SR9C Magazine extension

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fowler.j.12

Bearcat
Hello,
I have used the forums quite a bit here but just decided to create an account. I am looking for magazine extensions for the 10 round magazines shipped with the SR9C. I have read over various sites that a S&W M&P basepad is generally the same and you can make it work. Has anyone tried this with a +4/+5 extension? In specific the Taran Tactical basepads, because they use the stock spring and seem to made of the highest quality materials. If you have had experience with these or have tried a different base please let me know how you feel about them.

Thanks, Jake

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Unless you live in a restricted magazine capacity state, the 17 round magazines for the full size SR9 will work perfectly in your 9C and Ruger has a slip-on collar that fills up the extra length at the bottom of the gun's grip. This is by far the most reliable way to get an increased capacity magazine and will be +7 not 4 or 5.

If you do live in a restricted state, the Tartan Tactical base plate will be illegal anyway.

fowler.j.12

Bearcat
22/45 Fan said:
Unless you live in a restricted magazine capacity state, the 17 round magazines for the full size SR9 will work perfectly in your 9C and Ruger has a slip-on collar that fills up the extra length at the bottom of the gun's grip. This is by far the most reliable way to get an increased capacity magazine and will be +7 not 4 or 5.

If you do live in a restricted state, the Tartan Tactical base plate will be illegal anyway.

Free as the morning breeze NH here. I just don't enjoy the slip-on system for the SR9C. I have three 10-round magazines that I'd be more than happy converting to a 14 round and I like the feeling of extended baseplates a lot more than the slip-on system. They poke out of a magazine pouch well and have a solid grab system. I do see your point of it is just as expensive converting the 10 rounders as to buy new 17 rounds.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
I can offer my solution to easily fix the sleeve slipping on the 17 round magazine and it will only cost you the price of a small roll of electrical tape. Assuming the reason you don't like the magazine sleeve moving around as it tends to do.

1. Remove the magazine sleeve from the 17 round magazine. on the back of the magazine cut a small square of electrical tape.
2. Place the electrical tape square you cut on the back and bottom of the magazine just above the baseplate. Don't wrap the magazine with it, just place the square so it fits to cover only the bottom back of the magazine.
3. Continue to add layers placing on layer of electrical tape on top of the other building it up and test the sleeve as you slide it into place.
4. You'll feel it tighten with each layer. When you you feel the magazine sleeve not able to slide into place easily add one more square layer of electrical tape and pull it hard into place. In my case it took about 4-6 layers of tape, but you'll just have to see how yours fits.

Once in place the magazine sleeve will capture the tape leaving it no way to peel off and no where to go. It will feel like one piece and welded on once you get it into place, the little wobbles and slippage will be gone.

I did this to my sr40c 15 round magazines in 2012, 9000 rounds later not one has moved a millimeter. It can still be removed in minutes with some effort if you decided for whatever reason to take it off later.

fowler.j.12

Bearcat
Rei40c said:
I can offer my solution to easily fix the sleeve slipping on the 17 round magazine and it will only cost you the price of a small roll of electrical tape. Assuming the reason you don't like the magazine sleeve moving around as it tends to do.

1. Remove the magazine sleeve from the 17 round magazine. on the back of the magazine cut a small square of electrical tape.
2. Place the electrical tape square you cut on the back and bottom of the magazine just above the baseplate. Don't wrap the magazine with it, just place the square so it fits to cover only the bottom back of the magazine.
3. Continue to add layers placing on layer of electrical tape on top of the other building it up and test the sleeve as you slide it into place.
4. You'll feel it tighten with each layer. When you you feel the magazine sleeve not able to slide into place easily add one more square layer of electrical tape and pull it hard into place. In my case it took about 4-6 layers of tape, but you'll just have to see how yours fits.

Once in place the magazine sleeve will capture the tape leaving it no way to peel off and no where to go. It will feel like one piece and welded on once you get it into place, the little wobbles and slippage will be gone.

I did this to my sr40c 15 round magazines in 2012, 9000 rounds later not one has moved a millimeter. It can still be removed in minutes with some effort if you decided for whatever reason to take it off later.

I actually did this last night. Have not shot with it yet and am planning to go out soon enough. Hopefully I enjoy the feeling more than the slip and slide of the original setup.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I did the same tape shim to my 17 rd magazines as Rei40c described and the sleeves are rock solid with no slipping or motion. He's right, you should be quite happy with the results.