LCP II Slide Won't Stay Open

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
I have about 200 rounds thru the gun now, without a hiccup. Not a single FTF or FTE. Performance is awesome with 4 different types of ammo. With one exception.

The slide stays open all the time with the last round fired. However, half of the time the slide stop catches on the mag follower but doesn't go all the way up. Then, when the magazine is removed the slide snaps shut.

The slide stop is quite free and well oiled. It's not mag specific - it does it occasionally with 4 different mags, all Ruger OEM. It does it when racking the slide with an empty mag as well, not just after the last round is ejected.

The mags are fully inserted - the "click" is quite evident. With an empty mag I can use a lot of force to pull the slide back, so its not weak ammo or a too tight spring.

Any suggestions? TIA

MalteseHoss

Bearcat
The obvious answer would be limp wristing but if it happens even when manually pulling the slide back then something else must be going on. I'd put another 300 rounds through it and see if it still happens. Also give it a thorough cleaning and inspection. Then I'd call Ruger to make it good. I'm interested to know how you make out so keep us posted.

PM9

Bearcat
I see a lot of this type of issue with literally every semi auto made. Under recoil many times the shooters thumb will momentarily hit the slide stop which will cause a malfunction like this. Best way to determine if this is your issue is shoot a box one handed. If the slide stays open on the last round fired you have the answer to your problem.

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
PM9 said:
I see a lot of this type of issue with literally every semi auto made. Under recoil many times the shooters thumb will momentarily hit the slide stop which will cause a malfunction like this. Best way to determine if this is your issue is shoot a box one handed. If the slide stays open on the last round fired you have the answer to your problem.
Hold the frame in left hand....insert an empty mag....click.....rack the slide watching that nothing touches the slide stop.....slide stop only goes half way up. My thumb is not the issue.

I took apart one mag today and stretched the spring. The next 20 manual slide retracts and it worked OK. I thought I had it. Then on the 21st time it started again.

When the stop is half way up, if I push up on the mag while pulling the slide back the slide stop will go all the way up. I have 4 Ruger mags and they all act the same. The mag release button visually shows no signs of wear and its function seems to be OK.

Thanks for the comments so far...

PM9

Bearcat
Good Info. At this point I would call Ruger. They will fix it fast and free.

louchia

Single-Sixer
Is the mag spring installed correctly? The long end of the spring must push up on the front of the follower.If it is turned the wrong way, the front of the follower will not push up on the slide lock firm enough to cause it to stay open.

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
louchia said:
Is the mag spring installed correctly? The long end of the spring must push up on the front of the follower.If it is turned the wrong way, the front of the follower will not push up on the slide lock firm enough to cause it to stay open.
Funny you said that, because my troubleshooting indicated that the issue was that the front of the follower was not staying up. Actually the follower is a bit wobbly.

I took the mags apart (I have 4 of them) and all had the spring installed the way you said. Just for grins and giggles I reversed them and now all of the mags work. Not 100%, but at least 98%. With the springs in the "right" position, they were 0%.

I also bought two 7 round mags (USA made Ruger) and they work 100%.

In any event I'm happy that it is mag related, not the gun.

I have a call in to Ruger to see if they will replace them with USA mags.

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
GunnyGene said:
Since you asked for suggestions: Sell it. Buy something else that's not a .380 - anything.
I only asked for suggestions how to fix the "issue". I kinda like the little toy. It functions awesome (except for mag - now corrected with 7 rounders). If I want something not a .380 I have several 38s, 357s, 45s, 9 mms, 44 mags, etc.

PM9

Bearcat
louchia said:
Nice call. I never would have guessed all his mag springs were incorrectly installed.

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
Here's an update....

At my request, Ruger sent me 6 round mags that were USA made. They work 100%. Problem solved.

I returned the Italy mags in the pre-paid envelope that they provided.

As always, Ruger Customer Service is tops.

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
GypsmJim said:
I have about 200 rounds thru the gun now, without a hiccup. Not a single FTF or FTE. Performance is awesome with 4 different types of ammo. With one exception.

The slide stays open all the time with the last round fired. However, half of the time the slide stop catches on the mag follower but doesn't go all the way up. Then, when the magazine is removed the slide snaps shut.

The slide stop is quite free and well oiled. It's not mag specific - it does it occasionally with 4 different mags, all Ruger OEM. It does it when racking the slide with an empty mag as well, not just after the last round is ejected.

The mags are fully inserted - the "click" is quite evident. With an empty mag I can use a lot of force to pull the slide back, so its not weak ammo or a too tight spring.

Any suggestions? TIA

Jim,
Is the LCP II any different from the LCP as far as slide lock? My LCP does not lock
up After the last shot either. It appears that there is no provision to make the
slide lock up.
Blackie

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
SR1911SHOOTER said:
GypsmJim said:

Any suggestions? TIA

Jim,
Is the LCP II any different from the LCP as far as slide lock? My LCP does not lock
up After the last shot either. It appears that there is no provision to make the
slide lock up.
Blackie
Yes its different. Lock up is one of the improvements of the II.