I'm done buying Ruger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

22/45 Fan

Hunter
RSIno1 said:
Steel does seem to hold a higher value. My old S&W model 10s (a 2" and 4") I bought used from a retired Sheriff for $50 each sold for $750 for the pair. The Model 60 I got from him for $50 went for $600.
Well, I agree you really did well financially with those but, of course, the Sheriff lost his shirt on them. :)

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
vaguru said:
With the so called "soft" market, and Ruger sales lower than they wanted for the last quarter(as I read somewhere), I'm done buying them. I see where they have reduced prices on many popular models that my son and I have bought, one just 2 months ago that can now be bought for $70 less! And just found out that another we bought at what was a "good" price last May can now be had for $100 less!
I like what I bought, but now these models are worth less than 1/3 what I paid, and can be replaced for not much more than 1/2 of what I/we originally paid a few short months ago.
Thanks but I'll buy other brands whose products keep their value!
Done venting now.

If you bought the guns as an investment, do what many in the stock market do when prices drop. Buy another at the lower price to lower your average price for each. That way they don't have to appreciate as much to make a profit. :wink:

FergusonTO35

Hunter
RSIno1 said:
Busterswoodshop said:
I imagine you are talking about plastic guns.
I don't think there is a plastic gun made that will keep it's value. Not to me anyway.

If you buy quality steel guns they have a better chance of keeping their value.
They all lose value in the short term. But as years go by and the new guns of the same model go up in price your original gun also goes up. It won't be the same price as a new one but it will exceed what you paid.
My Gen1 Glock 17L I bought new for about $250 sold for $450
My Austrian Gen2 Glock 19 bought new for less than $200 is worth $400
Of course my Gen3 Glock 26 bought new for $500 last year is worth $450 - maybe in 5 years it'll be worth $500 again.
Steel does seem to hold a higher value. My old S&W model 10s (a 2" and 4") I bought used from a retired Sheriff for $50 each sold for $750 for the pair. The Model 60 I got from him for $50 went for $600.

Because of your location, I bet those guns would sell for alot more than that.

GunSlut

Bearcat
I don't think your situation would be any different if you had bought S&W or Springfield or whatever. All gun prices are down new and used. If (you know who) had gotten elected president, the prices would be through the roof for both guns and ammo. Now is the time to stock up for the next drought :) (jmho)

USMCXD

Single-Sixer
planetcat said:
......If I kept price shopping after every purchase I made, my hair would be all pulled out.
True story, but it's crazy how many people do this; not just with gun purchases though. I'm shocked there aren't more bald folks. Do your shopping prior to purchasing and then pull the trigger. Once you buy, refuse to look back. Keep on rocking on forward,... straight to the range to warm up the barrel. :mrgreen: 8) :arrow:

Coyote Hunter

Single-Sixer
s4s4u said:
22/45 Fan said:
vaguru said:
I like what I bought, but now these models are worth less than 1/3 what I paid, and can be replaced for not much more than 1/2 of what I/we originally paid a few short months ago.

Done venting now.
Well, when you bought your last car, did you consider you could have paid thousands less if you waited until the next year's models came out?

Well said. Pointless rant..... ;-)

As for me, I think I will be taking advantage of the lower prices.

DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING!

Time to buy.

Half of my firearms were purchased used and are worth more than I paid for them.

Those that were purchased new are not for sale, but no, I probably would have a hard time getting what I paid for them. I don't blame the manufacturer, nor do I regret the purchase of any of them.

cyborgt800

Single-Sixer
Silly thread!
Are you as upset with your computer, phone, car or name anything else that has gone down in price?
Heck, my first CD drive cost me $500 and it wasn't even fast or rewritable!

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
vaguru said:
With the so called "soft" market, and Ruger sales lower than they wanted for the last quarter(as I read somewhere), I'm done buying them. I see where they have reduced prices on many popular models that my son and I have bought, one just 2 months ago that can now be bought for $70 less! And just found out that another we bought at what was a "good" price last May can now be had for $100 less!

Done venting now.

vagaru,
And which you tube video are you a star on? Prices go up and down with the economy.
Ruger makes a quality product, no matter what the market dictates.
Blackie

Are you guys telling me that I am not going to get my money back on the Sears $1100.00 VHS tape deck I bought in the early 1980's! It is all metal with top load and a WIRED pause button....

Oh man, how am I going to explain this to the Mrs...I told her it was a great investment! Just like my tube TV's and CD players....crap.

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
hittman said:
NH Rugerman said:
$1100.00 VHS

Thank goodness you didn't buy the Sony Betamax (I think it was called!).

Yes be thankful Rugerman she would really be POed if you have invested in one of those things. But I'm thinking the old Betamax in super condition will bring a premium in 25 to 30 years. Hittman we'll be sitting fat then for sure.....

DGW1949

Hunter
donw said:
i cannot recall getting what i paid for, or more, for any firearm I've ever purchased... :roll: :cry:

There are folks who would argue with that, but most times it's because they forgot to factor in inflation. :wink: .

DGW

Coyote Hunter

Single-Sixer
I have regrets for letting a couple of firearms go.

None for buying them.

Don't know that I will ever sell the collection off but do know I'd get a lot of joy giving them away. (To daughters, sons-in-law and grandkids.)

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Coyote Hunter said:
I have regrets for letting a couple of firearms go.

None for buying them.

Don't know that I will ever sell the collection off but do know I'd get a lot of joy giving them away. (To daughters, sons-in-law and grandkids.)

I've always thought that firearms collection or ownership is one of the cheaper hobbies one could have. If you where to compare the cost at the end of the day to a person who invested their money in other hobbies, boating, photography, hunting/camping, my former boss was an aviation enthusiast who owned a small plane which was very expensive ect.

Fun always costs money I think, no matter what your particular interests may be. We all spend our spare change on something and I don't think there's much value in going back and second guessing it after the fact. It's better to enjoy it and not worry about the cost too much. And you shouldn't beat yourself up too much if you enjoyed your purchase, even if you traded it out or sold it six months later for something you liked better. I think compared to some others we are still way ahead of the game cost wise.