I'm done buying Ruger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pps1980

Single-Sixer
Wow. Basic economics. Me, I buy a product to use and if it does the job well i am satisfied. Never been dissatisfied with a Ruger product, ever. Be happy, go plinking.

mac66

Single-Sixer
vaguru said:
With the so called "soft" market, and Ruger sales lower than they wanted for the last quarter(as I read somewhere), I'm done buying them. I see where they have reduced prices on many popular models that my son and I have bought, one just 2 months ago that can now be bought for $70 less! And just found out that another we bought at what was a "good" price last May can now be had for $100 less!

I like what I bought, but now these models are worth less than 1/3 what I paid, and can be replaced for not much more than 1/2 of what I/we originally paid a few short months ago.

Thanks but I'll buy other brands whose products keep their value!

Done venting now.

The derp is very strong in this message.

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
A couple of years ago I bought a S&W Shield in 9mm for carry. It was "the" hot item at the time. I wanted one, it fit my needs perfectly, paid the full "price of admission" and was and remain very happy. Never an issue with it after close to 500 rounds through it. About a year ago, just before the Shield 2 came out you could pick up a 1st generation Shield, after rebate, for $100 less then what I paid. Surely, on paper, my Shield suffered in resale value but I didn't buy it for resale, I bought it as a tool for a specific purpose which it has done and continues to do very well. They could give them away free now for all I care. I have what I want/need and that's all that matters to me.

The Preacher

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I don't look at guns as an investment, since most of mine will never gain in value. I do look at them as a source of equity that can be liquidated to fund other guns or (gasp!) pay bills though. I'm fortunate to have an awesome local dealer who gives me very fair trades and doesn't mind shipping items I sell on GB. If I put the same money in my savings or checking it would be gone because I am not a saver. If I put the money in a gun, it will at least retain some of the value and I can shoot it in the meantime.

BradB

Bearcat
As people die off, leaving surplus of pre-owned guns, prices drop.
Wars end, surplus left over, prices drop.
Manufacturer builds brand new cheap plastic guns, prices drop.
Better paying jobs become extinct, prices drop, (or nothing gets sold!)
Anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Buy it, keep it and enjoy it.
And good luck if you ever have to sell it!

lolbell

Single-Sixer
This is a new one for me. I've heard "I'm done with Ruger because grips didn't fit like I wanted or there's tooling marks under the trigger guard that I can see when I tear it down to clean", but geez "they dropped the price" I am beyond astounded. I think I'll go buy a few while they prices are down.

By the way the gas in my truck cost 9 cents a gallon more than I can buy it for this week. Do I need to swear off of gas?

gunman42782

Hunter
lolbell said:
This is a new one for me. I've heard "I'm done with Ruger because grips didn't fit like I wanted or there's tooling marks under the trigger guard that I can see when I tear it down to clean", but geez "they dropped the price" I am beyond astounded. I think I'll go buy a few while they prices are down.

By the way the gas in my truck cost 9 cents a gallon more than I can buy it for this week. Do I need to swear off of gas?
LOL! My thoughts exactly! Never heard of someone complaining of prices dropping before, unless it was a store owner!

blue2golf

Bearcat
After living though several panics, I'm enjoying the Trump era discounts, even though I've seen weapons that i've bought drop in price after my purchases.

If you wish to see prices jump again, don't worry. The political wheel will turn in DC and there will be another panic. Be careful, however, the next panic may come with a jail sentence for those of us who own an "assault weapon."

welder

Buckeye
I'm rebuilding my ammo stockpile now with ammo that is less expensive than it was just last year, I'd call that a plus. The guns, just reflecting the current market. Me, I'll take cheaper guns and shelves running over with ammo as opposed to what we experienced just a couple years ago, can anyone say .22?

RSIno1

Hunter
If you are disappointed new gun values have dropped you should have voted for Hilllary. Obama holds the record as best gun salesman but I bet prices and sales would have really jumped if we had madam president.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I sure get tired of gun people "wishing" for President Hillary/Pelosi/Schumer to boost their return on gun purchases. Makes me wonder about this nation. :?

modrifle3

Buckeye
vaguru said:
With the so called "soft" market, and Ruger sales lower than they wanted for the last quarter(as I read somewhere), I'm done buying them. I see where they have reduced prices on many popular models that my son and I have bought, one just 2 months ago that can now be bought for $70 less! And just found out that another we bought at what was a "good" price last May can now be had for $100 less!

I like what I bought, but now these models are worth less than 1/3 what I paid, and can be replaced for not much more than 1/2 of what I/we originally paid a few short months ago.

Thanks but I'll buy other brands whose products keep their value!

Done venting now.

This is your only reason??? Mine is due to a trend of unreliability, ugly designs and almost no quality control. I am tired of made in America being a selling point. The SR1911, the Mark 22s and revolvers are the only pistols I will even consider. The American is a nice gun but there is better for the money.

Even there 10/22s which I feel are the best 22 for the money are not what they use to be. How much plastic can you shove into a gun that its original design was all metal. How much more can aluminum really be than plastic. I for years would buy ever metal trigger housing and barrel band on ebay I could find.

The AR and Precision rifle series are wonder pieces too.

I would like to see Ruger take every SR pistol and LC out there, melt them down and go back to the drawing board. No billboards, no barrel play, no indicators and design a good trigger. And lastly a properly finished barrel. The American pistol is a move in the right direction.

As to your price issue. Price is completely driven by market/supply and demand. You wanted it, you bought it. I never buy in the price selling season, always when I know the market is slow or sale time. As far as investment, you have to really research the market and look at what type of firearms hold value. Nothing AR or plastic holds value. Not now and not again until a Dem gets back in.

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
Be glad that sales are down. That means that us folks who want to have self defense
weapons are not worrying about the democrats taking our guns.
Be happy that we can buy firearms.
Blackie

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
Tom-R2 said:
Mike J said:
Firearms are not a good investment. A used gun is usually not worth what a new one is. There are exceptions to this (Colt Pythons for example) but most will never go up in value. I bought a parts kit & built an AR in 2013. Now a person can buy a fully assembled rifle for less than I spent getting everything to put it together myself. Markets fluctuate. I buy guns because I want them or have a use for them. Usually if I do sell one I wind up regretting it later on.

I'm thinking about getting one of the 80% frames and building a pistol this summer. I KNOW I will pay more to build one than to buy the very same stock pistol, but I'm retired and it will be a project - and it will be mine. It won't be exactly like any other pistol anywhere. If I take my time and do a good job, it should be a great firearm. My kids can figure out what it's worth after I die.

Tom,
Check out SARCO. They have 100% frames for 1911s. I have built up several .22s
and a 9MM with their frames.
Blackie

RSIno1

Hunter
Busterswoodshop said:
I imagine you are talking about plastic guns.
I don't think there is a plastic gun made that will keep it's value. Not to me anyway.

If you buy quality steel guns they have a better chance of keeping their value.
They all lose value in the short term. But as years go by and the new guns of the same model go up in price your original gun also goes up. It won't be the same price as a new one but it will exceed what you paid.
My Gen1 Glock 17L I bought new for about $250 sold for $450
My Austrian Gen2 Glock 19 bought new for less than $200 is worth $400
Of course my Gen3 Glock 26 bought new for $500 last year is worth $450 - maybe in 5 years it'll be worth $500 again.
Steel does seem to hold a higher value. My old S&W model 10s (a 2" and 4") I bought used from a retired Sheriff for $50 each sold for $750 for the pair. The Model 60 I got from him for $50 went for $600.

hittman

Staff member
Folks can help themselves by making good buying decisions.

Today for example there are about a dozen brand new in the box Ruger single actions on CDNN for $600.00 or so. Stainless, blued, rim fire, center fire, short barrel, long barrel, etc.

For MY $600.00 I'll find a 40 to 60 year old Ruger single action.

jimmyjsr40

Bearcat
I suppose at this point it is important to hope after I am gone that my wife will not sell my firearms for what I told her I paid for them!!

Rei40c

Blackhawk
jimmyjsr40 said:
I suppose at this point it is important to hope after I am gone that my wife will not sell my firearms for what I told her I paid for them!!

:lol: :lol: