American 9mm Light Primer Strikes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sbougon

Bearcat
About 6 months ago I purchased my American and took it to the range and it ate about 200 rounds flawlessly. Took the gun home, cleaned it, and set it in my nightstand (no children in the house) for home protection. I took it to the range yesterday, and to my surprise it did not fire. I racked another round, same result. Upon examination of the ammo, the primers were lightly kissed, but not hard enough to fire the round. Thank God I didn't need this gun for self defense.

Any similar problems or solutions. This is my first striker-fired pistol. :?: :?: :?: :?:

Sbougon

Bearcat
Blew it out with Rem Action cleaner, and then compressed air. I guess I won't know till I go back to the range. Thank you for the tip. Fingers crossed.

Sbougon

Bearcat
blume357 said:
Did you happen to change ammo? some of that foreign stuff has hard primers....

Yes, three different brands. The unfired rounds performed well in my R51.

Shortytaz

Bearcat
Mine did the same thing today fresh out of the box. I was using Blazer brass. It would happen two or three times out of every magazine. But my LC9S never missed a beat using the same ammo. Not real happy.

Thel

Blackhawk
Shortytaz said:
Mine did the same thing today fresh out of the box. I was using Blazer brass. It would happen two or three times out of every magazine. But my LC9S never missed a beat using the same ammo. Not real happy.

There could be leftover manufacturing debris in the striker channel and a oil coating on the parts to prevent rust while shipping and storing in a new gun.

sparkyvega

Bearcat
Sbougon said:
Blew it out with Rem Action cleaner, and then compressed air. I guess I won't know till I go back to the range. Thank you for the tip. Fingers crossed.

Awaiting update. 8)