Not Exactly Fun To Shoot My LC9S

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Conservative

Blackhawk
It's so snappish, yesterday one of the guys at a range I'm a member of stopped to ask me if I was shooting a 45. Yes, I have my own range in my back yard, but my closest neighbors are having a lot of Christmas visitors. So I thought I wouldn't bang away at home as a courtesy as most of the time when I shoot at home it's during the work week and after 10:00 A.M. That way my blasting doesn't bother anyone, though none would complain even if they were at home...we're ALL gun people.

On to my point: This LC9S IS a sub-compact shooting a relatively large round in a quite diminutive gun. So, it's going to be snappy. I accept that.

What I didn't appreciate is how much the trigger pinches (yeah, yeah, I know Mr. Wimp complains...) no problem, I just put on a shooting glove.

But, man, ya gotta be real careful aiming, if even vaguely imprecise in aiming, I'll be waaaaaaay off the intended target.

I hope to get better by making my sights more see-able if you will by painting them.

We'll see...

My Ruger SP 101 is much easier to shoot accurately, along with G19. This LC9S is a bear to shoot accurately, so much so I hope if I ever to defend myself I can do so effectively...

Mike J

Hunter
I don't have a LC9s but I do have a 9mm pocket gun. It is a Kahr CM9. It is definitely harder to shoot well than a larger gun. I can do okay out to about 15 yards. To be honest I haven't tried to do much past that with it. Most of the time if at all possible I carry something larger. I do like having the option of having a pocket pistol though.

I agree with the snap... basically not a fun gun to shoot but never had a problem with it pinching my finger and the dern thing was very accurate by my standards.... what I learned last month, again, is even us veteran shooters that are pretty dern good can always use someone else watching a critiquing on occasion.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
@ Conservative: These little guns are belly guns, not distance shooters. I'd suggest you ignore the sights, practice one handed draw and fire from the waist at no more than 10 feet, because if you have to use it in real life you ain't gonna have time to do anything else.

GunnyGene said:
@ Conservative: These little guns are belly guns, not distance shooters. I'd suggest you ignore the sights, practice one handed draw and fire from the waist at no more than 10 feet, because if you have to use it in real life you ain't gonna have time to do anything else.

Just tell the bad guys to get closer! :roll:

DGW1949

Hunter
Let's see...We're experiencing 'snappy recoil' from a light weight gun firing a full power cartridge...

Yep, simple physics at work. Ain't no getting around that...

just sayin'.

DGW

s4s4u

Hunter
I don't own an LC9s but did rent one at a range when my daughter was researching her new CC choice and didn't find it particularly uncomfortable and we had no problem hitting center mass as 7 yards. It is far more shooter friendly than my LCRx 38+P. As was said, it is physics.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I looked at an LC9 years ago when shopping for a CC gun. It felt great in the hand, was small and light, easy to conceal. I was excited about it. Then I rented one. The darn thing felt like it was going to fly out of my hands and over my shoulder. I tried the SR9c and found it to be very comfortable, easy to shoot, and reasonably accurate. That is what I ended up with. I don't mind the extra size and weight to carry in return for a more comfortable gun to shoot.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Conservative said:
GunnyGene,

That's good advice.

I'll practice using your method.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with bullseye practice at longer ranges either. But the concept is the same as having a tool box. You should have a variety of tools in it and the skills to use each one. :)

For example, if you get knocked on your butt can you draw and fire from the ground or would you try to get up first? Point is that it's wise to practice worst case scenarios if possible, but I'd caution against doing so with a loaded gun. :)

Here's one of dozens of videos on shooting from retention. Watch them with a critical eye, because some of them are less than helpful. If you can sign up for a class or 2 with a reputable instructor you should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1qKWkGM2DY

Rei40c

Blackhawk
GunnyGene said:
Conservative said:
GunnyGene,
For example, if you get knocked on your butt can you draw and fire from the ground or would you try to get up first? Point is that it's wise to practice worst case scenarios if possible, but I'd caution against doing so with a loaded gun. :)

In all the shooting I've ever done I've never practiced firing from any position other than standing with the pistol. The state trooper who came to speak at my ccw class said he'd fired his weapon twice in the course of about 20 years. Neither time was he standing on his feet. By that time the fight had already gone to the ground.

The LC9s is not intended or should not be sold as 'fun to shoot'.... in fact for it's intended function that will probably be the least fun you will ever have.... As with any carry gun, one does need to practice with it but I don't think hundreds of rounds are needed.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
What kind of ammo are you shooting? Even within basic ball ammo there can be a wide variety of recoil level. In my experience, European ammo such as Fiocchi and S&B tends to have more velocity and recoil than domestic stuff.

DGW1949

Hunter
FergusonTO35 said:
What kind of ammo are you shooting? Even within basic ball ammo there can be a wide variety of recoil level. In my experience, European ammo such as Fiocchi and S&B tends to have more velocity and recoil than domestic stuff.

True that.
US 9MM ammo is (or at least should be) made to US (SAAMI) specs, European 9MM ammo is made to European specs, and 9MM-NATO ammo is made to military specs.
It may all look the same, but as you have pointed out, it certainly is not. Fact is, on the extreme end of the scale, 9MM-NATO and some brands of European ball rank right up there with SAAMI 9MM+P.

DGW

Clovishound

Blackhawk
blume357 said:
The LC9s is not intended or should not be sold as 'fun to shoot'.... in fact for it's intended function that will probably be the least fun you will ever have.... As with any carry gun, one does need to practice with it but I don't think hundreds of rounds are needed.

I'm of the opinion that your carry gun should be something that is not a chore to practice with. If it is a chore, you may only take it to the range once or twice a year. Maybe even less. When I got my first CC gun, I only had a .22 target pistol to my name. I had qualified with .38 and 9mm many times in the military, but never spent much time at the range with a centerfire. I always shot well during my quals, but just never had the opportunity to shoot a centerfire that much. When I got my SR9c, I ended up spending a lot of time at the range with it the first year. Somewhere around the 1,000 round count with it, things felt different. I wasn't necessarily more accurate with it, but it felt different. More comfortable, more a natural process to pick it up, thumb off the safety, aim and fire. I felt like this was a desirable thing for a carry gun. When my daughter was looking for a carry gun, I advised that she get something she would be willing to spend some quality time at the range with. You don't necessarily need to get a full sized, heavy gun with target grips and a target pull, but it should be comfortable enough that you will actually practice with it from time to time. Adjustments and compromises can be made for carrying a mid sized gun.

FYI, she ended up with an SP101 in a 3" barrel. Not the best range gun, but she doesn't mind putting 25 - 50 rounds through it every range trip. She should have no problem qualifying for her CC permit, and I have no qualms about her competence with it for carry. I doubt she would be as willing to practice with a 2" J frame alloy wheel gun. Nor would she be as competent with it.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Clovishound said:
blume357 said:

I'm of the opinion that your carry gun should be something that is not a chore to practice with. If it is a chore, you may only take it to the range once or twice a year. Maybe even less. When I got my first CC gun, I only had a .22 target pistol to my name. I had qualified with .38 and 9mm many times in the military, but never spent much time at the range with a centerfire. I always shot well during my quals, but just never had the opportunity to shoot a centerfire that much. When I got my SR9c, I ended up spending a lot of time at the range with it the first year. Somewhere around the 1,000 round count with it, things felt different. I wasn't necessarily more accurate with it, but it felt different. More comfortable, more a natural process to pick it up, thumb off the safety, aim and fire. I felt like this was a desirable thing for a carry gun. When my daughter was looking for a carry gun, I advised that she get something she would be willing to spend some quality time at the range with. You don't necessarily need to get a full sized, heavy gun with target grips and a target pull, but it should be comfortable enough that you will actually practice with it from time to time. Adjustments and compromises can be made for carrying a mid sized gun.

FYI, she ended up with an SP101 in a 3" barrel. Not the best range gun, but she doesn't mind putting 25 - 50 rounds through it every range trip. She should have no problem qualifying for her CC permit, and I have no qualms about her competence with it for carry. I doubt she would be as willing to practice with a 2" J frame alloy wheel gun. Nor would she be as competent with it.

Well spoken. 95% of the time my carry gun is a snub .38 revolver or mid-size .380 auto. Powerhouses they are not, but I practice with them alot and know the guns and ammo are very reliable. I know for a fact I can shoot these little guns better than many cops and soldiers can shoot their issued guns.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Well, cops and military are not hired on their marksmanship ability. They are trained afterwards. Some are very good, others, not so much. There are a few cops I see at the range that I honestly hope never have to protect themselves or someone else with their gun. We had a few folks in my squadron that rarely made their annual qualification the first time around. Ironically, one of the worst was the one that always talked guns before the class. Every time he failed to qualify, it was always the gun's fault, or some other issue.

Conservative

Blackhawk
I just now re-visited this thread.

To answer the question about ammo: I was using Blazer 115 gr. FMJ's.

I think I may try some 147 grain ammo as I understand it may...may not be as snappy.