SR9E vs Security9 for first pistol?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

s4s4u

Hunter
modrifle3 said:
Honestly I would go with the American. I think its better than both of those.....

I agree. I went with the compact American. It fits my hand like it was made for me. Sweet trigger as well.

t-reg

Single-Sixer
I fondled and dry fired a Security 9 at a gun show a couple weeks ago.

Holy cow! What a gun. I have a G23 that I adore, but the S9 could almost make that go away.

Mike J

Hunter
modrifle3 said:
Honestly I would go with the American. I think its better than both of those. I like the look of the Security 9 and the 9E, but feel the American is a better choice.

To be honest I only shot a SR 9 once & I didn't care for it. I haven't shot the Security 9 but it seems to have some design features similar to Kel-Tec pistols. It takes down just like the P-11 I used to have. From what I have read it is most likely decent.

Now that I've gotten the disclaimers out of the way. I would expect the American to be a better pistol than either. If interested in one it might be a good idea to find one to rent before purchase. some people seem to have issues with the ergonomics although they seem fine to me.

greyrush

Bearcat
rgrahamvt said:
... so I'm looking for a home defense/occasional carry pistol, something affordable to start off with. After some research into what would suit that purpose, I put that up against the inventories of some local shops and it came down the the SR9E vs the Secirity 9. Which would you go for in my position?

Tough choice. I have the 9E and really like it, but definitely curious about the Security9. The 9E shoots soft and accurate. It is a bit tall though and that's why I'm curious about the S9 as it's a little shorter in the grip length. I have carried the 9E (IWB) a little bit but it's not my first choice for carry due to it's size. The 9E -barely- fits in my truck center console, barely, due to it's height. That's what makes the S9 so appealing to me ... almost the same capacity but a little bit shorter to fit better either on my belt or in the console.

As to some other choices mentioned earlier ... I had a SD9VE, but not long. Yeah, it's cheap, feels nice in the hand, but horrible trigger. I was all over the paper with it. VE for 'value enhanced' but I was left looking for the 'value' part. And the Ruger American ... I tried one at the range once but wasn't all that impressed. Still like the 9E better. And with the interchangeable backstrap on the American, that small gap between the backstrap and dovetail was pinching my skin almost every shot.

D8kD6DT.jpg

WestTex

Single-Sixer
Don't have a 9E (do have SR 9, 40c, and 45) and got a SEC.9 yesterday.

I am beyond thrilled with the SEC9. Much better than I expected as regards internals quality, accuracy, finish, and trigger pull. The thumb safety is hard to engage (fine by me) and Easy to disengage.

Accuracy on par with my SRs. For my old eyes that means about 2" at 10 yards.

Want to get nite sights, but until then I blacked out the "u" rear so as the front dot would stand out more for me.

Coyote Hunter

Single-Sixer
Just went through the same evaluation process myself, looking for a 15+1 to replace my 7+1 EDC pistol (M&P Shield in .40). Checked out pistols from Glock to S&W to Ruger to Sig to Beretta and Kimber.

Ended up with the Security 9.

22/45 Fan said:
FergusonTO35 said:
Not everyone shoots better with a light trigger, I certainly don't. The OP stated he is new to handguns so a light trigger may not be ideal for him.
Neither the S9 nor the S&W has a trigger anyone would describe as light. The S&W SD's have notoriously poor triggers which is odd considering how decent their M&P triggers are.

Not sure when the last time you've tried one or if this is internet knowledge but they have improved the last couple of years, IMO. Mine shoots well. Any one who shoots much at all will get used to what ever trigger he's using unless it's really bad, and I haven't seen one of those in a long time.

I haven't shot the Security9 but I want to. I've got 2 SR9's, 2 M&P9's and an S&W SD9VE. I carry the SD9VE. I like it, I like the way it feels, I have no problem with the trigger what so ever. If someone really can't deal with it Apex had a trigger that is an improvement, I haven't seen the need for it. Gun smith friend of mine was carrying a glock 17, I challenged him to try the SD9VE, he's selling the glock. I am expecting good things with the security9 but I might have enough 9mm's already. Still I am drawn to it from everything I've heard.

Good deal on them here: https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/ss-1712221022098

Latest posts