Not Exactly Fun To Shoot My LC9S

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Conservative said:
I just now re-visited this thread.

To answer the question about ammo: I was using Blazer 115 gr. FMJ's.

I think I may try some 147 grain ammo as I understand it may...may not be as snappy.

I'm positive I've seen a brand years ago that offered a purpose build light recoiling round for range use but for the life of me I can't remember the name of the company. If I recall correctly they advertised something like %30-%40 less recoil. There was no magic behind it they simply put in less powder.

If Hornady made something like this only in range ammo that would be perfect. But using xtp bullets and coming in at $18 per box it's hardly range ammo... unless you are super rich. :lol:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016138492/hornady-critical-defense-lite-ammunition-9mm-luger-100-grain-flex-tip-expanding-box-of-25

Conservative

Blackhawk
Rei40c,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll talk to Midwayuse and see what they might carry in lower power 9mm.

Usually, I buy my range ammo in bulk for SGA, so I'll talk to them too.

Buying 1000+ rounds at a time really brings down the overall cost vs full retail from say Cabelas/Walmart/Academy here in Texas.

I've only got 500 rounds of Blazer 115 gr, fmj's 9mm left, which I can use in my G19 or 9mm carbine.

They work just fine in my heavier firearms, but are rather daunting when I shoot in my LC9S. Plus, when I shoot I like to shoot at least a couple hundred rounds per outing. Shooting less makes cleaning the firearm seem sorta not worth it. I guess it's a variation of go big or go home round count...kinda, sorta....

cpaspr

Bearcat
Clovishound said:
I'm of the opinion that your carry gun should be something that is not a chore to practice with. If it is a chore, you may only take it to the range once or twice a year. Maybe even less. When I got my first CC gun, I only had a .22 target pistol to my name. I had qualified with .38 and 9mm many times in the military, but never spent much time at the range with a centerfire. I always shot well during my quals, but just never had the opportunity to shoot a centerfire that much. When I got my SR9c, I ended up spending a lot of time at the range with it the first year. Somewhere around the 1,000 round count with it, things felt different. I wasn't necessarily more accurate with it, but it felt different. More comfortable, more a natural process to pick it up, thumb off the safety, aim and fire. I felt like this was a desirable thing for a carry gun. When my daughter was looking for a carry gun, I advised that she get something she would be willing to spend some quality time at the range with. You don't necessarily need to get a full sized, heavy gun with target grips and a target pull, but it should be comfortable enough that you will actually practice with it from time to time. Adjustments and compromises can be made for carrying a mid sized gun.

FYI, she ended up with an SP101 in a 3" barrel. Not the best range gun, but she doesn't mind putting 25 - 50 rounds through it every range trip. She should have no problem qualifying for her CC permit, and I have no qualms about her competence with it for carry. I doubt she would be as willing to practice with a 2" J frame alloy wheel gun. Nor would she be as competent with it.

My primary carry gun is a Ruger LCR-357. Loaded with Speer .38 Special Gold Dots for carry purposes, but I regularly practice with it. I use it frequently at bowling pin shoots (12 yards) and have fired many rounds at steel plates at 55 yards. With a roughly 12"x18" plate, I could usually hit 1 out of 5 one-handed or 2 out of 5 two handed. And the misses weren't by much. Now, that may not sound that great, but remember, it's a double-action only revolver with a 1-7/8" barrel. At one of our bowling pin shoots last year one of the members set a pin out on the 55 yard berm. I barely missed low left and low right on the first two shots and knocked it down with the third. Practice doesn't make perfect, but good practice can make pretty darned accurate, regardless of platform, assuming a good quality firearm.

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
GunnyGene said:
@ Conservative: These little guns are belly guns, not distance shooters. I'd suggest you ignore the sights, practice one handed draw and fire from the waist at no more than 10 feet, because if you have to use it in real life you ain't gonna have time to do anything else.

Gunny,
What you said!
Blackie

Conservative

Blackhawk
blume357,

Good one!

Yeah, I learned about 'retention shooting' while taking an NRA gun fighting class, but we learned to do it close up, not 10 feet away, but I'll work on that starting from close up and gradually adding distance.

blue2golf

Bearcat
I've found my LC9s to be an easy, accurate shooter. I'll put a 50 round box through it...no combat pistol course but enough to check accuracy and reliability. Never had a jam and it rides comfortably in an Uncle Mike's #3 pocket holster in my front right pocket, summer or winter carry. Good enough for me.

Sorry to hear they've discontinued it.

Actually, I took a one day class at the Sig Academy last June on Distance shooting with a pistol... we ended up shooting at steel silhouette targets out at 120 yards.... I could hit it with my Sig P226 about half the time... I think it was my grip and squeezing the grip... because my misses were constantly to the left. Buddy taking the class is a 1911 guy and retired marine gunny... he borrowed a 1911 from Sig and was tagging that damn target just about every time. I think the drop on a 45acp at that distance is close to 2ft. It was fun to 'lob' a round at that distance and have to wait to hear if you hit the target.

teuthis

Single-Sixer
Shooting the LC9, or any compact handgun is just a matter of learning how. The purpose of these firearms are for concealed carry and self protection. In that realm they are fun to shoot; learning to shoot them and use them.

fowler.j.12

Bearcat
Have you tried adjusting your grip? I have an LC9S and shoot it rather regularly and have a lot of fun with it with various ammo types including self defense ammunition since it is my primary carry firearm. My hands are small and I understand the gun is definitely biased towards smaller hands as most single stack 9mms are. For example my grip is strong hand up as high as I can on the gun and my support wrapped around the front of strong hands fingers with my support thumb riding the frame ridge as much as I can.

My other thought is that how are you shooting it? It's not a long range gun. Ringing steel at 100 yards is not it's purpose. I do a lot of tight close quarters draw shoot drills and reload drills at under 5-15 yards. Working on draw and presentation and getting a clear sight picture on the first shot is my purpose with this firearm.

Xsales

Buckeye
An option is add a Houge Handall Grip Sleeve

1) Cushions the recoil
2) Adds a wonderful non slip grip
3) Adds length of pull by pushing back your hand a little

Added this on mine - zero issue shooting

Conservative

Blackhawk
I agree with of all and thank you for your input. Much appreciated.

One of the first things I did to my Ruger LC9S was to install a Hogue Handall grip. And I'll soon be painting the sights with "glow on" florescent paint. Old eyes need help when retention shotl aren't quite the thing...

I shoot at close quarters drills. I also do retention shots. An LC9S isn't a bullseye shooter. I have other guns for that...

My LC9S is my yard gun. It's light and carries a wallop. I have a large yard with lots trees, fencing, and well lots of work with mowing, pruning, edging, and on and on. There was a time in life when I would've laughed at anyone suggesting I needed to be armed in my own yard. Those days are gone. So, I bought this particular piece as it's light, dependable and I have a fully loaded spare mag for it. Plus, I carry a knife that would make "Crocodile Dundee" blanch...

I'm still working on finding the (elusive so far) sweet spot that tells me when the striker will hit the primer. I can do it with my Glock 19 which has a 3.5 connector.

I'm not complaining about this gun, just still working with it.

Heck, yesterday I bought a 1000 rounds of Speer lawman 147 grain TMG's for practice rounds and 150 147 Federal HST JHP's for self defense rounds. I'm changing out my self defense Speer 124 gr, Jhp's as some recent tests showed some of them to be inconsistent when fired through ballistic gelatin, a few going over 32" before stopping.

micro

Bearcat
I am very surprised to hear this. I've never considered mine not fun to shoot. It's a little snappy but no more than I would expect for such a small gun in 9mm. But, I only shoot 115 grain regular load so that might be why.