Ruger American in 10mm?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

modrifle3

Buckeye
No . . . not for what the American is marketed toward. Not many people use a 10mm for duty work. I have only met one person in my life who actually carried a 10mm on duty . . . it was a Delta Elite. He shot a perp with it and he said the mess it made caused a lot of questions to be asked. Put 7 rounds in a guy attempting to rob a Waffle House at gunpoint . . . according to him 3 of the bullets hit the spine and blew sections out of the his back you could see on the ground. Family stated it was unnecessary to carry a weapon that could do that level of damage. His lawyer argued it was unnecessary for him to rob the Waffle House and thankfully won.

grobin

Blackhawk
IMHO a handgun hunting version of the American to balance the .41 revolver offerings might do well-lots offolks prefer a semi auto particularly for hogs. It should have at least an 8" threaded barrel and an integral compensator. Easy scope mounting and accessory mounts as well. Under barrel Picatany rail??

Mr25-06

Single-Sixer
I would love a version in the 10mm, but then again I love the caliber in general.

jammer

Single-Sixer
I have been hoping for one for years. It's the perfect caliber for woods and self defense anywhere. I can handle it just fine. And i think it would not only sell but it would bring more popularity to the cartridge. I like the new 1911 but was really bummed it wasn't an American or sr

Rei40c

Blackhawk
10mm is enjoying a recent increase in popularity. My guess is though the manufacturers are waiting to see if the trend sticks or if this is just a temporary fad. But I'm reading people asking for more 10mm options in multiple forums now across multiple brands not just the Ruger American so there may be hope.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Rei40c said:
But I'm reading people asking for more 10mm options in multiple forums now across multiple brands not just the Ruger American so there may be hope.
Asking is one thing, actually buying is quite another. If more manufacturers offer 10 mm pistols it will be interesting to see if they actually sell in adequate numbers to make it worth while. What the 10 mm should be good for is hunting in areas that allow semi-auto handguns where it is basically a higher capacity 41 Mag revolver substitute.

s4s4u

Hunter
41 Mag revolver substitute

I wouldn't go quite that far. The 10 is a nice round but closer to the 357 than the 41 in performance, albeit similar in diameter.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
I think it would sell, although I've been wanting an "SR10" since the SR series pistols came out. It seems like the demand for 10mm is increasing some. I dont understand why Ruger and a few other gun companies keep making striker fired pistols in 9mm, .40, and .45acp in an already very saturated market instead of trying something new.

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
Underwood Ammo makes the 10mm shine ... Lays comfortably between tbe 357 mag and 41 mag . ... In the woods my Glock 29 is stoked with Underwood 200gr XTP ..for two legged vermin.. Underwood 180 gr Gold Dot

mexicanjoe

Single-Sixer
Ive carried a 10mm Glock in the past, and found it to be a very useful cartridge. Load to 40 cal speeds, it is both accurate and easy shooting. Loaded to full house, it is death on wild hogs, large deer, or any animal weighing 100 lbs. +. Yes it does recoil a bit more than a 45 acp in full house, but heck that is one hell of a plastic hogleg..... Out here in the flat deserts of West Texas, if you need a flat shooter that can deliver the goods
consider a 10mm.

sparkyvega

Bearcat
Imagine the Ruger American Pistol in 10mm AND the Ruger PC Carbine in 10mm...now that's a winning pair!

jasper661

Bearcat
The probability of Ruger offering the American in 10mm is relatively low. I have taken a number of big game animals with the .45ACP, loaded with 240-260 grn. bullets. The .45 Super conversion is pretty easy, if it works in a Glock then it will work in the American. For big game shooting the larger diameter heaver bullet is a better choice.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
If Ruger isn't producing a 40 S&W which is more popular and profitable than 10mm, I wouldn't be holding my breath for them to produce a niche 10mm duty gun.

grobin

Blackhawk
I don't see a 40 as a viable duty gun. It's superiority to the 9mm is doubtful, with modern bullets, and modern 45s are much better overall. The newer designs don't have the warts of the 1911. Maybe in some areas the 10mm is what you want. But it's great for hunting. Yes the 41 is arguably better but then so is the 44, 45/70, ....

There is a dearth of really good 10mm pistols today. The Glock-except for the 40-are really too light. IMHO the SIG is the only really viable choice otherwise. There is room for a good solid performing 10.

dakota1911

Buckeye
Last year Ruger came out with the SR1911-10 and a Blackhawk convertible in 10mm/40S&W. I ended up buying both.

They also have their DA revolver models in 10mm.

Would they come out with American models to compete against 10mm Glocks? Good Question.

mistermills357

Blackhawk
rob-c said:
Anyone think Ruger will make one?
I think that they should make one, on a 1911 frame to see if it sells. The Colt 10mm is a premium gun, and it is accurate and vey well made. I think the 10mm would make a good all around gun; in the house, and on the streets both. And if they make one on the American frame, OK, it would still be a 10mm.

grobin

Blackhawk
The SR1911 is available on 10mm. An American forum factor-5 to 6"-barrel would fill a gap.

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
I know I enjoy my Glock 20 & 29 .... The Ruger American seems to be a viable platform....

Latest posts