P95 fail to feed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Shoeless Joe

Bearcat
I have a P95 which I bought a few years ago, not that long ago, but it was the last year for them, I believe.
It has been my carry companion for all that time and has never failed me on the range until now. A couple of days ago I went out to shoot a new .22 rifle as well as my trusty 10/22. While at the range I always cycle one of my carry guns just to make sure all is well. This time it was my P95. To my horror, I had to manually cycle every shot! No stovepipes or failure to eject, but the next round on the stack would not chamber. I had bought a new box of federal fmj, but I could not think that all rounds were defective. I loaded some of my PD ammo with the same results, so I think Federal is off the hook. I suspect the magazine may be the problem (weak spring?). I did not think, nor did I have time, to insert my other loaded mag, so I cannot be sure if that is the problem. Won't be able to get back to the range again for a while in order to check.

Anyone else had a similar problem? I hope it is as simple as a bad mag spring.

I am trying to find replacement springs, but Wolff gunsprings does not list a spring for P95 (I need double stack.

I hate the thought that my P95 might fail me in a pinch. It is my favorite carry piece (if I don't count my Mauser HSC .380 or my Colt 1911).

roylt

Hunter
Plenty of new mags on the market but range time is needed for sure.

Best to only go with Ruger or at least Metgar mags.... just to comment.... I can't imagine only having two magazines for a Ruger P95.... but then I have a few.... if all else fails... I could probably let a 10 rounder go ....

Shoeless Joe

Bearcat
If I have to buy new mags I will of course go with Ruger. I think Wolff has springs for my P95, but I will have to confirm with them if they are for the double-stack. I can get 3 new springs for 1/2 a mag. Better for me right now.

Thanks for the input from all.

johnnyreloader

Bearcat
Shoeless Joe said:
If I have to buy new mags I will of course go with Ruger. I think Wolff has springs for my P95, but I will have to confirm with them if they are for the double-stack. I can get 3 new springs for 1/2 a mag. Better for me right now.

Thanks for the input from all.
Save your money on magazines, don't pay for the 'Ruger' name.
MecGar magazines ARE Ruger magazines.

A couple of things to consider here. Going forward if you have a 15 round magazine, load it with 14. Puts less stress on the mag spring when compressed for long periods of time. Secondly, have an extra mag in your inventory that is unloaded. Rotate this mag with your other mags on a regular basis. My P95 gets a mag rotation every month or so. After a month, I empty that mag and rotate in another mag. Has worked well for me over the years. Just my experience.

Dave

Three50seven

Buckeye
Like others have said, it's most likely the mag. Also, give it a good thorough cleaning. If it's been your EDC for some time, it most likely has accumulated a fair amount of dust/lint/gunk over time. It's not often you hear of a P series gun failing in any form.