P95 help requested...'Safety'/'Decocker' slide swap?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TxGun

Bearcat
I need some help from the P series/P95 experts here on the forum. I have a KP95 with the safety/decocker top end. I found a complete KP95 slide assembly with the decocker only arrangement at a good price. I'm considering it. The latter should work on my current frame with no issues. That's my assumption. Am I correct? I guess what I'm really asking is: are there any differences in the frames between the two models?

Thanks in advance for any advice you care to share.

lipofsky

Single-Sixer
Wish I could answer your question, my KP95DC is bone stock acquired new in 1999, has had many thousands of Rnds put through and it works like an old Ford, Flawless only two ammo related FTF. I think it will work but seek more experienced knowledge before before trying.

hittman

Staff member
I do not believe it will work without modification.
That being said, I'm not the authority and hope other members chime in for you.
There's a few guys here who are real P-nuts and they'll have your "for sure" answer.

roylt

Hunter
Do it!!

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=187765&p=1885748&hilit=p95#p1885748

Keep the P-guns alive.

TxGun

Bearcat
Thanks, roylt! I knew the expertise I needed would show up on the forum.

I guess the important part of your attached thread for me was:
"The safe frame with the DC parts works great ..."

So, unless I missed something important, my current 'safe frame' should accommodate the 'DC slide assembly' I'm considering with no issues or mods. What I was hoping to hear!

Thanks again!

roylt

Hunter
I can not guarantee it will work but it did for me. I'm not a gun smith but do enjoy tinkering on the P-series. I prefer the DC units so I would go fit it if the price is right.

TxGun

Bearcat
blume357 said:
Actually, I don't think it will work.. but I could be wrong... it will work on a P89 but I don't think it will on the P95. As for why, that is beyond me.

Please let us know.....

Blume, I haven't received the DC slide assembly yet to try, but back in Sept. 2013 roylt found he could get the Safe frame to work fine with the DC top end (recall the link he provided, of which you were a part?... http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=187765&hilit=p95). The line that got my attention was in the 1st post: "The safe frame with the DC parts works great but the DC frame with the safe parts is real hard in double action." So, I'm hoping I can get that specific combination (Safe frame-DC slide) to work for me, too. Now, as he noted, the reverse...i.e., getting the DC frame to work with the Safe slide assembly did require some mods to work. I thought he explained it all pretty well in the link. If it doesn't work out, ...what the heck...I guess I'll just have to get a P95DC pistol since I'll now have a spare upper assembly. :) I'd be OK with that, too.

roylt

Hunter
I'm guessing you could resell the upper worst case...

Do let us know how it turns out. Also please be safe about it. If you start to feel iffy about anything it isn't worth firing the gun to see if it works.

I'd probably buy the upper (DC only) just for spare parts....
I guess if I broke down and bought a safety one then we would know, I have a 'few' P95 decock onlys and I guess owning one safety one would not be the end of the world.... and yes, somewhere in the back of my mind it seems there was a way to do the switch but I think it took some gun smithing to make it work... just not sure, and goes beyond my limited abilities.... heck I got a book that shows how to tune the trigger on a 10/22... after reading most of it I realized if I absolutely knew what I was doing then it would probably only take about 8 hours to accomplish... lot easer to by a upgrade kit and install.