Pachmayr grip glove opinions?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Anybody tried out the Pachmayr tactical grip glove? The one with the finger grooves. Thinking about one for my 9E and wondering about durability, fit, etc.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/pachmayr/handgun-grips/semi-auto-grips/tactical-grip-gloves.html

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I just took mine off of my 9E. I prefer the standard grip. It was fairly comfortable but I found it to be "slippery" in the hand sometimes and would rather have the factory serrations on the grip to keep my hands from moving around.

As for durability, it held up just fine after about a year on my pistol. It is a bit hard to get on the grip but it needs to be tight in order for it to stay in place.

I don't really have any plans on putting it back on so if you're interested shoot me a PM if you want one for a low price.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
rammerjammer said:
I just took mine off of my 9E. I prefer the standard grip. It was fairly comfortable but I found it to be "slippery" in the hand sometimes and would rather have the factory serrations on the grip to keep my hands from moving around.

As for durability, it held up just fine after about a year on my pistol. It is a bit hard to get on the grip but it needs to be tight in order for it to stay in place.

I don't really have any plans on putting it back on so if you're interested shoot me a PM if you want one for a low price.

Thanks much for the info. They're only about $10 new, so I'll probably just add one to my wife's Amazon list eventually. :)

roylt

Hunter
I think you can get the Hogue one at Walmart for about 6 bucks. I use those on my glocks and old P95.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
I've tried both Pachmayr grips and Hogue. I liked them until I had a few longer duration firing sessions. After 150-200 rounds the heat from your hand, and the gun will loosen the fit. Causing it to slide further and further down the grip under the recoil of each shot. It was common for this slippage to extend far enough downwards that the bottom edges of the grips extended well beyond the magazine well. This could cause interference with reloading magazines.

The grip can be readjusted but sliding the grip back into place is very difficult to accomplish without flagging other shooters if you are on a public range. It's an awkward movement getting it back into place.

I took mine off and I don't believe i'll ever buy another one.

roylt

Hunter
Good point. I do have some sleeved guns but my main shooters are not.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Rei40c said:
I've tried both Pachmayr grips and Hogue. I liked them until I had a few longer duration firing sessions. After 150-200 rounds the heat from your hand, and the gun will loosen the fit. Causing it to slide further and further down the grip under the recoil of each shot. It was common for this slippage to extend far enough downwards that the bottom edges of the grips extended well beyond the magazine well. This could cause interference with reloading magazines.

The grip can be readjusted but sliding the grip back into place is very difficult to accomplish without flagging other shooters if you are on a public range. It's an awkward movement getting it back into place.

I took mine off and I don't believe i'll ever buy another one.

I'll keep that in mind. :) I figure for $11 it's worth trying out, so ordered a Pachmayr a couple days ago.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
GunnyGene said:
I'll keep that in mind. :) I figure for $11 it's worth trying out, so ordered a Pachmayr a couple days ago.

Yep, for 10 bucks why not. I'm sure there's some variation in them maybe I just got some made too loose. I did like the grips if they had stayed put.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Rei40c said:
GunnyGene said:

Yep, for 10 bucks why not. I'm sure there's some variation in them maybe I just got some made too loose. I did like the grips if they had stayed put.

Got my grip glove from Pachmayr today. Not too difficult to put on, no interference with controls or with either holster I have. I think I like it, just doing a little dry fire with it. We'll see how I like it in a day or so with live ammo. It don't look too bad, but I'm not concerned with looks with this gun. :)

QSibZjW.jpg

Rei40c

Blackhawk
GunnyGene said:
Rei40c said:
GunnyGene said:

Got my grip glove from Pachmayr today. Not too difficult to put on, no interference with controls or with either holster I have. I think I like it, just doing a little dry fire with it. We'll see how I like it in a day or so with live ammo. It don't look too bad, but I'm not concerned with looks with this gun. :)

QSibZjW.jpg

Looks great Gunny. I really liked the finger groves and I miss having them on. I was thinking maybe I'll give it a shot only this time try to come up with a way to make the grips stick somehow, but yet not ruin the polymer at the same time.

I'll have to think on that. Any ideas?

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Rei40c said:

Can't think of any glues that would work without damaging either the glove or the grip itself.

Maybe a couple small strips of double sided carpet tape would work, but that would make it harder to put the glove on I think, and maybe not make any improvement. You could install the glove first, then roll back the upper and lower edges a half inch or so to put the tape on, then roll the glove edges back over it. Might work.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
GunnyGene said:
Rei40c said:

Can't think of any glues that would work without damaging either the glove or the grip itself.

Maybe a couple small strips of double sided carpet tape would work, but that would make it harder to put the glove on I think, and maybe not make any improvement. You could install the glove first, then roll back the upper and lower edges a half inch or so to put the tape on, then roll the glove edges back over it. Might work.

Yep that's thing I'm running into, any idea I come up with would make getting that thing on almost impossible. I think the tape idea is probably best. Also it occurred looking at the pic you may not have the same problem I did at all. Keep in mind I have the compact version, and a lot less surface for the grip to hold on to in the grip. It very well may be a non issue for you.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Rei40c said:
GunnyGene said:
Rei40c said:

Yep that's thing I'm running into, any idea I come up with would make getting that thing on almost impossible. I think the tape idea is probably best. Also it occurred looking at the pic you may not have the same problem I did at all. Keep in mind I have the compact version, and a lot less surface for the grip to hold on to in the grip. It very well may be a non issue for you.

I was out back trying it out this morning, and didn't notice any slippage after a couple full mags. Could be what you say about less grip surface. I also have the back strap on mine with the hump up, so that helps I think.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
GunnyGene said:
I was out back trying it out this morning, and didn't notice any slippage after a couple full mags. Could be what you say about less grip surface. I also have the back strap on mine with the hump up, so that helps I think.

I bet that's the trick, Mine is flipped to the flat facing side. If I reverse it to the hump it should provide a better fit. I'm glad it's working out for you.