"groovy" barrel on Security 9.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wolfee

Blackhawk
I assume the groove in the muzzle end of the barrel is designed to help locate the barrel in the slide properly. Seems to me the thickness of the barrel at the narrow portion of the groove would be VERY thin. Have there been any reports of kablooey's with the Ruger autos that have the grooved barrels? I note that the Security 9 manual has an admonishment to avoid +p+ and the American does not have this verbage.

s4s4u

Hunter
I haven't seen a copy to look at said groove, but I highly doubt it would be a problem. Pressure is much reduced by the time a bullet reaches the muzzle. Many barrels are threaded for supressors and you don't see them blowing up even though the barrel is significantly thinner.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I don't think any manufacturer gives a thumbs up when it comes to the use of +P+. There is no SAAMI spec for it so for liability sake they can't give it the go ahead.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
rammerjammer said:
I don't think any manufacturer gives a thumbs up when it comes to the use of +P+. There is no SAAMI spec for it so for liability sake they can't give it the go ahead.

:!: This fact. :!: