New Here, with new LCP, and have a question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Steelerdude1

Bearcat
Just picked up a new LCP, and got it out to the range today. After 18 rounds the slide pin started working its way out, and kept owing so with every magazene shot. The weird thing is, I had a heck of a time getting it out when I cleaned it.

When I field stripped it to clean, it had an excessive amount of oil on it from the factory (probably should have cleaned it before I took it out, but the manual didn't recommend it). Plus it was 20°out, so I'm not sure if either of those factors could have had an impact on this happening.

My question is, is this a known issue? Do you guys thing the oil or the cold could have caused this?

Other than that, I was pretty impressed with the accuracy at 10 yards for such a small gun.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Is it the LCP or the LCP II? That may help people in helping you. For all it's worth I've never heard of this specific problem before here in the forums. I do feel pretty strongly the oil plus or minus should not have caused this malfunction alone.

Xsales

Buckeye
The oil is not needed there and could have caused the slipping

If it keeps drifting out - create a small slit with sharp knife so that there is a flap created
This will make it slightly larger diameter and fit in tighter

5of7

Hunter
When you remove the pin during dis-assembly, you will notice a groove in the pin just forward of the head of the pin. That groove is supposed to engage a spring in the frame. Check to see if the spring is there and if the pin has the groove cut in it.

When re-assembled, there should be a clicking sound when the spring engages the groove in the pin. It it don't, then a call to Ruger is the best way to fix it.

If you have to call Ruger, be nice to the person on the other end of the call and ask for a shipping label (which you may have to print) and that will fix the problem. You don't want your gun to come apart in the middle of a gun fight. 8)

Steelerdude1

Bearcat
Thanks guys!

I purchased the original LCP, not the newest II. The spring is there, the pin does have a groove, and it does "click" in when assembling..

If it continues to happen the next time out, I will contact Ruger.

louchia

Single-Sixer
Welcome to the forum. The take down pin backing out was a some what common problem on LCP Gen 2 models. Ruger redesigned the take down pin which seemed to help solve the issue. Give them a call. As someone mentioned, be nice and they will by in kind. Ruger has Great CS. They will fix or replace.
I assume the name Steelerdude tells us where you are from not what you do.

Steelerdude1

Bearcat
louchia said:
I assume the name Steelerdude tells us where you are from not what you do.

That is correct, LOL. I guess I should go in and add some info to my profile. I am in west central pa, about 70 miles east of Pittsburgh.

RedLabel

Single-Sixer
Don't know what is going on with your gun but I love my old LCP. Works great all the time and everytime. By the way, I bought mine used so it was already well broken in.

conrad

Bearcat
My LCP had the same thing happen the first time I took it to the range. I sent it back to Ruger and haven't had a problem since. I'm not sure what they did to correct the problem.