P944 feeding issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jules

Single-Sixer
I have a 40 cal that I'm getting feed jams with different factory ammo and reloads and it does it with all 4 mags. 2 are 10 round and the other 2 are 11 round. I polished the feed ramp but it still jams. This don't happen every time I load a mag but it happens more then I like. Anyone else having an issue? I guess I should just send it in to Ruger.

427mach1

Blackhawk
I've never had that problem with mine. Did you have the problem before you polished the ramp? What bullet shape are you using? All I've ever fed mine are flat nose.
Not round flat nose, just flat nose. Pictures of the feed ramp?

jules

Single-Sixer
It has done it with any bullet Style.

IMG_20180125_194938230.jpg

IMG_20180125_194938230.jpg

427mach1

Blackhawk
Hard to tell for sure but it doesn't look like you took a lot of material off, so that is good. Did you have feeding problems before you polished it, though?

427mach1

Blackhawk
First I would take the mags apart and clean them well. Make sure the spring and follower move smoothly. Inspect the feed lips for any burrs, bends, etc.

What is the history of this gun - how long have you had it, how many rounds have you put through it, have you done any other modifications to it, has it always had this problem? What is your level of shooting experience? If you are relatively new to shooting, sometimes limp-wristing can cause jams. Let someone else with more shooting experience shoot it and see if it does the same thing to them.

Look into these things, then send it to Ruger if you don't discover the problem. I can't recall if this will void the warranty or not but just to be safe, I wouldn't mention "reloads" to Ruger.

hittman

Staff member
Splurge on one new mag.
If all 4 of your mags are the same age and had the same usage I suppose it could be that no matter how unlikely it sounds that all 4 have problems at once.

At least this may be the quickest and cheapest test.

roylt

Hunter
Was it working before? If so, what changed?

When was the last time you cleaned it? Are the rails nice and clean? Upper slides free?

Is it first round on a fresh mag only or during firing of the mag midstream?

Few more facts and I bet one of us P-nuts can figure it out.

jules

Single-Sixer
427mach1 said:
First I would take the mags apart and clean them well. Make sure the spring and follower move smoothly. Inspect the feed lips for any burrs, bends, etc.

What is the history of this gun - how long have you had it, how many rounds have you put through it, have you done any other modifications to it, has it always had this problem? What is your level of shooting experience? If you are relatively new to shooting, sometimes limp-wristing can cause jams. Let someone else with more shooting experience shoot it and see if it does the same thing to them.

Look into these things, then send it to Ruger if you don't discover the problem. I can't recall if this will void the warranty or not but just to be safe, I wouldn't mention "reloads" to Ruger.

Not sure how much it's been shot. I bought it used. I cleaned all the mag's the day I got them and the followers look good plus they work fine in my other two P94 s. I've been shooting handguns for about 40 years no limp wristing here. It's had this problem since I've had it.

roylt

Hunter
I would start by comparing to one of your other known good 94s to see if you can tell what may be an issue.

427mach1

Blackhawk
How does the slide feel compared to your other P-94's? Is it possible that the previous owner installed a different recoil spring that is giving problems? Try swapping springs with one of the others. If that doesn't fix it, I'm out of ideas. Might be time to return it to the mother ship.

November

Single-Sixer
Could be an extractor issue. Too much or too little tension can cause what you describe. Also, take a look to see if there are any obvious chips or burrs on the bottom of the extractor where it first contacts the extractor groove on the cartridge.

jules

Single-Sixer
Here's what I found. Both mags from one of the working pistols worked fine with all loads. One of the 10 round from the troubled pistol also worked flawless. I had feed jams with the other 10 rounder and both 11 rounders that I bought used. The mags don't show any defects that I can see so I'll order new Wolff springs and see if that helps. If not I'll pick up a couple new factory mags.

jules

Single-Sixer
I have made a decision to send it into Ruger with all the magazines just to be on the safe side. They now charge $30 for return shipping. Which is actually a small price to pay for a 14 year old handgun to be repaired.

mpalm

Single-Sixer
I wish you well. I had a similar problem with what I thought was jams.....what really happened was I was hitting the slide lock during shooting, locking the slide open. I had to change my grip and it never happened again.
Ruger will probably replace your recoil springs first, then magazine springs and followers.....anything else would cause me surprise...my P944 is an armored tank and very reliable,some say boring, but I like it .

jules

Single-Sixer
mpalm said:
I wish you well. I had a similar problem with what I thought was jams.....what really happened was I was hitting the slide lock during shooting, locking the slide open. I had to change my grip and it never happened again.
Ruger will probably replace your recoil springs first, then magazine springs and followers.....anything else would cause me surprise...my P944 is an armored tank and very reliable,some say boring, but I like it .

Thanks
Not having any issues like that with the slide lock but another issue I had before I sent it to Ruger was the slide not locking back after the last shot every time. 1 out of 3 times it would not lock back.

mpalm

Single-Sixer
Jules,
that issue sounds like bad magazine springs or worn plastic followers. try buying a brand new magazine. ruger still makes them.

jules

Single-Sixer
I bought 2 Wolff springs 10% greater power. I noticed that unlike the factory springs the Wolff springs have the same shape on both ends and the spring is straight. The factory one has a twist and a raised end on one side.
Ruger has the pistol as of yesterday and I expect to hear from them before the end of next week. Not sure where I can get the followers.

Mike J

Hunter
Thanks for the update. My P944 has always been reliable. I hope Ruger gets it straightened out for you.