Full Circle - Back to LCP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MurrayNevada

Bearcat
I had one of the early LCP pistols. Didn't like the trigger and it was finicky with ammo. I went to other .380 pocket pistols and all disappointed in one way or another. My Kahr P-380 made 2 trips back to the factory and still frequently failed to return to battery. The Kel-Tec P3AT wasn't bad but was a handful to shoot. My Glock 42 is reliable but IMHP cannot be described as a comfortable pocket pistol.

I have now come back to Ruger with the purchase of an LCP II. I added the Talon rubber textured grip and a Viridian Green Laser. Great trigger and much more comfortable to shoot. Also very accurate. Most importantly it is the most reliable out of the box pocket pistol I have ever owned. I've now shot 150 consecutive rounds of the Fiocchi Extrema Ammunition 380 ACP 90 Grain Hornady XTP JHP (380XTP25) without any feeding, ejecting or firing problems. Perfect! The LCP II, loaded with seven rounds of the Fiocchi, is now my every day carry pistol. I know some believe the need to test an EDC pistol with more than 150 problem free rounds but the 150 I fired gives me complete confidence in this pistol. Happy to be back.

louchia

Single-Sixer
I also now have the LCP II as one of my EDC guns.I had trouble with the life span of the LCP . I had 4 and all developed cracked metal frame inserts or began loosing the take down pin. Thes flaws happened around 1000 rnds. I now have an LCP II with aprox. 1500 rnds. It is very reliable. Not one issue.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
MurrayNevada said:
I added the Talon rubber textured grip and a Viridian Green Laser. Great trigger and much more comfortable to shoot.

I'm a huge fan of Talon grips especially on these small framed guns. It's probably the best upgrade one can do to these guns and it's only about $15. It really does change the whole feel of the pistol and makes it easier to handle.

I think if I put a thousand rounds through my LC9s I would be in serious need of a really good hand doctor and some expensive surgery that probably would not help with the permanent damage..... nothing against any of the above mentioned pocket pistols, but as gramps said and I agree... these little pistols were not really meant to shoot that much, but to carry and use when you needed them.

Pps1980

Single-Sixer
My LCP is the original model. Never a problem, lots of ammo, great little can NOT print pocket pistol.

WMB30

Single-Sixer
Someone should tell my wife her LC9s Pro wasn't to be shot much as she has run it well beyond 10K rounds

Bill

PM9

Bearcat
I have both the LCP and a LCP II. I think the problems Ruger had with the original model was a weak recoil spring that really banged up the frame. Mine threw brass into the next county.
I recently bought the LCP from a friend that threw in a packaged Sweet Pea Trigger and 13# recoil spring and guide rod, a one round extended mag, Viridian green laser, plus a Hogue grip. The gun is a bit bigger now, but much easier to shoot and it makes a great car gun.
My LCP II is totally stock and rides in a rear pocket wallet holster.

Steelerdude1

Bearcat
I just bought my first LCP - it's the original model. It is a great EDC gun, no bulk, and I don't even know it there most of the time.

I looked at the II, but liked the size and feel of this one way better. - plus I got one hell of a deal on it. Only had it to the range once, and at 10 yards, it was shooting well. Only complaint is the take down pin worked its way out after every 5-6 rounds. I need to take it out again soon to see if that is still an issue. First time out, I shot it right from the factory, I felt it was over lubricated. Hoping that's why it worked out.

hdonlybob

Single-Sixer
The LCP is as close to a perfect pocket pistol as I have found.
Unfortunately, with my large fingers, is just is difficult to shoot with it's small trigger guard, so I have switched to a Brand X..
Cheers,
HD

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Interestingly, I am going full circle back to the Kel-Tec P32. I have an LCP I and it is a good little gun. I just don't shoot it as well as the little P32 and honestly I think the .32 Auto is a much better cartridge for a gun of this size. I'm set up to cast bullets and reload for it so I can make my ammo as mild or wild as I want it to be.

GunSlut

Bearcat
I just bought an LCP II. I've been carrying a Taurus TCP. The TCP is reliable after I filed off the last round hold back tab which would activate intermittently before the last round. I bought the LCP II because of the trigger and sights which are much better than the Taurus. I'm headed to the range today to put a few boxes of rounds through it.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
blume357 said:
I think if I put a thousand rounds through my LC9s I would be in serious need of a really good hand doctor and some expensive surgery that probably would not help with the permanent damage..... nothing against any of the above mentioned pocket pistols, but as gramps said and I agree... these little pistols were not really meant to shoot that much, but to carry and use when you needed them.

+1.

tookalisten

Blackhawk
I too have one of the original LCPs and it is definitely the easiest carry gun I own. I have never been able to hit anything with it at much distance; but then it really is not meant for that either. Though, I do find the Sig P238 to be very accurate and I carry it more often as a result. However, the LCP is definitely an easier pocket carry. I never plan to get rid of it.