SR45

Help Support Ruger Forum:

frontstuffers

Single-Sixer
I just picked up a "new to me" SR45, all blue, in the box with all paperwork, lock, trigger lock, and test brass. Since I haven't seen much here in this forum I figured I'd ask. Anything that I need to be aware of before going to the range with this? This pistol looks like it may have been someone's safe queen, no visible wear on it at all. Was wondering if the SR45's have any quirks or history of problems? I have a SR40c, SR9c, and an SR22. Never had any problems with them and don't expect any with this one. However, you just never know until you ask.

thanks in advance for any replies.

Mr. Bill

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Don't know of any particular problems, but as with other factory pistols you can usually benefit with a couple aftermarket performance parts, since the factory defaults to low end parts such as reset bars, springs and guide rods. For example, the factory recoil spring is 18lbs, so a 20 or 22lb spring with a steel rod will improve performance. See this: https://gallowayprecision.com/ruger/lc9s/

frontstuffers

Single-Sixer
GunnyGene, that's the kind of info I was looking for. Sometimes you get warnings about ftf, fte, light hits, etc. I made the same trade out on my Taurus, recoil spring that is, and am happy with that. Blasphemy, I know. Plan on running some rounds through it before making changes. Not a big fan of the plastic rod guide and if I shoot heavy loads I usually switch out the recoil spring to one a little stouter.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
frontstuffers said:
GunnyGene, that's the kind of info I was looking for. Sometimes you get warnings about ftf, fte, light hits, etc. I made the same trade out on my Taurus, recoil spring that is, and am happy with that. Blasphemy, I know. Plan on running some rounds through it before making changes. Not a big fan of the plastic rod guide and if I shoot heavy loads I usually switch out the recoil spring to one a little stouter.

You're welcome. I put a Galloway 20lb spring and steel rod in my SR9E about a year ago, and couldn't be happier. Didn't have any issues that prompted me to switch out, but it's my carry gun, and I feed it Hornady 135gr +P, so figured a stiffer spring and steel rod was called for. I might go with one of their trigger kits eventually.

Armybrat

Buckeye
Bought mine new when they first came out in 2013. Shoots great - better than I do. Excellent value pistol that is very well made.

However, the two supplied mags won't lock back after the last round fired. Bought a 3rd factory magazine that functions perfectly. no big deal to me. Haven't changed anything in the gun, which is in my bedside table drawer:

E359_B745_698_C_4_CBE_8999_6_B545_E2684_B5.jpg

planetcat

Single-Sixer
I just sold mine for no good reason. It is a very comfortable to shoot .45 acp striker fired pistol. Reliable and smooth. You will enjoy shooting it, or not because it shoots exactly the same over and over again. :)

KYhunter

Bearcat
You might want to go on YouTube and search for Ruger Sr45 problems. You will find several videos describing lite primer strikes, ejection issues and feeding problems,s. What does seem to be common is either your pistol has them or seems it never will have these issues with various ammo good luck on your purchase. Sounds like you got a good deal.

The only thing that happened to it is the "finger" that lifts up the slide stop on a empty magazine broke after a couple of thousand
rounds. Ruger offered to send a call tag to pick it up, but I just asked for the part and replaced it.

Other than that, my SR45 has been flawless. It feeds and fires everything that I've put through it, including lead semi-wadcutters.