The future of Ruger pocket Pistols (LCP, LCP Custom, LCP II)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

grobin

Blackhawk
If you need CC you need to carry all the time every time! There may be one gun that you mostly use but it's unlikely that you will not have a couple primary guns. If you believe the silly myths about stopping power then RIP. 22lr works just fine and 22CB has killed a lot of folks,it's great for termination. Yes there are occasional occasions where CC isn't possible but they can often be avoided.

Donnieweps

Single-Sixer
oldlamehand said:
When I live in a country that has a murder rate about six times lower than the United States, I do not want to bother with carrying a bigger gun every day.

Not trying to pick on a welcome member from Europe but I'll provide some information that is, I think, very useful. If you delete the firearms fatalities from 3 counties in the US, encompassing Chicago, Baltimore and I think St Louis, our rates are right in line with Europe despite their far more restrictive gun laws. Don

Conservative

Blackhawk
An LEO buddy of mine was in a lot of gun fights.

The only caliber he would carry is a .45.

Why?

He said, he shot more than one criminal with a 9mm and they didn't go down without further hits.

Every criminal he shot with a .45 went down now, no waiting.

Hard to argue with success.

I prefer 9mm, due to great improvement made both ballistically and metallurgically, but primarily because of economics. I don't know precisely what my friend was shooting in 9mm, but he's been retired awhile and the 9mm ammo he used may have been inferior to what's on the market today.

It WAAAAAAAAY less expensive to practice shooting 9mm vs the highly costly .45 practice ammo.

I think a high quality Speer, Gold Dot, 124 grain, jacketed hollow point or a 9mm Luger HST 147 grain, Federal Premium Personal Defense will get the job down for self defense if the criminal is hit in a vital location with a 9mm. It's like real estate...location, location, location.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
s4s4u said:
It WAAAAAAAAY less expensive to practice shooting 9mm vs the highly costly .45 practice ammo.

It's waaay less of a difference when you roll your own ;-)
Not really. Price .45 bullets of any type (lead, JHP, FMJ, etc.) compared to their 9 mm counterparts. The .45 are much more expensive for the same number and the shipping will be higher too.

s4s4u

Hunter
22/45 Fan said:
s4s4u said:

It's waaay less of a difference when you roll your own ;-)
Not really. Price .45 bullets of any type (lead, JHP, FMJ, etc.) compared to their 9 mm counterparts. The .45 are much more expensive for the same number and the shipping will be higher too.

I only pay a few cents more for my plinking 45 bullets than 9mm so as I said it is waaay less of a difference than factory. When it comes to defense loads the difference in bullet cost is a bit more but I only shoot a few of them a year so no biggie. Same powder charge and primer cost. Brass is insignificant after a few loadings.

5of7

Hunter
For EDC around my home town of some 900 souls, I have the second version of the LCP (the one with the hammer half cocked). When the LCPII came out I bought one
thinking that the trigger would be better than the one I have. It wasn't, they both break at 5-1/2 pounds. Since the one I have has a SS slide and the the LCPII that I bought is all blue, it is still in the box in the safe.

I am waiting for the next family member that gets a CPL, whereupon it will be gifted to him/her. 8)

grobin

Blackhawk
No one who has used a gun for self defense said afterward they wished they had a smaller gun with less ammo...ever.

I take it you are present at all shootings? Or have debriefed all shooters? I have talked with some who used snub nose .38's, and were quite pleased with the outcome.
gramps

non sequitur even if we posit the snub nose .38 is a punk pistol and caliber so what!?

The point he's trying to make is that less isn't more. An acquaintance who was with LEO for 20 some years had to use his NAA .22-he retired and took a body guard supervision gig with a private firm. He wound up using his.22 backup again! I'm sure from his comments that he would have much preferred not need his backup, but was really glad that he had it!

Skoopski

Single-Sixer
Conservative said:
I think a high quality Speer, Gold Dot, 124 grain, jacketed hollow point or a 9mm Luger HST 147 grain, Federal Premium Personal Defense will get the job down for self defense if the criminal is hit in a vital location with a 9mm. It's like real estate...location, location, location.
Just be sure to ask the bad guy to not move and hold still while you aim...

Said it a hundred times before, I'll say it again... The only gun that matters is one you shoot well. I've got a .380 that I love to shoot and I shoot well, and I've got a .40 I can't shoot for $***, which one do you think I would rather carry? I'm tired of the brand and caliber snobs- ballistic statistics go out the window when you miss. You just shoot whatever your most comfortable with.

grobin

Blackhawk
Great point!!. Ya most of the time the BG will fold or run on seeing a gun or hearing a shot. But there are the exception and if you don't hit it you will not hurt it or discourage it!!

Latest posts