Why hammer fired?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Conservative said:
Honestly, hammer fired firearms are things quickly disappearing into the rear view mirror.

Do they work?

Sure, but so do bi-planes, flintlocks, buggy whips and so on.

Striker fired is here to stay.

I would definitely not equate hammer fired to flintlocks and biplanes. I like striker fired guns for certain applications. Hammer fired have several advantages over striker for other applications and I don't believe they will be going away anytime soon. Heck, look at revolvers and lever guns. Both of them still enjoy a strong following.

Conservative

Blackhawk
Clovishound,

I'm just playing.

I've buddy whose a died in the wool 1911 fan, so we both tease each other about modern guns vs guns designed over a century ago.

I love shooting 1911's, but in my experience they've not been as dependable as say Glock, but sadly Glock isn't impervious to failure either...

Thel

Blackhawk
I think hammer fired guns will be around for quite a while yet. Most H&Ks are hammer fired and a lot of Sigs. Revolvers were supposed to be "dead" decades ago but they aren't. What is nice is having a choice.

micro

Bearcat
I own both, hammer and striker, but my favorite is still DA/SA hammer fired for sure for EDC.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Boge said:
Glocks are the most reliable pistol on Earth as well as a host of other striker fired handguns, e.g., SIG P320, H&K VP9, etc.

If you believe Glock ad copy. Pure marketing-fabricated BS.

Use Google or any search engine and learn the facts. https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=gj5mWtTzBtGojwPm9a_IAg&q=catastrophic+glock+failures+glock&oq=catastrophic+glock+failures+glock&gs_l=psy-ab.3...20373.22404.0.22855.6.6.0.0.0.0.130.754.0j6.6.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.gfVeUCVTamU

A machine is a machine, and don't overloook the fact Glock (the company) was built on a criminal empire and marketing a $350+ pistol that cost $60 to build and package. The design is not annoited by the creator, and catastrophic failures happen. Glock pistols are reliable as heck, as long as they sleep in the safe or a sock drawer.

Glad that is settled. But YMMV.

grobin

Blackhawk
I hate to say this but your unsupported allegations fail to prove your assertion. So I defy the allegator! Your link points to a bunch of photos without providence. Several of the posts that provide any analsys blame faulty handloads or aftermarket mods. I didn't drink the Glock coolaid, but an unused device has no reliability associated. This is a classic way to lie with statistics; like auto accidents per year instead of per mile.

I'm not aware of any public source for firearms reliably! I'm sure that the insurance companies and litigation support firms (even the feds) have them, but try to get the data.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Common sense. I opine and reply, its not my job to provide education nor "providence" as you call it. I think you meant to say "provenance", but that would not apply to this topic anyway.

Be very careful when you call some one a liar...

Glock pistols are not the "most reliable pistols on Earth", that much is fact. Talk to a busy pistolsmith or PD armorer. BTW, we sold most Glock pistols to cops and gangbangers. They love 'em. - I heard someone say a Glock pistol will float in. Try it someday!

grobin

Blackhawk
I did not intend to imply that you were lying just that you chose a unfortunate statistical fallacy to support your assertion. Yes I meant provenance. Where did this stuff come from?

I agree that the that Glock's silly assertion that they are "most reliable pistols on Earth" is obvious unsupported BS. As for using a gunsmith or even a given LEO, that's meaningless. Yes it would possibly conclusive if several thousand could be asked and provided real information. Not just "...well we heard..." or " ... we haven't had much trouble". How many pistols of what make of how many over how long have had problems?

Everyone needs to be skeptical of any unsupported assertions particularly in the 'mainstream media' but also on the 'net!

mohavesam

Hawkeye
The ridiculous statement above that "GLock pistols are the most reliable on Earth" Is ad copy only. A simple search for failures yields 19000+ results, and pictures tell it best. They are ammo sensitive and do not support the case, which gives a high probability and history of catastrophic (injury-potential) failures when the case head blows out. The use of lead bullets also provides fouling which can rapidly increase pressures to very dangerous levels. Friends dont let friends shoot guns with unsupported chambers.

Again, talk with a department armorer or a busy pistolsmith for real-life experience as-opposed to barstool opinion.

hstrawn

Bearcat
Just joined this forum--just bought a Security-9 yesterday. It appear that a lot of the comments made on this topic were made by those who haven't yet held this firearm. My views are based on my initial perceptions of this new pistol, I haven't had a chance to yet visit the range but am looking forward to that day. Hammer/Striker? I don't care. I own both in other handguns. My initial reaction to this pistol is that I think I'm going to really like it (if it shoots as I expect it will). I have two LCP IIs and primarily bought this handgun as it has the same trigger as the IIs. I am initially impressed as to the ease of racking in comparison to my S&W Shield--quite a bit easier. Only interesting issue at this point is that the recoil/slide return return spring is a lose fit--will fall out on its own when you remove the slide but it doesn't rattle around when assembled--just barely puts compression on the spring but not enough to hold it securely. Consequently I need to, at this point, reassemble the pistol while holding it upside down. Not a problem but I just find this interesting and it may change after running a few rounds. The pistol also fits my S&W M&P 9mm Fobus holster saving me having to buy another. 2 magazines is another bonus and I'm impressed with the sight picture and also the fact that both front and rear sights are drift adjustable and can be removed without special tools. I paid the premium price of $349, not wanting to wait for a price drop ($299 online but needing to pay shipping and registration fees) and I could find only one store in the area that even had the Security-9; that being Bass Pro Shops. Sorry--this is too long. I'll report back after my range visit; won't be for a couple weeks though because we'll be cruising the Caribbean and I don't believe they will allow me to test it out on board! Thanks to Hickok45 for his youtube video which originally convinced me I needed to buy this gun (and will probably replace my S&Ws.

exavid

Hunter
I wasn't sure about striker fired pistols awhile back but after several years I've ended up with my only hammer fired pistol is my Buckmark Target pistol. I have a S&W M&P .45, Ruger SR40C, LC9pro and LCPII all striker fired. They have never caused me a problem and all have good triggers. The SR40C has the best trigger of the bunch while the M&P has a good but heavy trigger. All have been 100% reliable and shoot well for me.
The only problem I had with with the S&W. It had a slight ridge of mold flash under the beaver tail which made it decidedly uncomfortable to shoot. I polished it smooth, after which the gun was comfortable to shoot.
Even though I'm a certified geezer who was brought up with steel hammer fired pistols these modern guns have convinced me that polymer guns can be very good as well. Lighter which is nice, thinner which is good for carrying, and less to corrode. Once in a while an old dog can learn a new trick.

hstrawn

Bearcat
Per my earlier post, after messing around with my S-9 a bit, the recoil/slide return spring now DOES fit firmly as its supposed to. Figured/hoped it would; and did. As Emily Latella would have said, "Never Mind"....

Mike J

Hunter
hstrawn said:
Per my earlier post, after messing around with my S-9 a bit, the recoil/slide return spring now DOES fit firmly as its supposed to. Figured/hoped it would; and did. As Emily Latella would have said, "Never Mind"....

Glad to learn that it sorted itself out.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
hstrawn said:
Just joined this forum--just bought a Security-9 yesterday. It appear that a lot of the comments made on this topic were made by those who haven't yet held this firearm. My views are based on my initial perceptions of this new pistol, I haven't had a chance to yet visit the range but am looking forward to that day. Hammer/Striker? I don't care. I own both in other handguns. My initial reaction to this pistol is that I think I'm going to really like it (if it shoots as I expect it will). I have two LCP IIs and primarily bought this handgun as it has the same trigger as the IIs. I am initially impressed as to the ease of racking in comparison to my S&W Shield--quite a bit easier. Only interesting issue at this point is that the recoil/slide return return spring is a lose fit--will fall out on its own when you remove the slide but it doesn't rattle around when assembled--just barely puts compression on the spring but not enough to hold it securely. Consequently I need to, at this point, reassemble the pistol while holding it upside down. Not a problem but I just find this interesting and it may change after running a few rounds. The pistol also fits my S&W M&P 9mm Fobus holster saving me having to buy another. 2 magazines is another bonus and I'm impressed with the sight picture and also the fact that both front and rear sights are drift adjustable and can be removed without special tools. I paid the premium price of $349, not wanting to wait for a price drop ($299 online but needing to pay shipping and registration fees) and I could find only one store in the area that even had the Security-9; that being Bass Pro Shops. Sorry--this is too long. I'll report back after my range visit; won't be for a couple weeks though because we'll be cruising the Caribbean and I don't believe they will allow me to test it out on board! Thanks to Hickok45 for his youtube video which originally convinced me I needed to buy this gun (and will probably replace my S&Ws.

Don't know, but Galloway Precision may have a captured spring kit by now, that will fit the Security 9. I know they have a kit for other models.

https://gallowayprecision.com/ruger/

Latest posts