A 9mm EC9s

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
model 3283. Essential Compact 9mm - striker. LC9 mags look to be identical.
I think this is going to be a decent gun for its intended use? Cast slide has as-cast sights and serrations. Those differences made it a lower-cost pistol, and at $230 plus tax, I can tolerate the striker-fired fire control system. :wink: I need to look for a belt-clip for it. Range report coming if I can get out there...

One of the new wave of company-savers, five minutes value-added time (assembly-finish-test-packaging). I think it will put the LC9 out of consideration and production, eventually. Why pay more?

Xsales

Buckeye
What IS the difference between the LC9s and the EC9s?
Just the built in sight & cast slide?

I have the LC9s Pro (no external safety) but do not see an EC9s Pro model offering the same

Taterman

Buckeye
I like the looks of that, just the size/type I hope to get someday. Looking forward to your range report.

mac66

Single-Sixer
Xsales said:

I have the LC9s Pro (no external safety) but do not see an EC9s Pro model offering the same

The EC9s (economy version) is the same as the LC9s but has the machined sights and more basic finish. So the only difference is the sights and finish (and price of course)

The LC9s has the manual safety and mag safety (Pro doesn't) and outsells the Pro version so from what I hear, Ruger is replacing both with the cheaper to make EC9s.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Not "machined sights", they are as-cast and monolithic with the slide (There are no dots, bars, paint, etc), same as the gripping serrations.
A simplified improvement process to cut manufacturing costs and MSRP drastically.

You do get both flat & pinky-shelf base plates with the single 7-rd magazine, and an orange plastic magazine block for dis-assembly, and a cable-padlock, and a red plastic chamber flag. Comes in a box marked LC9s, and an LC9s manual with a single-page insert for the EC9s slide. And a logo sticker and advertisement for CRKT/Ruger knives. And thankfully, a discount card for NRA membership (gift a year or more to someone today!) up to $40 off.

A snappy thumb safety compliments the trigger safety, reassuring with a striker design (to me at least).
- There is a 380ACP version coming also.
- The E is for "essential", per earlier marketing vernacular. Everything to make the gun go bang, nothing you don't need...

I say get one.

cobra357

Bearcat
Picked one up yesterday in a package deal at the local show for just under $235. Most I saw were marked around $250. Now I just need to hit the range.

hittman

Staff member
That's an attractive gun at an attractive price. Love the idea of the sites being part of the slide.

Too bad my "old" LC9 (no "S") isn't worth anything ...... otherwise I might consider making a trade for one of these gems.

Can anyone confirm that my old LC9 mags will work in this new EC9s?

jackinil

Bearcat
Bought one today at my LGS. Pick it up Wednesday. Comes with 1-7rd mag. Midway had the 7 and 9 rd mags on sale,picked up a 9 rd for backup.

Taterman

Buckeye
jackinil said:
Bought one today at my LGS. Pick it up Wednesday. Comes with 1-7rd mag. Midway had the 7 and 9 rd mags on sale,picked up a 9 rd for backup.

If I may ask, did you get it for a similar price to what the others here did ($235-250)? Just curious about local pricing since we seem to live in the same general area.

jackinil

Bearcat
Taterman said:
jackinil said:

If I may ask, did you get it for a similar price to what the others here did ($235-250)? Just curious about local pricing since we seem to live in the same general area.
Yessir[$239]-I live about 2 minutes from GAT Guns so I got it there. Could Have saved a few bucks online but this is much quicker.

mohavesam said:
:wink: I need to look for a belt-clip for it. Range report coming if I can get out there...

I hope you don't mean one of those clips that goes on the gun and you then just clip the gun to your belt.
I usually hate the 'don't do this police on the internet' but I will say for a fact that in my opinion the LC9 or EC9 as they are calling it now needs to be carried in a holster with the trigger covered.

I'll step off the pulpit now.....

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Yup, thats what I meant. There is nothing handier for a true defensive weapon. Living (by choice and determination) in a constitutional-carry state, I can slip the smaller gun on anytime, anywhere. There is nothing simpler or smaller for a loaded gun in my pocket or waistband.I have two bins full of leather but there is advantage in a belt clip and it doesn't interfere with most holsters I actually use.

But I digress... yes, the EC9s will wear a Techna/Extreme Clip eventually. With the thumb safety I hold almost no trepidation about the striker-trigger.

Taterman

Buckeye
jackinil said:
Yessir[$239]-I live about 2 minutes from GAT Guns so I got it there. Could Have saved a few bucks online but this is much quicker.

Small world, I've been going to GAT for over 25 years. Not as much lately though, no money to spend. I'm about 10 minutes from them.
Likes like they gave you a great price.

5of7

Hunter
I was talking to a gun counter clerk at Field & Stream yesterday and he said that the EC9s was just 1/2 way between the LCP and the regular LC9s. I told him (in a very polite way) that Ruger's spec sheet had them both with identical dimensions.

He acted like I had swatted him on the nose with a newspaper. 8)

mac66

Single-Sixer
5of7 said:
I was talking to a gun counter clerk at Field & Stream yesterday and he said that the EC9s was just 1/2 way between the LCP and the regular LC9s. I told him (in a very polite way) that Ruger's spec sheet had them both with identical dimensions.

He acted like I had swatted him on the nose with a newspaper. 8)

If you read the literature Ruger put out they make it sound like the EC9s is smaller and they never refer to it being a variation of the LC9s so I can understand why the clerk might think that. I did until I went to the description of the original LC9/s/pro on the website. They use the same ambiguous language. Ruger probably should have named it the LC9e or LC9se instead of the EC9s

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer

At those prices doesn't really pay to buy on line; when you add shipping and transfer fee of an online purchase.

hittman

Staff member
I asked my LGS today to see if he can find one of these and what his price would be.
I also emailed Ruger to see if my old LC9 (no "S") mags will work in the EC9s.

CoyoteHunter_

Bearcat
mac66 said:
Xsales said:

The EC9s (economy version) is the same as the LC9s but has the machined sights and more basic finish. So the only difference is the sights and finish (and price of course)

The LC9s has the manual safety and mag safety (Pro doesn't) and outsells the Pro version so from what I hear, Ruger is replacing both with the cheaper to make EC9s.

Well that's not what I like to hear since I have the LC9S Pro model. LOL

jackinil

Bearcat
Picked mine up last night. Cleaned and lubed it and dry fired it.Nice trigger. I sold a LCP II to get this and also consolidate calibers[my other CCW is a CZ PCR 9mm]. Ordered a Vedder Light Tuck holster for it along with a 9 rd extra mag.Now to find the range time.......
tAoRzOm.jpg