lci

Help Support Ruger Forum:

22/45 Fan

Hunter
grobin said:
I find them neither useful nor annoying. If you don't pull back the slide and check you don't know for sure. I just don't buy or use weapons where this is an issue!
The "press check" to confirm a loaded chamber has it's own problems. If nothing else it puts your hand too close to the muzzle.

grobin

Blackhawk
I've no idea what a press check is. Are you preparing to shoot a reporter?

A press check is where you pull the slide back far enough to visualize the cartridge, therefore knowing it is in Condition 1. Very popular with the tactical crowd.
gramps

22/45 Fan

Hunter
blume357 said:
Simple answer for any pistol... if there is a magazine in the gun then there is a round in the chamber... remove the mag eject the round in the chamber. Keep all your semi-autos like that and you are 'safe'.
In an ideal world that is exactly what everyone would do all the time. However, the real world is far from ideal and "accidents" do happen so mechanical safety devices are an attempt to substitute for proper behavior.

mac66

Single-Sixer
The LCI and mag disconnect (MD) used to irritate me just knowing they were there. After carrying the pistol for 2 or 3 years I don't even notice the LCI anymore and the MD is a non issue.

grobin

Blackhawk
IMHO any discharge due to improper handling is NOT accidental! Unfortunately the bugger who screws up is not the one who's injured.

Armybrat

Buckeye
ilikerams said:
DonD said:
I've never understood a couple firearms issues some shooters have.
Me neither, if they don't like their LCI, all they have to do is look down the bore with a flashlight. If it's loaded they can see the front of the bullet. That'll work won't it. :wink:
:lol: :mrgreen:

The lci has never bothered me, nor the safety - as they do not affect the gun's function. Some folks gotta have something to complain about though.

E359_B745_698_C_4_CBE_8999_6_B545_E2684_B5.jpg

Mike J

Hunter
blume357 said:
Simple answer for any pistol... if there is a magazine in the gun then there is a round in the chamber... remove the mag eject the round in the chamber. Keep all your semi-autos like that and you are 'safe'.

I pretty much agree with this. Before I treat the the gun as if it is unloaded I'm going to drop the magazine & manually lock the slide back to make sure anyway.

grobin

Blackhawk
+1! Otherwise irregardless of the safety: passive, thumb, dumb, biometric, electronic, psychic, ..., it's in condition 0!!

The lci has never bothered me, nor the safety - as they do not affect the gun's function. Some folks gotta have something to complain about though.

There's more than me just needing something to complain about. As an Ordnanceman, I have seen parts and systems fail on every weapon imaginable. If it's a mechanical component, it can fail. I just don't like extra mechanical components added to any weapon that are not a necessary part for the weapon to function, but still could fail, and create a stoppage. Since the LCI does ride on and is lifted by the rim of a cartridge, it is entirely possible that the LCI slot could be damaged or plugged, or the LCI itself damaged, and if the LCI cannot lift as it should, it could cause the gun from going into battery. Highly likely? No. Possible? Yes.

I have also read reports of LCI's breaking. If the LCI, pin, and/or spring falls on the ground, it's no big deal. If the parts find their way into the gun, that could also create a stoppage.

Murphy has successes of his own without us giving him extra chances. Same with magazine disconnects, passive firing pin safeties, and internal locks. If some of us have opinions, and would prefer to have, or not have, any given feature, it doesn't necessarily mean we are mindless complainers.

On a range, such a failure might be just an inconvenience and probably doesn't matter. In real life, it could be tragic.

And if a feller wants a model that tells him if it's loaded or not, go for it. That's his choice and his business.

Armybrat

Buckeye
Point taken Wayno, but I didn't choose my SR9 or the SR45 because I needed an lci. They just happened to be a part of the guns' design when purchased. Will agree with you that they are unnecessary. Actually I'd prefer them without it, but they don't really bother me..... yet.

Armybrat said:
Point taken Wayno, but I didn't choose my SR9 or the SR45 because I needed an lci. They just happened to be a part of the guns' design when purchased. Will agree with you that they are unnecessary. Actually I'd prefer them without it, but they don't really bother me..... yet.

And it will very likely never be an issue. I've had plenty of LCI-equipped handguns, and I've also never had an issue. But given a choice, I still prefer such a gun as clean as possible from unnecessary add-ons.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
WAYNO said:
And it will very likely never be an issue. I've had plenty of LCI-equipped handguns, and I've also never had an issue. But given a choice, I still prefer such a gun as clean as possible from unnecessary add-ons.
The possibility of the lci alerting an otherwise inattentive gun owner to the fact the chamber still has a live round is more valuable than the extremely remote chance that this mechanically very simple device will malfunction. Yes, the lci Ruger initially installed in the MkIII was problematic but the one in the SR-series has no downside except appearance.

Armybrat

Buckeye
WAYNO said:
Armybrat said:

That's why this Kahr is my carry gun - clean & simple:

b8a35bb84e0ddd1811cdbec10820aa862e7455e.JPG

grobin

Blackhawk
Not being adversarial but how? There are two kinds I'm aware of; a port that lets you see that a cartridge is chambered (I don't see a need to worry about this) or a mechanical indicator. There are a number of different styles of the later. I don't see any probable failure modes but don't see a way to eliminate the lci.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
grobin said:
Not being adversarial but how? There are two kinds I'm aware of; a port that lets you see that a cartridge is chambered (I don't see a need to worry about this) or a mechanical indicator. There are a number of different styles of the later. I don't see any probable failure modes but don't see a way to eliminate the lci.
I don't know of any current commercial lci eliminators for the SR series but, IIRC, Galloway Precision used to sell what was basically the factory lci with the lifter tab ground off so it did nothing but fill the slot at the top of the slide. I suppose you could modify your lci the same way. Drive out the roll pin, grind the lci bottom flat and replace the modified lci and pin.

Apex Tactical sells modified lci's for the current S&W M&P 2.0 and Shield semi's that offer either a lower profile or a zero profile.