lci

Help Support Ruger Forum:

spanky509

Bearcat
Me too. Don't like the lci. I have both and since buying the 9e from our member in Chandler, Az. Not fired the sr9 at all.

For those that have never experienced an LCI, this picture is worth a thousand words.

I agree. A protruding loaded chamber indicator is an annoyance. I much prefer the little cutout where you can visually see a portion of the case in a little window.

Nice safety feature as long as it does not effect the function of the gun. In training you are taught to pull the slide back just a tad to check the chamber.... but there are some semi autos where this is a real pain to do.... on double/single actions you cock the hammer to make it easier to slightly pull back the slide a tad... the problem is on double action onlys and especially sub compacts this is hard to do.

Mike J

Hunter
I have an XD that has a small loaded chamber indicator that never really bothered me. I never really liked the SR series. The loaded chamber indicator on them always seemed huge to me but the real reason was the magazine disconnect. To be honest I've never really depended on a loaded chamber indicator anyway. If I want to know my pistol is clear I'm going to drop the mag & lock the slide back. If I want to know it is loaded I will do as Blume said & pull the slide back a very small amount. I do prefer the small cutout that lets you look.

StanD

Bearcat
Heliman said:
Acronyms bug the heck out of me. Spell it out please for an uncommon one. :?

Dave

Same here Dave. A new person on a forum hasn't got a clue what's being said. The loaded indicator doesn't bother me nor do the safety features. I'm too old to worry about being macho, in fact I'm old enough to screw up so they are probably a good thing for me.

Conservative

Blackhawk
Glocks have em too, but you have to know how to find them.

Honest Injun, they really are equipped with em, at least, my G19 gen 3 have em...I have two...

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Clovishound said:
Loaded Chamber Indicator.

They don't bother me. I don't think they are a necessary safety item.
I don't think they are particularly a safety item but they do confirm you actually retracted the slide sufficiently to load a new round. The Ruger SR version is easy to see and gets in the way of nothing. What's the objection? The magazine disconnect on the SR's is more of a problem but easily removed.

grobin

Blackhawk
I find them neither useful nor annoying. If you don't pull back the slide and check you don't know for sure. I just don't buy or use weapons where this is an issue!

Hmm, I know the condition my carry weapon is in. No need to check. With the LCP you can look and see the cartridge if that is a problem for you.

When an abbreviation is first used, it is spelled out followed by the abbreviation.
"Loaded Chamber Indicator" (LCI)
gramps

grobin

Blackhawk
Not to be pedantic some require acronym followed by the expansion: e.g. LCI (Loaded Chamber Indicator). I slightly favour this as the reader seems to get it more often. I do not feel that acronyms should be used unless they occur frequently in the article or are a relatively obscure standard that needs explanation.

Actually that is a big gripe I have about our local newspaper.. and their lack of proof readers and the training of their reporters... they will constantly write and article and use an acronym and not define it.

As for the loaded chamber indicator... or more to the point checking to see if one is in the chamber.... it reminds me of the only time I've seen this done in a movie or on television... The movie Heat with Robert De Niro and Al Pacino .... both when they pull their weapons check to make sure one is in the chamber.

DonD

Single-Sixer
I've never understood a couple firearms issues some shooters have.

Dislike for safeties. Don't like it, don't use it, easy. Don't use it and you have the same reliability as a gun w/o a safety

Loaded Chamber Indicator. Personally, I like the SR9Cs, quick and obvious indication of a round in the chamber, much like an exposed hammer on a 1911. Sure beats peering through a tiny opening such as on the LCP. Don

ilikerams

Single-Sixer
DonD said:
I've never understood a couple firearms issues some shooters have.
Me neither, if they don't like their LCI, all they have to do is look down the bore with a flashlight. If it's loaded they can see the front of the bullet. That'll work won't it. :wink:

grobin

Blackhawk
Well just pull the trigger! That all you need!!

As for safties passive safeties are a bit problematic. e.g. some of the Savage 'Accu triggers can be removed and some not readily. I've seen a 'disabled' grip safety on a commander prevent firing.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I have never liked the LCI. I don't blame people for liking them or disliking them. It is a personal preference. I have always made LCI plugs and enjoyed the guns the out them.
In fact there are a few Ruger's that I will not buy because they have them. I now can buy the Mark IV because they do not have the LCI anymore.

Simple answer for any pistol... if there is a magazine in the gun then there is a round in the chamber... remove the mag eject the round in the chamber. Keep all your semi-autos like that and you are 'safe'.