Keeping Magazines Loaded

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
I just bought a new LCP II. Very happy with it and I intend to use it as my daily carry. I'll shoot at the range frequently, so the ammo will be cycled. I wonder, though, if I should keep the magazines loaded all the time. Spring compression which could affect reliability? Should I buy a few extra mags and cycle them loaded and unloaded for a week in between? Or am I looking for trouble where there is none?

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
GypsmJim said:
I just bought a new LCP II. Very happy with it and I intend to use it as my daily carry. I'll shoot at the range frequently, so the ammo will be cycled. I wonder, though, if I should keep the magazines loaded all the time. Spring compression which could affect reliability? Should I buy a few extra mags and cycle them loaded and unloaded for a week in between? Or am I looking for trouble where there is none?

Jim,
Don't worry about the mags, or the ammo. if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Blackie

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
SR1911SHOOTER said:

Springs have gotten a lot better in the last 150years :wink: . They don't take a "set" like they used to. What will damage them is really, really, excessive working them which builds up heat in the metal that can damage the temper.

louchia

Single-Sixer
I agree, not to worry. I suggest buying at least 1 other mag and leaving 1 loaded with you SD rounds. After reloading the pistol again and again, you may want to rotate the SD rounds and not leave the same one on top.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I keep mine loaded in all calibers of the ones I use or carry. From what I've read but it's been a long time ago what's hard on the magazine springs is the loading and unloading. I've kept magazines loaded for years and have never had a magazine spring go bad. Maybe I'm just lucky.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
GunnyGene said:
SR1911SHOOTER said:
Springs have gotten a lot better in the last 150years :wink: . They don't take a "set" like they used to. What will damage them is really, really, excessive working them which builds up heat in the metal that can damage the temper.
Are you really going to cycle a magazine spring fast enough to get hot enough to effect the metal's temper? You would need to reach 400ºF or more to achieve this. Not real likely.

As to "resting" springs by unloading the magazines between uses, springs do not recover during non-use, they are not alive. It's a waste of time.

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
I have .30 Carbine 30 round mags that have set over 30 years with 25 or more rounds in them that work as well as ones that have set empty, they all run flawlessly.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Constant loading and unloading of ammo will cause the bullet to set back in the case. I have to cycle out the top round in my 1911 periodically. It gets noticeably shorter after a number of cycles. Bullet setback can dramatically increase pressures when the round is fired.

I hate to cycle out the expensive SD ammo, but it is the price you pay for shooting your SD or CC weapon at the range. I love shooting my 1911, and it makes a great home defense weapon, so you do what you have to.

I'm skeptical of this problem with cycling ammo... but let's assume it is real:

simple solution with your carry or main self defense pistol that is loaded and you are going to take it to the range 'often' to fire and don't want to shoot the expensive ammo... either leave the one expensive round in the chamber and fire that one first followed by the cheap stuff.. or if rules require it for safety... eject and keep that round and do the same thing when firing... this way you have not only gotten rid of that 'reduced' round... but only used up one expensive high end round.

Keep in mind it is not a bad idea to run some of the 'expensive' ammo through the gun every so often just to make sure the two like each other.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
blume357 said:
I'm skeptical of this problem with cycling ammo... but let's assume it is real:

I have seen it for myself. After a couple months of cycling the top round about once a week, I noticed the round looked shorter. I got out the calipers and measured it. It was 35 thousandths shorter than the untouched rounds. Just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I rotated the top round out, and kept track of the COAL of the new one. It started shrinking. I now rotate them out periodically.

I'm sure the amount they shrink per cycle depends on the individual round, how it is crimped, the geometry of the feed ramp in the gun it is cycled through, and probably even the procedure used by the owner when cycling. Some may shrink just a little, or none at all, and others may shrink a whole lot more. I know mine do shrink.

As to whether bullet setback itself is a problem, that is pretty well established. Reduced case capacity is very well recognized as a major factor in increased pressure when firing.

jollymon

Bearcat
I keep my magazines loaded in the gun , Topping off the magazine after clambering a round , It stays that way till I
do my quarterly rotation.
At that time I shoot that ammo , Clean and lube the gun , reload it with fresh ammo in the guns second magazine .
Repeat again the next quarter. I do that with four handguns I have for daily carry , They stay "HOT" always

mistermills357

Blackhawk
I have a Shooting Star that has been loaded for 5 years, and it still functions. It will outlast me, I am 62 and the magazine will outlast me.
If you want to buy a few extra mags, don't worry too much about spring fatigue. Use your birthday to remind you to cycle over to a fresh mag; and unload the old one.

Latest posts