Speed (Combat) reloading

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
This is a personal preference question, so no bashing is allowed. :wink:

I occasionally will practice combat reloading from a mag pouch. Specifically, counting shots and leaving one in the chamber, drop empty and stuff in a full mag, keep shooting. Rinse, repeat.

Here's my mag pouch, carry on left side belt, bullets pointing forward.

rXMPQL0.jpg

Question: Which do you prefer (assuming you practice this), bullets pointing forward or aft?

I've tried both, and don't notice much difference, just seems more natural to me with bullets forward.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Forward as it seems like more of a natural motion to grab the magazine with my left and rotate up and left to meet the magazine well. Unfortunately my indoor range prohibits "combat reloads" as they consider it a safety hazard. As well as drawing from the holster without supervision. As a result there's nothing speedy about my combat reloads.

s4s4u

Hunter
Forward, then it is a simple rotation of the mag into the well, index finger on the leading edge of the magazine to help guide it. Bullets rearward makes no sense to me.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Rei40c said:
Forward as it seems like more of a natural motion to grab the magazine with my left and rotate up and left to meet the magazine well. Unfortunately my indoor range prohibits "combat reloads" as they consider it a safety hazard. As well as drawing from the holster without supervision. As a result there's nothing speedy about my combat reloads.

Yeah, public ranges are like that. Luckily I have a reasonably large forested property, so can do whatever I want. Combat reloads, fan fire my revolvers, layout a jungle trail range, hunt, etc. Unregulated life is good. I recommend it. :mrgreen:

Mike J

Hunter
I will be the odd man out on this one. The training class I took taught to point the bullets to the rear. When reloading you would grasp the magazine, pull it out of it's carrier & roll it over to right side up as you moved your hand forward & insert it into the magwell. It was all one fluid motion.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Mike J said:
I will be the odd man out on this one. The training class I took taught to point the bullets to the rear. When reloading you would grasp the magazine, pull it out of it's carrier & roll it over to right side up as you moved your hand forward & insert it into the magwell. It was all one fluid motion.

That's ok. Different people are comfortable with different techniques. What matters is practicing with what you are comfortable with. There's dozens of youtube videos with dozens of different techniques that all claim to be "the best". :roll:

The one thing I would advise is that if your carry gun has a mag disconnect/safety that you remove it. You may have to use that last bullet in the chamber before you can lock in a fresh mag. :)

Not much different than reloading a shotgun before you run out. Top that sucker off every chance you get. :)

Mike J

Hunter
GunnyGene said:
Mike J said:

That's ok. Different people are comfortable with different techniques. What matters is practicing with what you are comfortable with. There's dozens of youtube videos with dozens of different techniques that all claim to be "the best". :roll:

The one thing I would advise is that if your carry gun has a mag disconnect/safety that you remove it. You may have to use that last bullet in the chamber before you can lock in a fresh mag. :)

Not much different than reloading a shotgun before you run out. Top that sucker off every chance you get. :)

I almost added to my post that I don't think it really matters which technique you use so much as you are comfortable with it & able to perform it quickly. I don't own a pistol with a magazine disconnect. I was really interested in the P-345 when I first saw one then I came here & read about click-no-bang & it turned me off. I was interested in the SR's too but then I read about them having a similar (though I think possibly better designed) mag disconnect & it turned me off to them.

My only shotgun is an old Mossberg 500. I honestly don't shoot it much but I always liked the fact that it is very easy to top off as you go.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Mike J said:
GunnyGene said:
Mike J said:

I almost added to my post that I don't think it really matters which technique you use so much as you are comfortable with it & able to perform it quickly. I don't own a pistol with a magazine disconnect. I was really interested in the P-345 when I first saw one then I came here & read about click-no-bang & it turned me off. I was interested in the SR's too but then I read about them having a similar (though I think possibly better designed) mag disconnect & it turned me off to them.

My only shotgun is an old Mossberg 500. I honestly don't shoot it much but I always liked the fact that it is very easy to top off as you go.

Most mag disconnects can be easily removed by the owner. The Rugers are pretty simple to do - all you need is a paper clip. Video's on youtube abound. :)

Mike J

Hunter
I would rather just buy a pistol without that feature. I have been carrying an XD-40 for about the past 10 years. I have learned about some folks having some issues with them lately. So, thinking about changing. In the meantime I am going to replace the roll pin with a solid one. I have been looking around though. Actually interested in Sig or FN right now though that may change & I am not in a position to buy right now. Time will tell what I wind up with.

I did buy a full sized American 9mm for my wife though. She likes it (she is recoil sensitive) & I haven't experienced anything negative with it yet. I know some folks seem to get beat up by the frame on them but it hasn't bothered either of us. And I like my SR 1911 & my old .40 cal. P-94 is as reliable as they come.

welder

Buckeye
I carry right side OWB and have my single mag on my left with cartridges facing forward. It was recommended to me when I first started carrying and became my preferred method and after practicing I found it worked well for me.

CoyoteHunter_

Bearcat
Here is what I do. I start with the magazine in the gun. Then I take it out and reverse what I would do if reloading a gun from the magazine holder? IE. Take the mag out and put it in the mag holder. See how you hold the magazine during this time. I think that I hold the magazine with the bullets pointing out or forward when I'm inserting the magazine into the gun's handle. So I start from that position and then move my hand downward and stuff the magazine into the mag holder. I want the bullets pointing forward right before I insert the magazine into the gun. I use an adjustable tension Alien Wear double magazine holder for single stack 9 mm magazine for my Ruger LC9S Pro gun.

CoyoteHunter_

Bearcat
Mike J said:

I think it depends on how you grab the magazine in the mag holder and bring it up to put the magazine into the bottom of the gun. Practice with dummy ammo and you can do this in your living room. eject the last round out of the chamber and then practice the reload in the living room.

I would prefer to practice this very slow at first. Build up muscle/brain memory slowly over time and then after you get the technique down start to speed up a little bit each time. Keep it where you are comfortable doing the repetitions. Soon you will be going faster and still be safe.

Yea I even those guys who have lots of land where they can go shooting any time without the neighbors or sheriff getting on your case. Lucky guys they area. My State Shooting Range use to be very fee and easy going. But they started hiring range officers and installed a fence around the four shooting lanes to better enforce the rules about what you can bring onto the range. Like you can't go into the range with a loaded pistol in a holster on your hip or body. You have to take the gun and unload it and put it in a case before you can enter the shooting range. Even if you have a carry permit from the State. IE they disarm you before you can enter the range. I think that sucks. I am going to have to go out into the old coal mine fields to shoot where no one will bother me.

I carry my primary strong side 4 o'clock right side, a Keltec P-11. My ammo left side 5 o'clock with the bullets facing aft because as I pull out the mag and come up to the gun, it all falls into place for me. No manipulation of gun or magazine till after mag is inserted. My risk assessment is such, that I carry revolvers mostly. I have had an occasion to speed load my Charter .44 spcl, that went well with the way I carry. Ammo for it is in the right side front pocket, just forward of where I carry my gun.
gramps

s4s4u

Hunter
Yawn said:
Aft... would rather not point a gun at my body to load it

Huh? Why would you have to point a gun at your body to load it with bullets in the mag facing forward?

s4s4u said:
Yawn said:
Aft... would rather not point a gun at my body to load it

Huh? Why would you have to point a gun at your body to load it with bullets in the mag facing forward?
Because to put the mag in correctly, from our point of view, that is how you would have to orient the gun. With bullets facing aft no manipulation, the mag goes right in properly with the gun pointed down range.
gramps

Latest posts