Extended Ruger 9 Round Magazine - 2 Failures In A Row!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Conservative

Blackhawk
These 2 were labeled Ruger, made in the U.S. for my LC9S, sold by a reputable gun supplier.

I'm told that the Italian made mags are superior, but I don't know where to obtain them and at this point I've given up and simply ordered another 7 rounder with the thumb extender.

Maybe the spring in the 9 rounders mags are inferior. Since the 7 rounder it came has never failed, I hope the 7 rounder I ordered as a back up holds up, we'll see...

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
SR1911SHOOTER said:
I ordered a 9 round mag for my wife"s LCP, it is FUBAR!
Blackie
If its ProMag that's probably your problem. Stick with the Ruger 7 round mags for the LCP and you should be good to go.

Not to totally bash ProMag, I've got a few of their mags for various guns that all work well enough, but I wouldn't employ them for carry.

Conservative

Blackhawk
Remember I posted this: These two 9 rounder magazines were labeled Ruger, i.e., not another brand.

I went so far as to call the supplier and ask if they sold this product at a lower price than other gun suppliers because it was a known defective batch of magazines they have so they paid less for them...

The response was "no, no sir, we'd never do that" uh-huh, 2 defective exactly the same magazines in a row, gimme a break.

They know the magazines are crap, but sell them anyway probably guessing many if not most will simply throw them in the trash, not willing to go through the bother of returning them.

Maybe, I ought to re-think their being reputable.

Right now, I'm not going to mention the name of the supplier, but if I did you'd be familiar with them.

hittman

Staff member
You mad at the supplier or manufacturer or are they the same outfit?

Conservative

Blackhawk
hittman,

Let's put it this way: I've bought a number of magazines made by Glock, not one failure, made by Pmag, not one failure, I could go on...no magazine failures with mags I bought that didn't come with the pistol or rifle. Ever. And I've bought a bunch...

Now, to get more directly answering your question.

I'm not angry at either, but I think at this point both must know these 9 round extended magazines have problems, big problems, but they continue to sell them as is. Caveat Emptor, eh? Mr. buyer?

Why not stop selling them if you're the distributor? You know enough of them have been complained about to justify returning them to the mfg....

Let the mfg make it right.

Me, I returned both and one thing that p.o.'d me, so yeah, I guess I am a little angry, was that on the second one I complained about after it's failure, the c.s. person started talking about testing the magazine I'd return to 'see' if it failed in their view. That was unacceptable, especially given I'd bought a lot of their stuff over the years without returning anything until these 9 round extended magazine junkers were received.

Let me say this: The head guy of this distributor's name is: Larry... and up until now I always thought a quality supplier.

Ultimately, after a bit of debate, they decided 'testing the magazine' wouldn't be required after all and supplied a free return including a refund. Which edges them back into reputable, to a degree...but had I not negotiated....test this: No more of my business.

When they as suppliers, find a number of complaints occurring about a specific problem item, don't give the faithful customer grief. Look at the mfg, return the batch of inferior products and notify the mfg, they must get with the quality program or we won't continue as distributors as we have a reputation that won't allow inferior products we get blamed for thus our losing business...

hittman

Staff member
I can't decide if your reply is funny or sad.
Regardless, sorry I touched a nerve. I'm out.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
You seriously thought they were going to take the time to test out the TWO specific magazines you purchased?

Where are you getting the evidence that the 9 round magazines have a lot of problems?

Conservative said:
hittman,

Let's put it this way: I've bought a number of magazines made by Glock, not one failure, made by Pmag, not one failure, I could go on...no magazine failures with mags I bought that didn't come with the pistol or rifle. Ever. And I've bought a bunch...

Now, to get more directly answering your question.

I'm not angry at either, but I think at this point both must know these 9 round extended magazines have problems, big problems, but they continue to sell them as is. Caveat Emptor, eh? Mr. buyer?

Why not stop selling them if you're the distributor? You know enough of them have been complained about to justify returning them to the mfg....

Let the mfg make it right.

Me, I returned both and one thing that p.o.'d me, so yeah, I guess I am a little angry, was that on the second one I complained about after it's failure, the c.s. person started talking about testing the magazine I'd return to 'see' if it failed in their view. That was unacceptable, especially given I'd bought a lot of their stuff over the years without returning anything until these 9 round extended magazine junkers were received.

Let me say this: The head guy of this distributor's name is: Larry... and up until now I always thought a quality supplier.

Ultimately, after a bit of debate, they decided 'testing the magazine' wouldn't be required after all and supplied a free return including a refund. Which edges them back into reputable, to a degree...but had I not negotiated....test this: No more of my business.

When they as suppliers, find a number of complaints occurring about a specific problem item, don't give the faithful customer grief. Look at the mfg, return the batch of inferior products and notify the mfg, they must get with the quality program or we won't continue as distributors as we have a reputation that won't allow inferior products we get blamed for thus our losing business...

Conservative

Blackhawk
hittman,

You didn't hit a nerve.

I thought your question quite reasonable.

I've done a bit of ye ole internet research finding a number of other complaints regarding Ruger's 9 round extended magazines.

To be fair, not each an every one sold were complained about.

I chalk that up to: The folks who've had no grief haven't shot them very often. Both of mine worked just fine to begin, but when I hit plus 100 rounds downrange they failed. One completely lost it's spring and internals, leaving me with magazine that couldn't be loaded. The other simply started misfeeding so often I gave up on it. What was some of the mis-feeding: FTE - Stove Pipes with unfired rounds, others where the cartridge was simply scarily jammed and well, you get my drift. I spent the rest of my range time using the 7 rounder without a single problem. Probably shooting another 75 or so rounds after giving up on the 9 round extended magazine.

Hope this clears it up for you.

The 7 rounder the gun came with at this point has approximately 300 rounds without a single failure.

The Ruger 9 round extended magazine (to fit an LC9S) is a known inferior products, but there's been no recall...they're still being sold and still failing...