The future of Ruger pocket Pistols (LCP, LCP Custom, LCP II)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

oldlamehand

Bearcat
Do you think Ruger LCP will remain on the market in parallel with LCP II, or will it be completely replaced by Ruger LCP II?
Now I have LCP Custom, I will carry it and shoot it on the range as long as it works reliably, and if it breaks one day, I would rather replace it with the new LCP Custom than LCP II.
I never held LCP II in my hand, but according to the specifications and photos I like it less than LCP Custom.
LCP II has SAO trigger, is a bit heavier and bigger than LCP Custom...
I know that the size and weight difference is not big, but I appreciate it with a pocket gun for everyday carry.
One of the reasons I picked LCP Custom is that it is probably the smallest and lightest .380 gun on the market in my country, the Czech Republic. LCP II loses this advantage a little. Do you think there is any chance that LCP Custom will reappear on the market? Why did it actually disappear from the market? I think many people would prefer LCP Custom to both LCP and LCP II.

Conservative

Blackhawk
To each his own.

That being said, I don't care for the .380.

9mm or bigger only.

Am I being a snob of sorts?

Maybe, but I don't want to be under gunned if a criminal happens to want to take my life for their profit or my loved ones because he/she feels empowered to be a criminal...I believe in powerful self defense.

I'm not going to trust a low power caliber.

Sure, a .380 'could' get the job done, but something stronger has a better chance at getting the job done...

oldlamehand

Bearcat
When I live in a country that has a murder rate about six times lower than the United States, I do not want to bother with carrying a bigger gun every day. If I would have a chance to draw my gun if somebody attacked me, my chances of survival with a .380 would be better than with bare hands. And that's enough for me. The vast majority of the population in my country does not carry any gun or other weapon although we are a shall-issue country.
I carry larger caliber only occasionally, but if the security situation around my home noticeably worsened, I would start to carry larger caliber on a regular basis.
I consider LCP sized pistols a thing that increases my chance of survival, but unlike the larger caliber it does not bring any discomfort in everyday life.
But of course, if I had to "welcome" an intruder at my home, I would use something bigger than LCP.

s4s4u

Hunter
SR1911SHOOTER said:
s4s4u said:
Unless they add a thumb safety to the lcp2 I will prefer the original.

The LCPII is a single action pistol, similar to a revolver!
Think about it s4s4u!
Blackie

A revolver has a much longer and stiffer DA trigger. Not even comparable. A single action revolver requires cocking the hammer before firing, not likely to occur accidentally in a pocket.

Think about it!

FergusonTO35

Hunter
oldlamehand said:
When I live in a country that has a murder rate about six times lower than the United States, I do not want to bother with carrying a bigger gun every day. If I would have a chance to draw my gun if somebody attacked me, my chances of survival with a .380 would be better than with bare hands. And that's enough for me. The vast majority of the population in my country does not carry any gun or other weapon although we are a shall-issue country.
I carry larger caliber only occasionally, but if the security situation around my home noticeably worsened, I would start to carry larger caliber on a regular basis.
I consider LCP sized pistols a thing that increases my chance of survival, but unlike the larger caliber it does not bring any discomfort in everyday life.
But of course, if I had to "welcome" an intruder at my home, I would use something bigger than LCP.

Well, if I ever move away from the USofA it sounds like the land of CZ and Pilsener Urquel would be a fine place to land.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I would also like to see the LCP ll have a safety. I just bought the BG380 (S&W) because the LCP does not have the safety.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
oldlamehand said:
When I live in a country that has a murder rate about six times lower than the United States, I do not want to bother with carrying a bigger gun every day.
Don't generalize about the United States. Yes, some areas (mostly inner big cities) have very high murder rates due to drug gangs and the highly publicized, but really rare, school shootings get a lot of attention. However, great areas of the US are very safe and carrying an arsenal isn't needed here either.

s4s4u

Hunter
22/45 Fan said:
oldlamehand said:
When I live in a country that has a murder rate about six times lower than the United States, I do not want to bother with carrying a bigger gun every day.
Don't generalize about the United States. Yes, some areas (mostly inner big cities) have very high murder rates due to drug gangs and the highly publicized, but really rare, school shootings get a lot of attention. However, great areas of the US are very safe and carrying an arsenal isn't needed here either.

True. If you remove LA, Chicago, Baltimore, Detroit and DC from the equation the murder rate in the USA would be one of the lowest in the world

mac66

Single-Sixer
oldlamehand said:

No one who has used a gun for self defense said afterward they wished they had a smaller gun with less ammo...ever.

oldlamehand

Bearcat
s4s4u said:
22/45 Fan said:
oldlamehand said:

True. If you remove LA, Chicago, Baltimore, Detroit and DC from the equation the murder rate in the USA would be one of the lowest in the world
I take it statistically. In the Czech Republic we usually have murder rates of 0.8 or 0.9 per 100,000 inhabitants. The United States is around 4.8.
Even the most secure state of the United States, considering the statistics, New Hampshire, had 1.3 murders per 100,000 inhabitants in 2016.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_homicide_rate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

So the murder rate in the United States is noticeably higher than in the Czech Republic, but of course, the United States is still one of the relatively safe parts of the world.

mac66 said:
oldlamehand said:

No one who has used a gun for self defense said afterward they wished they had a smaller gun with less ammo...ever.
I take it you are present at all shootings? Or have debriefed all shooters? I have talked with some who used snub nose .38's, and were quite pleased with the outcome.
gramps

teuthis

Single-Sixer
I will be keeping my LCP original. It is double action only and quite safe to carry. Anyone who has shot revolvers will be familiar with the trigger and action.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
GunSlut said:
It depends on the sales of the LCP-LCP Custom.
Both the LCP and LCPII are still listed on the Ruger web site but the Custom is not. I believe it was a "limited edition" transition model with a better shaped trigger and more usable sights than the LCP but without the trigger safety blade and without the last round slide hold open of the LCPII. It weighs slightly more than the standard LCP and feels a bit more "solid" but is lighter than the LCPII. I bought the last one my LGS had and am very pleased with it.

mac66

Single-Sixer
gramps said:
mac66 said:
oldlamehand said:

I take it you are present at all shootings? Or have debriefed all shooters? I have talked with some who used snub nose .38's, and were quite pleased with the outcome.
gramps

And did any of them say they wished they used something smaller or had less ammo with them? Probably not. I rest my case. ;)

22/45 Fan

Hunter
mac66 said:
And did any of them say they wished they used something smaller or had less ammo with them? Probably not. I rest my case. ;)
No, but something larger and with more ammo might have been left at home because it was uncomfortable to carry or too hard to conceal. They were happy they had something that worked with them at the time.

Your case is like a sieve. Full of holes. Some I debriefed used Walter TPH in .22 LR. They continued to use it, because it was adequate for their purpose. I have an original LCP. It is adequate for my risk assessment.
gramps