Ruger Security 9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Picked up a Security 9 today at a local FFL, $285.00 OTD (NH has NO sales tax and dealers do NOT charge transfer fees when buying their inventory).

Feels good in the hands, trigger is smooth, a little long but has an audible reset.

The manual is dated 6/17 that I received with my pistol in the box, the Ruger.com online manual is dated 11/17, R1 for first revision - for the collectors amongst us.

I like it, especially for the price...

YMMV

djw54

Single-Sixer
Handled a couple yesterday. Good, solid, basic pistol. Feels good in the hand, nice and grippy. I like the trigger, with its short double action feel. One thing to note that is very different from my striker guns (RAP and M&P), is that the slide has to be racked much further to reset the trigger. Obviously not a problem while firing, but while dry-firing it feels like it's locked up if you short stroke it.
I might pick one up eventually, but the two dealers I visited yesterday wanted 350 and 360, and I'm not in much of a hurry on this.

hittman

Staff member
Local store has a Security 9. S/N is 381-05163.
I'm not much of a semi-auto guy but must say it fit my hand very nicely. Priced at $305.00 seemed reasonable enough.

Houstonxd40

Bearcat
171 rounds fired through the Security 9. Impressions.

Shoots to the front dot for me. Had to drift sight to right a bit. I like red front dot and no outline so I have painted the front sight and blackened the back sight.

I also have widened out the notch of the rear sight with a file. If, after shooting, I realize it is too wide no big deal. Sights are pretty cheap at 10 bucks a set.

I like a wider notch than most come with. One exception is the Ruger 9E. The 9E has the best rear notch to front sight relationship of any I've picked up to date.

Had two light hits on primers, same ammunition Tula 9 steel case.

No issues at all with Winchester White box or Remington 115 gr range ammunition.

1/23

60 additional rounds of remington umc. Adjusted rear sight for windage and filed a small amount of rear sight for elevation lowering impact. Working for me now with sight adjustments. No issues with the the magazines or ammo.

hstrawn

Bearcat
New member, new S9 as of yesterday. Haven't fired it yet but so far like it! Trigger feels great--very smooth. Same as my LCP IIs and I really like them. Hope it shoots as well as it should. Think I'm going to like the sights, and two mags is a bonus, as well it fits my M&P 9m Fobus holster. Feels very comfortable in my hand; I really like the size--but firing it will tell the whole story. One question--my slide return/recoil spring doesn't fit tight when disassembled. It will fall out on its own when turned upside down; but is snug enough that it doesn't rattle around. I need to reassemble the slide with the gun upside down--not a big issue--and may tighten up with use. Just curious. Range update in a couple weeks--we'll be cruising the Caribbean for and as I said on another thread, I don't believe they will let my try it out onboard.

welder

Buckeye
Handled one today at my LGS, pointed well for me and fit my hand even better. I'm gonna keep an eye on this gun and if it shows no teething problems I'll be picking one up. It would be my first Ruger SA since they axed the "P" series. Price was 289.00 I believe. Somehow the gun looked better in person than the pictures represent.

hstrawn

Bearcat
Per my earlier post regarding the lose slide return/recoil spring, after a bit of messing around and cycling the slide the spring assembly now DOES fit firmly as it should. Hoped/Figured it would and now it does. As mentioned on another thread: as Emily Latella would have said: "Never Mind".

RUGERFANTASTIC

Bearcat
New here to this forum.Active shooter knowledge,experience etc. recently bought the Ruger Nine Security,before I start I have ccw Glock 19s for over 30 years.My Ruger experience is 200 rounds thru the new gun no FTFs or FTEs.Accuracy is 3-4 inch grouping at 7 yards dead on target.I like the trigger better than my glocks,the grip is smaller making for a better grip for me.And the Glock style sights are great.Only thing I would change is the squareing off of the trigger guard being used to that glock style,but the gun cost me out the door $ 304 in N E PA.

WestTex

Single-Sixer
Got one yesterday, and am thrilled.

Much better all around than I expected.

Gotta believe a SEC 9 Compact is already on its way to production line.

IF, at this price, they can meet demand for the full size.

greyrush

Bearcat
Houstonxd40 said:
No issues at all with Winchester White box or Remington 115 gr range ammunition.

Picked-up my Security9 yesterday and went to the range today, 140 rds total. Used mostly Winchester white box 9mm 115gr. with no issues. Also put 10 rds of Sig Sauer V-Crown 115gr jhp thru - no problems. 10 rds of Sig V-Crown 147gr. - no problems. And then I tried the Remington 115gr. .... yikes. With 2 mags worth I had 6 FTEs! No more Remington is going in the Sec9, that was ridiculous.

But the gun seems to do exactly what the shooter can do with it. You want to get lazy? It'll spread the group around. You want to concentrate on placement? It'll group pretty tight. I'm happy with it, it will make a good choice for CC.

Here's my best showing, somewhere around 21 ft.

JCUsRh9.jpg