Do You Shoot Federal Premium Micro 150 gr Cartridges?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Conservative

Blackhawk
I was at Cabelas yesterday and found these.

Printed on the box of 20: Minimizes felt recoil and improves function in micro guns. Extreme bullet expansion (the word 'extreme' is apparently still in vogue) and further stated on the box...consistent penetration depths.

Given my Ruger LC9S is a sub-compact = Micro, so I bought a box.

My question: Any of you shoot this specific round? If so, what's your take on them?

I was looking for another type of Federal HST with law enforcement posted on the box, but they didn't have any of those rounds, so I thought I'd give these a try.

I'm sure I can find them for quite a bit less expensive on the interweb, as Cabelas wants $26.99 (before tax of 8.25%) for a box of 20, which I think a bit over the top pricey, but I had some credit due me from Cabelas, so I said what the heck, I'll try them.

I've yet to do so, but will soon.

Pps1980

Single-Sixer
Nope. Reviews that I trust from various testers indicate that they don't function better from 3in barrels, cost a ton compared to better offerings, and there's too much ammo that I do trust like the Federal HSTs you mentioned (my preferred round is 124gr standard pressure). The HSTs I just purchased, with free shipping, were $19.99/50 making them 40cents per round instead of $1.46/round. I need to shoot at least 50 of a round through the weapon without any issues to trust my life to it and then carry 33 of that round. Cost for your new round would be around $120. Cost for the HSTs is $33.20 - plus the HSTs are proven performers.

Conservative

Blackhawk
Pps1980,

Thank you for your response.

Of course, I'm one of those often willing to try new stuff, and every once in a while I'm delighted.

When my wife and I go out to eat, I try stuff I've never eaten before while she remains completely adherent to what she knows she likes and most of the time she's absolutely right and I'm eating some kind of disappointment...

vaguru

Bearcat
I agree with the 124 gr HST out of the LC9s. Tests done by shootingthebull.net were very good, and my testing afterwards for function, accuracy, POI, velocity and expansion/penetration all were similar to his. Great ammo.

Pps1980

Single-Sixer
Conservative said:
Pps1980,

Thank you for your response.

Of course, I'm one of those often willing to try new stuff, and every once in a while I'm delighted.

When my wife and I go out to eat, I try stuff I've never eaten before while she remains completely adherent to what she knows she likes and most of the time she's absolutely right and I'm eating some kind of disappointment...

I understand. For me, changing my carry ammo takes a lot because of the stakes. Eating out, not so much. Hope it works well for you.

DGW1949

Hunter
gramps said:
Federal 9 BP. 115 gr JHP works well in my Keltec P-11. No need to change.
gramps

That's a good, proven, 'all around' load, and has been for years. Plus, I've yet to meet a 9MM pistol that it didn't feed well in.

Sometimes, simpler really is better...no offense to the gun-rag guru's and advertisers meant.

DGW

s4s4u

Hunter
FergusonTO35 said:
I shoot and carry FergusonTO35 brand super premium/not available in stores ammo. One guy makes every round in his basement! :wink:

What he said ^^^ ;-)

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Like the fishing lure analogy, most new cartridges these days are designed to catch shooters, not bad guys?
IRL, you might have to defend your ammo selection to a jury of non-gun people, and I like to carry whatever the local PD carries, as there is a lot of merit in that and it makes your attorney's job simpler.

Don't mean to sound like a fatalist, but lets not lose sight of the task. Repeatable accuracy and confidence in your weaponry will rule the day.

Mike J

Hunter
I have been carrying it in my CM9. I don't know that I have seen a ballistics gelatin test on the 150 grain round but LuckyGunner had done a lot of ballistics test with self defense ammunition using a short barreled 9mm pistol. IIRC the Federal HST 147 grain round had tested well. I figured since it had done well the 150 grain would work well also. It only ran a couple of mags of it through my pistol but it feeds & fires fine & hits where I am aiming so it is okay in my book. I bought the ones I have at Academy. I was meaning to order some 147 grain HST's online from ammunitiondepot IIRC they had a good price on a box of 50 but haven't gotten around to it.

DonD

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
I shoot and carry FergusonTO35 brand super premium/not available in stores ammo. One guy makes every round in his basement! :wink:

Is this a joke? I sometimes don't see sarcasm in internet threads. Googled FergusonT035 and got images of farm tractors. Don

vaguru

Bearcat
DonD said:
FergusonTO35 said:

Is this a joke? I sometimes don't see sarcasm in internet threads. Googled FergusonT035 and got images of farm tractors. Don

The poster, Ferguson T035, is informing us that HE handloads his carry ammo. Nothing more, nothing less.

DonD

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
Yes, exactly. My user name is FergusonTO35, and I was making a joke that my own reloads are "super premium/not available in stores."

Thanks for the clarification. The internet isn't a good medium for expressing humor.

I was in no way suggesting that you don't do good reloading work. For all I knew, you might be a new "boutique" reloading company. Don

s4s4u

Hunter
IRL, you might have to defend your ammo selection to a jury of non-gun people, and I like to carry whatever the local PD carries, as there is a lot of merit in that and it makes your attorney's job simpler.

In reality this is a non-issue.