Security 9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lashlaruhe

Bearcat
First time shooting new Security 9, 15 round model. Fired 130 rounds, 100 WW Steel Cased bulk pack and 30 rounds of Speer brass case ammo.
The brass cased Speer went well with no failures, However, the steel cased ammo had 8 rounds that failed to extract and jammed the handgun.
One 15 round magazine became jammed and believe the follower got twisted so the it would only take 13 rounds. I am goiong to take that magazine apart to try and find out what happened. has anyone else had problems with WW bulk pack steel ammo?
The handgun shot very well and was pleasant with not much noticeable recoil. its appears to be a keeper.

Took the magazine apart and nothing damaged that I could see. The follower has 4 rather small legs on lower side and spring is smaller near follower. Perhaps one or more of the follower legs got hung up on the spring and caused the binding problem??
Will shoot again next week and ??

hittman

Staff member
I only shoot steel case ammo thru an AK-47.

Especially with ammo as cheap as 9mm I see no need to run the junky steel cased stuff at all.

I hear lotsa folks claim it works fine for them, I'm not one of them.

modrifle3

Buckeye
I shoot Winchester Forged steel case when I can't collect brass and through my XDs its amazing the accuracy I get, but some of the dirtiest factory ammo I have ever seen.

t-reg

Single-Sixer
I fondled one at a gun show last weekend and was very impressed. Recomended it to a friend that is new to concealed carry.

Any word when the .40 will be out?

lashlaruhe

Bearcat
I went to shoot it again with 150 rounds of WW9MM Steel case ammo and 100 rounds Federal Brass case ammo. The Federal Brass case ammo worked flawlessly, however the WW steel case ammo had about 1-2 failure to extract every magazine full.
I also loaded the 1st round into the magazine by hand, then used the magazine loader to top it off. It appears tome that the follower can tip up to much with magazine loader on 1st round and cause binding with magazine spring. No magazine problems doing it like that for me.

I hope that Triduum Night Sights are soon available for the Security 9 as I would be in line for them.

5of7

Hunter
OK I got a question; I noticed on the Ruger web site that the specks for the 15 shot gun and the 10 shot gun are the same.
I suspect that the 10 round guns are for the liberal controlled states and the 15 shot guns are for the rest of us.

So, how do they handle the difference in capacity? Do they have different magazines? 8)

s4s4u

Hunter
5of7 said:
OK I got a question; I noticed on the Ruger web site that the specks for the 15 shot gun and the 10 shot gun are the same.
I suspect that the 10 round guns are for the liberal controlled states and the 15 shot guns are for the rest of us.

So, how do they handle the difference in capacity? Do they have different magazines? 8)

I have a Ruger 10 rounder for the P95 and it looks like the base plate extends up into the bottom of the mag body. Kind of like a shotgun plug.

5of7

Hunter
s4s4u said:
5of7 said:

I have a Ruger 10 rounder for the P95 and it looks like the base plate extends up into the bottom of the mag body. Kind of like a shotgun plug.

Do you think that a 15 round magazine would work in a 10 shot version of this pistol? 8)

s4s4u

Hunter
5of7 said:
s4s4u said:
5of7 said:

Do you think that a 15 round magazine would work in a 10 shot version of this pistol? 8)

Don't see why not.