In need of pricing help.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

PM9

Bearcat
A friend is in hospice and offered to give me his LCP (original model) with a Viridian green Reactor laser.
I want to pay him something for the setup so I ask you all what is a fair price? I feel bit guilty doing this deal but already owning an LCP II, I like the platform and this additional gun would probably reside in the car in a very hidden but quickly accessible location.

gunzo

Hunter
New ones are easy enough to look up at places like Bud's, Gun grabber, Davidsons, etc. Find a good price on new, deduct about 25% & then let your conscience be your guide.

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
PM9 said:
A friend is in hospice and offered to give me his LCP (original model) with a Viridian green Reactor laser.
I want to pay him something for the setup so I ask you all what is a fair price? I feel bit guilty doing this deal but already owning an LCP II, I like the platform and this additional gun would probably reside in the car in a very hidden but quickly accessible location.

PM9,
Just a suggestion. If he is a friend, give him a break. Gunbroker has
a few at different prices.
Blackie

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/693861520

hittman

Staff member
Considering brand new LCP-II's can be had for $250 ......... I'm thinking $125 tops on the old original. Dealers around here will give you $75 for one on trade and stick them out for sale at $125.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I'm sorry to hear about your friend in hospice.

You see the brand new standard LCP's for 200.00 or less now days. Since he's in Hospice I would imagine the money is the least of his worries. If you want it I'd offer or give him what you think it fair. I have no idea what a Viridian green Reactor laser is worth.

It will be something to remind you of your friend when he's gone and might even help his family out with expenses.

louchia

Single-Sixer
If he's your friend, I'm sure he would not mind if you took it to a gun shop and got a price. Keeping in mind that what he gives you is lower than what he would sell it for. That might be a good starting point.
If the gun store is where you do business, ask him out right what he would sell it for.
Explain the situation as you did here and get a number.

PM9

Bearcat
louchia said:
If he's your friend, I'm sure he would not mind if you took it to a gun shop and got a price. Keeping in mind that what he gives you is lower than what he would sell it for. That might be a good starting point.
If the gun store is where you do business, ask him out right what he would sell it for.
Explain the situation as you did here and get a number.

That is exactly what I did. Two shops offered $150 for the gun with laser one mag and no box. Apparently the demand for an early LCP is extremely low and the laser added little.
He is not in need of money and he wanted to give me the gun. I thanked him and slipped his wife $200 and feel like everyone came out just fine.

louchia

Single-Sixer
Your a good man and also got a fair deal. If the LGs offered 150, their sail price would of course be higher.

RedLabel

Single-Sixer
I may have a different take on this but if my time was short and I didn't need money I would be offended by payment for what I wanted to give away to a friend. As though my gift needed to be paid for. I don't mean to throw water on your gesture because it was obviously well meaning but just accepting it graciously may have been an option.

PM9

Bearcat
The money was given directly to his wife with the instructions to "take your friends to lunch".