I'm done buying Ruger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vaguru

Bearcat
With the so called "soft" market, and Ruger sales lower than they wanted for the last quarter(as I read somewhere), I'm done buying them. I see where they have reduced prices on many popular models that my son and I have bought, one just 2 months ago that can now be bought for $70 less! And just found out that another we bought at what was a "good" price last May can now be had for $100 less!

I like what I bought, but now these models are worth less than 1/3 what I paid, and can be replaced for not much more than 1/2 of what I/we originally paid a few short months ago.

Thanks but I'll buy other brands whose products keep their value!

Done venting now.

EdB329

Bearcat
Personally, I purchased the pistols That I Currently own for personal protection and not as investment property. I paid a price that satisfied me at the time and am not concerned about what current prices are, any more than prices for vehicles or groceries are today versus last year. I buy based upon need, desire, price, and affordability for me at the time and try not to worry about what these things cost afterwards. Sure improves my sanity.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
vaguru said:
I like what I bought, but now these models are worth less than 1/3 what I paid, and can be replaced for not much more than 1/2 of what I/we originally paid a few short months ago.

Done venting now.
Well, when you bought your last car, did you consider you could have paid thousands less if you waited until the next year's models came out?

Rei40c

Blackhawk
If you pay attention to the recent market trends the price of all firearms across all manufacturers has been dropping over the course of the last year or so. If you choose to pin this blame on Ruger so be it, but if you do even a little research you'll see the trend in price is extending across all major manufacturers. It's the current market. Not the company.

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
I imagine you are talking about plastic guns.
I don't think there is a plastic gun made that will keep it's value. Not to me anyway.

If you buy quality steel guns they have a better chance of keeping their value.

s4s4u

Hunter
22/45 Fan said:
vaguru said:

Done venting now.
Well, when you bought your last car, did you consider you could have paid thousands less if you waited until the next year's models came out?

Well said. Pointless rant..... ;-)

As for me, I think I will be taking advantage of the lower prices.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Busterswoodshop said:
If you buy quality steel guns they have a better chance of keeping their value.
True but you will pay a lot more initially and while they make keep more of their value, you will still lose significant money if you sell them.

I actually buy guns as an investment... but the reality is I don't expect them to increase in value or decrease... I figure when I'm dead and gone they will probably be worth about what I originally paid for them. I know this is not a good investment plan but since I don't believe in the other ways they sell us on........ it's the best I can do.

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
I imagine that all the other brands are having similar markdowns. Just remember, if the dems get
back in, gun sales will go through the roof again.
As far as buying for an investment, by the time the guns elevate in value, most of us
will be in that "Happy Hunting Ground"
Blackie

micro

Bearcat
I dont loose much sleep over what my guns are worth after I buy them because they are never for sale. I keep all of my guns. Sometimes I pay a little more than the best price just to keep my LGS in business.

gunman42782

Hunter
I guess the OP hasn't seen where Smith and Wesson, Taurus, and all the others have dropped their prices too????

tinman

Buckeye
I don't buy guns (or any other tool) as investments......I buy them to use. I will continue to do so.

Mike J

Hunter
Firearms are not a good investment. A used gun is usually not worth what a new one is. There are exceptions to this (Colt Pythons for example) but most will never go up in value. I bought a parts kit & built an AR in 2013. Now a person can buy a fully assembled rifle for less than I spent getting everything to put it together myself. Markets fluctuate. I buy guns because I want them or have a use for them. Usually if I do sell one I wind up regretting it later on.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
vaguru said:
With the so called "soft" market, and Ruger sales lower than they wanted for the last quarter(as I read somewhere), I'm done buying them. I see where they have reduced prices on many popular models that my son and I have bought, one just 2 months ago that can now be bought for $70 less! And just found out that another we bought at what was a "good" price last May can now be had for $100 less!

Done venting now.
Wow, so angry over a choice you made, that you had to post this on two forums. So if Ruger drops their prices due to a decrease in demand (logical business move), you get mad and think they should keep them at high demand prices and not sell guns, so the people that bought them during high demand times don't get upset?

If I kept price shopping after every purchase I made, my hair would be all pulled out.

Tom-R2

Bearcat
Mike J said:
Firearms are not a good investment. A used gun is usually not worth what a new one is. There are exceptions to this (Colt Pythons for example) but most will never go up in value. I bought a parts kit & built an AR in 2013. Now a person can buy a fully assembled rifle for less than I spent getting everything to put it together myself. Markets fluctuate. I buy guns because I want them or have a use for them. Usually if I do sell one I wind up regretting it later on.

I'm thinking about getting one of the 80% frames and building a pistol this summer. I KNOW I will pay more to build one than to buy the very same stock pistol, but I'm retired and it will be a project - and it will be mine. It won't be exactly like any other pistol anywhere. If I take my time and do a good job, it should be a great firearm. My kids can figure out what it's worth after I die.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Tom-R2 said:
Mike J said:

I'm thinking about getting one of the 80% frames and building a pistol this summer. I KNOW I will pay more to build one than to buy the very same stock pistol, but I'm retired and it will be a project - and it will be mine. It won't be exactly like any other pistol anywhere. If I take my time and do a good job, it should be a great firearm. My kids can figure out what it's worth after I die.

I like projects as well. If you really think about it. Firearms are no more, and in some cases less expensive than other hobbies assuming you only buy one now and then. Photography, camping, boating, ect. All have high costs if you really get into calculating what's actually required.

I say go for it. Only for us there's more sticker shock up front as I see it.

mcb66

Bearcat
it's a buyers market. Soon enough; much too soon for most of us; there will be another democrat president. Bingo... sellers market.