Thinking About a Ruger 3314 SR-9C Pistol 9mm 3.5in

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have never owned or fired a Ruger 9mm semi-auto, but lately of have been thinking about the SR-9C Pistol 9mm 3.5inch to use as a CCW. I like the idea of the ambi-safety and I just like the way it looks. I haven't seen any at my LGSs in a few years or heard much about them lately. I realize there maybe several old threads about this gun, but I would like to hear from folks who use it today with comments about accuracy, reliability, ease of disassembly, problems, etc.

Thank you,

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
My blued SR9c was my first 9mm handgun. Had almost 3000 flawless rounds through it before I sold it. Excellent gun, great trigger out of the box and reliable as anyone could ask for.

A few years later I really missed that SR9c and decided to pick up another, this time the stainless model. It too has run great without a single hitch and is a tad over 1000 rounds. They are easy to take down and reassemble, no tools required. They do have an overabundance of safety features but the LCI and mag safety disconnect don't bother me one bit.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I have one in stainless. I'll second the comment that it runs flawlessly. It's easy to shoot and while the trigger certainly isn't like a tuned 1911 but it's as good or better than the Glocks I've shot. The magazine disconnect is a love-it-or-hate-it item but it's easy to remove is you don't like it. The LCI is disliked by some but I think it's nice to have confirmation that you chambered a round properly. I recommend the SR-9C highly.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
I've had my blued sr9c for about 7-8 years now. I shot the heck out if it with not one failure, using a variety of factory ammo, bullet weights, including cci aluminum cases. I have largish hands, and find it very pleasant to shoot accurately. I tried about five other pistols in the same class, and decided on the Ruger. Ive had it longer than any other pistol I've owned, and dont plan to sell it any time soon. The SR series pistols are very underrated. They disassemble fairly easily, without tools of course, and now after market parts are more available. I cant imagine you being disappointed with the sr9c unless you get a lemon.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
Forgot to mention in m OP that I have run all types of range ammo through my SR pistols from cheap Russian made steel cased, American made steel cased, aluminum, reloads, brass and nickel plated ammo.

They're pigs and will eat everything I feed them.

Virginia Boy

Bearcat
Just a hint, to hold the spacer in place on the 17 round magazine,
stick a piece of soft Velcro ( with adhesive back) inside on the back.
Also, you can't go wrong with the SR9c.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I've had one for about 6 years. When I started looking for a CC gun, it was hands down the best fit for me within the budget constraints I had. I was prepared to spend a little more than the SR9c was going for. The trigger was the deal maker for me. I really like the ergonomics, the trigger and the ability to choose between 10 and 17 round magazines. The mag disconnect and the LCI are non issues for me either way. I WILL NOT carry a striker fired pistol without a manual safety.

I have about 4,000 to 5,000 rounds through it and it developed an occasional failure to reset. I sent it back to Ruger and they replaced most of the innards, including the barrel. Turn around time was about 2 weeks and it now performs flawlessly. Prior to this it was extremely reliable and would eat any ammo I threw at it. From what I could discern from the forum here and elsewhere the failure to reset was a known issue around the time I bought mine. I assume that Ruger made some changes that dealt with it, as it does not seem a common thing these days.

I have no regrets whatsoever about the purchase, despite having to send it back for repair. I would have to say that if I were be looking today, I would look hard at the S&W Shield in .45. The main reason for that is I am becoming enamored of .45 ACP after purchasing a 1911 last year. For a small, light gun the Shield is amazingly accurate and reduces felt recall for a hefty caliber.

Having said all this, I still believe that 9mm is a good carry caliber, and the SR9c is a good 9mm carry gun.

1av8r-SW

Bearcat
Just ditto Clovis, here. I've carried the SR9c for over 5 years and no plans to change. I did a defensive pistol course last fall with it which only gave me more confidence that the gun just runs. We took some time to practice head shots at 25 yards at one point. I nailed the target shot after shot. Stock sights, stock trigger. It conceals well. I have 3 holsters I use depending on what I'm wearing. A comp-tac paddle for owb, Alien Gear for iwb with loose fitting casual and a leather iwb from the Holster Store if I need deeper concealment. Enjoy.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Only thing that worries me is, Ruger could very well throw it overboard in favor of the RAP compact. Which would be a really bad decision as the SR's easily outsell the RAP around here.

tombstonewolf

Bearcat
I bought a SR-9c when they first came out. Love the gun, shoots great, reliable
conceals quite well, my only negative comment would be the amount of effort to rack
the slide. :)

tombstonewolf said:
I bought a SR-9c when they first came out. Love the gun, shoots great, reliable
conceals quite well, my only negative comment would be the amount of effort to rack
the slide. :)
I ordered the stainless slide version, with 3 mags for $349 from CDNN yesterday. I expected to arrive at my FFL on Tuesday. I am hoping that the newer models have don't have a stiff slide.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
tombstonewolf said:
.....my only negative comment would be the amount of effort to rack the slide. :)
Yes, the recoil spring is quite stiff but that's almost unavoidable with a short barrel gun in a significant caliber. There are racking techniques that make it easier but I wouldn't recommend the gun to a small woman or to anyone with serious hand strength issues but, other than that, it's a great choice.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I think the SR9c is a great gun and a much better value than the Glock 26 or M&P compact. Unfortunately I think it's just a matter of time before it walks the plank.

I picked up my new SR9c at my FFL this morning. It arrived in Rugers new cardboard box, with paper work, cable lock and three 10 round magazines Made in Italy with 3 finger extensions mounted and three in the box. The gun arrived clean, lightly oiled, with a small amount of clear grease in the slide. I found the slide to be stiff and the serrations pretty sharp. The trigger pull averaged 6 lbs. 4 oz after 5 pulls. Overall the gun appeared well made and felt good in my hand.