. With my aging eyes it seemed like the better choice. As luck would have it I was able to buy it for only a few dollars more than the EC due to a deal the gun shop had gotten on it. A win win for me!